Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Identity Crisis - are there answers?

Rick Hoffman

Hey fellow bass players, bassists, frustrated guitar players, etc

I've been playing bass for a long time. I also played guitar at several points in time, at one time exclusively played guitar. I am much more developed and polished with the bass, guitar I can play simple rythms and some simple lead riffs.

Well, I just got into this blues band and this singer has been lookin for a guitar player with feel and emotion for so long. THe current guitar player is alright, well, he's very good, but doesn't have the feel. One night when it was just me there i plugged in and played and my lead singer took a shit and said holy cow you're what we're lookin for, you're our new guitar player!

I was like huh? Now i know i'm not a developed or even halfway decent guitar player, and these guys have lots of experience. I always played "closet guitar" and mainly stepped out on bass.

Guitar helped me understand music better and i always think if a guitar riff in my head or chords or melodies etc when i play bass alone.

So for now I'm playing the singer's Les Paul thru a vintage fender bassman 100 head an cab, all tube, and itsounds great.

I want to stay on the bass and look for a really good guitar player who plays how i play but better.

I have a great bluesy simple style and a good ear for writing stuff so maybe thats why the singer got so excited.

But the Q is, do I want to develop my guitar playing skills with the band and put the bass on the shelf for a while? Or do I stick with my instrument of choice and audition guitar players.

It feels nice to step into a sort of alter ego and get out on the front line. Maybe I just need more attention at home... :confused:

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interesting question. I often think about how we so easily lose sight of the bigger picture and think of ourselves as only being able to relate to music through a specfic instrument. We should strive to be musicians first and foremost and not allow our instruments to act as blinders to the whole world of musical expression that lies open before us.

This seems to me to be very pronounced among bassplayers. I believe that the struggle for legitimancy is a factor here. Many of us develop a fierce loyality to the bass (not only because we happen to actually LOVE IT) because we have had to defend ourselves from the criticisms such as; bass is somehow an inferior instrument due to having fewer strings thus it's easier to play, or that it is the fall back for "failed guitarists" or that synths have made us obsolete, blah,blah,blah. How many of us here have been in the situation of having some other bandmember(with no bass playing experience) have the audacity to instruct us how we should play our instrument or tell us to "keep to our proper place"?

I think some of us feel as if we are "betraying" Bass if we decide to step out with some other instrument(especially guitar :D ). But try to remember that what attracted you first was music. Before you decided on what instrument to play weren't you just thrilled and excited to hear music and to visualize yourself creating it or up on stage performing it?

The whole point is the joyof making music not the specifics of how.If someone is fulfilled by playing only a particular instrument, fine and good but there is nothing wrong with multi-instrumentalism.

So I say if you are truly enjoying strapping on a guitar and making great music, then by God, Go For It!The bass will still be there any time you want to play it.

Gee..what is this soapbox doing here? Sorry 'bout that folks, I'll go back to my corner now. :o

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Hiyas Cliff...

I understand the delemna you're feeling. Seems to me it's just another example that talent and fretboard prowess are not a prerequisite for taste and feel. I'm gonna get on the "do both" bandwagon.

Recently, my band has also been unable to find the "right" guitarist. So... since our keyboardist also plays bass guitar, I've recently been roped into handling a lot of guitar duties.

Now, I've been playing guitar a lil longer than bass (28/25 yrs respectively), but anyone who's heard me knows I'm a way better bassist. Sure enough though, the singer heard me do the first song and said "Great"!

Though a lil daunted at first, after 3 weeks of rehearsals, I'm actually starting to have fun with the whole mess. What the hell, bro... go with it. I'm a big fan of "whatever works", ya know? Besides, down the road, this sort of versatility will only reflect well on you.

Give us a shout if they put ya behind the keys, too. :D

Oh... good news!! As I was typing this reply, I got the call... we found our guitarist!

Think I'm heading back to bass exclusively? Ummmm... fuhgetaboutit...

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Originally posted by basshappi:

This is an interesting question. I often think about how we so easily lose sight of the bigger picture and think of ourselves as only being able to relate to music through a specfic instrument. We should strive to be musicians first and foremost and not allow our instruments to act as blinders to the whole world of musical expression that lies open before us.

This seems to me to be very pronounced among bassplayers. I believe that the struggle for legitimancy is a factor here. Many of us develop a fierce loyality to the bass (not only because we happen to actually LOVE IT) because we have had to defend ourselves from the criticisms such as; bass is somehow an inferior instrument due to having fewer strings thus it's easier to play, or that it is the fall back for "failed guitarists" or that synths have made us obsolete, blah,blah,blah. How many of us here have been in the situation of having some other bandmember(with no bass playing experience) have the audacity to instruct us how we should play our instrument or tell us to "keep to our proper place"?

I think some of us feel as if we are "betraying" Bass if we decide to step out with some other instrument(especially guitar :D ). But try to remember that what attracted you first was music. Before you decided on what instrument to play weren't you just thrilled and excited to hear music and to visualize yourself creating it or up on stage performing it?

The whole point is the joyof making music not the specifics of how.If someone is fulfilled by playing only a particular instrument, fine and good but there is nothing wrong with multi-instrumentalism.

So I say if you are truly enjoying strapping on a guitar and making great music, then by God, Go For It!The bass will still be there any time you want to play it.

Gee..what is this soapbox doing here? Sorry 'bout that folks, I'll go back to my corner now. :o

thats how i feel about it too :)

you are correct sir hehe

i (embarrasingly) used to feel that way about the 'bass player who leaves the band and has a solo career and now hes a guitarist', for instance, lets say paul mccarteny (or sting.... whatever) now yes they still play bass but it always seemed to me that whenever paul had the chance to play the guitar instead he did, and i sorta disagreed with that, yea you said it, 'bass loyalty'

but what its really about is communicating your ideas via the instrument however you want to do it, via bass, guitar, piano, kazoo whatever.... use what ever you need to

now sir mccartney is one of my most revered and influenced by players, defintely top 3 if not even number 1!

all i regret is ever being close minded about it in the first place... :cry::P

anyways, yea basshappi, um yea i agree

took me a while to say it tho, huh? :P

:thu:thu

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally posted by basshappi:

lot's of good stuff here but cut for this reply

Word.

Do what ya feel and keep both feet on the wheel. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

Seriously, man.. do whatever it is that you feel is going to allow you to express yourself musically. I play guitar and bass as well. I'm a closet guitar player right now, but I used to be in bands where I was one of the guitar players and not the bass player. It was fun. It's different than being bass boy. I neglected my guitar playing for years because I was concentrating so much on playing just bass. I have lost my guitar chops big time because of this. I regret this. There are a lot of things that I used to be able to play on guitar that I can't even begin to play now; it almost feels like I'm starting all over again on guitar.

Play. Go forth and conquer. Be it bass or guitar. Do it. Really.

The area where you live is rich with talent. My suggestion is to find another person who plays guitar and bass. Then divide the music so you share the duties.

We took on a sax/harp player. He also plays guitar and bass. I expect to sit a song or two (or maybe sing?) so he can cover the bottom.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the replies. I feel the same as most of you. I guess its safe to say that I am musically schizo...haha I mean I feel comfortable expressing myself through guitar or bass, and they are two totally different musical personalities. Or maybe not...who knows. I don't care I just play.

I worked on chops and soloing the other day...runnin some pentatonic stuff in A - its so easy and sounds so good I mean come on man.

I think guitar players actually have it easy. Its nice to step into another pair of shoes for a while.

As far as instrument experience, I'd say 10 years on bass and 5 on guitar.

Ok so now, next Question. Should my next purchase be a vintage american made Strat or a vintage Jazz bass. hmmmm....

Or if i had the loot maybe a Les Paul Standard?

hehe uh oh I should have seen this coming...

alright well guys i went out and bought a fender highway strat USA made model great guitar for what i want, and i also picked up a marshall 100 watt jcm 800 all tube head to go with my bassman cab. should sound good

well next item on the list is an ampeg SVT all tube bass head hehehehe

Quick Update

I've been on the guitar now and its sounding good, the Marshall sounds GREAT thru the fender cab. It's a big cab with 4 10's, moves a lot of air.

Anyway we auditioned some guitar players anyway at my request, as we all feel that a decent bass player would be hard to come by.

After auditioning a couple guys ( whom I thought played better than I but didn't sound better )the rest of the band still wants me on guitar instead of bass. They say the band has more attitude and feel that way.

So, if this is how it is going to be, where are we going to find a bass player. Hmmm

I think eventually a good guitar player will cross our paths, and I'll get back to bassics.

Cheers, all.

Archived