Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Practice regimen/routine

Re Che

Hi all,

I was just wondering what your practice routines are. I dont seem to benefit from my routine which is( I dont really have a routine I follow, although Id like to have one):

I. Warm up

-Scales

-Rythms

-Finger Excercises

-Sight Read

II.Play along with the recording of a tune I

already know

III.Work on a new song that i struggle with

-Melody

-Improvisation

-Then play along with a recording if it

IV.Theory

V. Listening

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a good routine to me.

Get out and play with other musicians (if you're not already).

Change up the order in which you do things and don't spend a lot of time on tunes you already know.

Try to improv something vocally and then play it on your bass. These are just a few suggestions.

Good Luck!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It looks like a very comprehensive regimin to me. But, unless you are practicing 4+ hours a day, I can see how some subject matters may not get the deserved time. Such as reading, and theory. Mainly things that involve problem solving and investigating. Things like physical exercises should be done every day. If I have a good workout day, I'll spend 30min on my right hand alone and so on.

Please forgive me if I'm reading this wrong. It sounds like you've got the right idea, but may be dabbling in too many things at once. Pick the things that are most important to you, practice them every day. Probably excercises, scales and so on. Then alternate days on things you want to concentrate and progress significantly on. Reading, improv, transcribing. You should be able to touch on at least everything lightly, but maybe feel like your progressing in certain departments more frequently.

Also, I hate to say it, but the ULTRA fun stuff, improv, song writing, and so on. Save it for the very last if you don't already. It's easy to get lost in that stuff, wondering where all the time went. Also to me that is a seprate mood. People revamp thier practice routine constantly, depending on the big task at hand or just trying to refine the effective or fun value. basshappi is right though. Play with as many people as you can. You'll learn tons that way.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Try taking lessons.. That always shakes things up in a good way!

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

that looks to me like an excellent regimen. I would, however, concentrate some days on certain areas.

I always start each day with about a half hour of scales, arpeggios and finger exercises to get the old joints moving. I gig a lot, so after the warm up I go to either working on songs I have to learn or work on a certain aspect of music, like metronome work, or sightreading, or learning some more standards. My point being not to spread myself too thin over covering everything everyday. I have found that after the initial warm up I get more accomplished by focusing on one aspect for the rest of my practice time as opposed to 2 or three. But everyone has different ways of approaching it and this is just what works for me. It sounds to me like you have a good plan, I would maybe just try to focus it more some days.

Thanks,

I already have a teacher. I figure that I will practice different stuff each day. Here's my tentative practice schedule:

Monday:

I. warm-up

-Scales

II.Work on new Technique

-Tap etc.

III.Play along with recordings

Tuesday

I.Warm-up

-Scales

II.Sight-Reading

III.Read off charts that I havent played yet.

IV. Listening

Wednesday

I. Warm-up

-Scales

II.Work on New Tune

III.Transcribe

Thursday

I. Warm-up

-Scales

II.Work on New Technique

-Harmonics etc.

III.Play along with Recordings

Friday

I. Warm-up

-Scales

II. Play songs I already know

III.Transcribe

Saturday

I. Play along with Drummer

Sunday

I. Warm-up

-scales

II.Work on New Tune

III.Transcription

This is my tentative. As you can see, Im big on scales and transcribing stuff. I think that trasncribing music helps develop your ear(duh)*smacks self for writing something obvious*. Anyway is this a good routine, I only get bout

1 hour per day cept Saturday. Thanks

Archived