Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dealing with Fodera

fig

I ordered one set of strings from them back on March 19. Two weeks later I called for a status check, but was informed they are backlogged in orders and it'll be another week. Ok, cool.

I call again the following week and was informed again they are backlogged, it'll be another week. Ok, fine.

I called two days ago, one full month after the order, and they said they are backlogged. I said, that's not good, let me speak with someone who knows what's going on. That day, they found my order and said they'd get on it (grrr!) and would call me the following day with the status.

They didn't call, I'm a little torqued. On top of that, though not an issue, but an irritant, is both people I talked with thru the month each had a heavy foreign accent, Indian and Oriental respectively, with which I would lose up to 50 percent of the conversation and have to ask them to repeat themselves.

I've heard great things about Fodera strings, but so far I've got an image of some chump change company, thru which a letter to the Better Business Bureau might be a good idea.

I'll call them back later today, but this just isn't anyway to do business.

Has anyone else had problems with these folks?

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, generally i don't like the whole idea of fodera, but that's a personal thing.

let me just chime in on the nature of a small business: being what they are small businesses are going to f#$k up every once in a while. there are a number of reasons why this could happen but one experience is not enough to indict the whole company.

i've heard a ton of complaints just like this about a number of businesses that i know to be quality. i'm not saying it's not a valid beef, you got terrible service and if you don't want to ever do business with them again then that's entirely the right thing to do for you. but first i would do exactly what you're doing: get other opinions on the business before deciding.

as for the better business bureau, THAT is a big crock of dookie. first of all, all they are is a consumer service company that tells you what kind of company you're getting into bed with: they have no power to penalize a business meaningfully. secondly they only deal with businesses that register with their organization. if you call to complain about a business outside of their network there's nothing they can or will do.

worse case scenario you never get your strings. if you get your money back all that you lost was a little time.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Yeah Ace, I was only getting others opinions before deciding on a plan of action. The letter to the BBB was only for informational purposes for others who, like myself, check on a company before dealing with them. I didn't check previously on Fodera, as they aren't an unknown in the business world. Interestingly enough, I checked today, and they aren't listed with the national BBB, or the more localized New York BBB.

I'm just surprised and a little irritated that they didn't find my order until a month later, though my account was charged immediately for the purchase (thru their merchant account, I'm sure, so I can't lay blame on that.). I tried emailing them twice, thru their weblink, and by hand, and the emails keep getting bounced back as undeliverable. Full mailbox maybe? Doesn't matter.

I did try calling again just now, but the woman who told me she'd call back the other day is on another line.

I have full hope that today will resolve this. I'm just getting my ducks in a row in case it doesn't.

they charged your credit card before processing your order? that's wrong. all the small businesses i've dealt with wait until the order is processed before they charge you to minimize customer dissatisfaction in just such an occurance. yes, get pissed, cancel your order, demand a refund, tell everyone they suck and why and never do business with them again.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I tried calling back, as she was busy earlier, but she's gone for the day. Will try again tomorrow. Poopy :(

Yeah, my credit card was charged already. No big deal, but I asked two weeks ago, telling them my order confirmation number, what the status was. I was told backlog. So how can they give me a status check, on my personal order, using the confirmation number they sent me, when they only found my order two days ago? That tells me they didn't even check the first time I gave them the confirmation number. That's either total unorganization, or flat out lying to me.

I still can't understand why on two seperate days that my emails got bounced back saying they are undeliverable, but the mailer daemon will keep trying to deliver them for a period of time, then will quit trying. I would think that Fodera, being in business since 1983, would have the email system worked out and/or the people to handle email orders/inquiries in a timely manner. Totally unsat!

I was told two days ago, when they finally found my order, that I would get a phone call the following day, to update me on the status of my order. I never got the call the following day, or today. Now, she's gone for the day, 1.5 hours earlier than their normal quitting time. Total disregard for a customer.

Not registering with the BBB is interesting in itself. Not an issue, just a curiosity as to why a company would elect to not give their customer base a sense of security by registering with the BBB. Hmm, maybe aware of their own failings and aren't willing to be held accountable? I don't know. I knew a business owner who, in so many words, said that's why he didn't register with them, either, so it's a possibility.

Ace, I don't know if you're being facetious, or not, but I fully understand stuff slips thru the cracks. I'm not going on a hell-bent rampage against Fodera. But an awareness of shoddy business practices needs to be put out to the customers, and spreading this awareness of possible problems with them to fellow bassists seems the least I can do.

So, I can't help my impression of a chump change business, as this timely delay is not a result of just one person or incident, but multiple events and circumstances.

Just curious, Ace, what's your hard-on about Fodera?

I've bought strings from Fodera for a couple of years and have always found them to be extremely helpful. I, however, live in Staten Island and just call them up, drive into Brooklyn and get the strings. Usually the girls in the front help me out (Colombian and Oriental) and they are always very professional and efficient.

That said, you do have a valid complaint and all I can say is that like Cracker said, they are a small business and they get a LOT of high level players coming through for setups etc and a regular basis. That is not a defense just a possible explanation. Try calling and asking for David Beasely. He has very often handled my calls and is extremely helpful. Try again and good luck.

Have you paid your credit card bill yet? One final defense you may have if you never get Fodera on the phone is to call your credit card company and tell them that you are refusing to pay your bill because the vendor never processed your order after charging you.

The credit card companies don't like it when vendors do that. They call the vendors up and ask "where's our money?"

I would use the above tactic as a last resort though...it sounds like you're pretty close.

Finally got the Fodera strings today. Along with a D'Addario set of half-rounds I ordered from Just Strings (took only three days...woohoo!).

I'd called again the day after my last post for the status. The oriental gal said she thought she'd shipped it a long time ago. I asked to please double check, and gave her my order number. She said, "Here it is. I'll put it in the mail today." Thank you, Mrs. Helpy Helperton. Jeez....

I would've gotten them thru Just Strings, but they didn't carry the length and gauge I wanted. I'm looking forward to trying the Foderas, as I've heard good things about them. However, the D'Addarios arrived about twenty minutes before the Foderas, so I was already stringing the D'Addarios.

Anyway, I'm glad that's over. If I like the Foderas, I'll probably order a few sets at a time.

Way good add-on to this post.

I didn't open the Fodera package until tonite, as I'd already re-strung with the D'Addarios.

Lo and behold, they sent an extra set of strings as comp for the delay. Especially good, as one set cost 47 bucks. They more than made up for that month long wait.

Killer good and I'll call them tomorrow and thank them.

I'm glad they took care of you- when i met Joey, he sure seemed like a customer oriented person! i think the oriental lady you spoke with might be Lincoln Goines' wife! i hope you were nice to her, he might come looking for you!! ;)

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Glad this worked out for you...

Oddly enough, back in the day when Mars was clearing out, I picked up some Fodera's and D'addario 1/2 rounds from them on they same day. For my 4 banger, the Fodera's were 44-106 Stainless... my favorite strings so far, but DR's are right up there.

The D'addario's are a different beasty all together - mine got removed when I didn't like them then were resurrected about 2 years later as a back up set. They served their time and won't be replaced (maybe one day on a fretless...) YMMV - they may be exactly what you're after.

- Matt W.

Archived