Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

takin' care of blisters

jimbojones

I was slapping last night for a few hours straight, and I haven't done it for a good few months. I got a nice little blister on my middle finger. I know this aint a medical forum, but I was wondering, since this seems to be a pretty common thing in guitar playing (especially bass), what are the best ways of not getting them or getting rid of them (before gigs and shows)?
primus sucks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blister Care BY Dan Prine MD

If you get a blister, you'll want to relieve your pain, keep the blister from enlarging, and stave off infection. Specific steps depend on the size of the blister and whether or not it is intact. You can treat the vast majority of blisters yourself and need to call a doctor only if blisters become infected, recur frequently, form in unusual locations, or are very severe. Signs of infection include pus draining from the blister, very red or warm skin around the blister, and red streaks leading away from the blister.

Small, intact blisters that don't cause discomfort usually need no treatment. Nature's best protection against infection is a blister's own skin, or roof. To protect the roof, this type of blister can be covered with a small adhesive bandage if practical.

Larger or painful blisters that are intact should be drained without removing the roof. First clean the blister with rubbing alcohol or antibiotic soap and water. Then heat a straight pin or safety pin over a flame until the pin glows red, and allow it to cool before puncturing a small hole at the edge of the blister.

Drain the fluid with gentle pressure, then apply an antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin with polymyxin B (double antibiotic ointment) or bacitracin alone. Avoid ointments that contain neomycin because they are more likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Finally, cover the blister with a bandage. Change the dressing daily--more frequently if it becomes wet, soiled, or loose.

Blisters with small tears are treated the same as those that you have punctured. Blisters with larger tears should be "unroofed" carefully with fine scissors, and the base should be cleansed thoroughly with soap and water or an antibacterial cleanser. Apply antibiotic ointment and bandages as described above.

Additional padding may be necessary for exercise or sports. Ring-shaped pads made of felt will protect small blisters. Larger blisters may require dressings. Some of the many available dressing materials are DuoDerm (ConvaTec, Princeton, New Jersey), Spenco 2nd Skin (Spenco Medical Corporation, Waco, Texas), Vigilon (CR Bard Inc, Murray Hill, New Jersey), and Opsite (Smith & Nephew United, Largo, Florida). Additional, doughnutshaped padding made of felt or lamb's wool may be applied over the area surrounding the blister. Then the entire dressing can be applied to help keep the dressing in place on sweaty skin.

www.danielprine.com

blisters can hurt like a sonofabitch. here is the Urban Commando's guide to on stage blister wranglin:

bite it. sounds f@#ked up but it's proven sound in the animal kingdom. ever hear "licking his wounds?" animals lick wounds to help them heal and protect against infection. bite a tiny little hole in the roof with your front teeth, and ball a tight fist to drain it. give it a gentle suck where arrangement permits to keep it clean and stave off the pain. afterwards clean the hell out of it and cover it in neosporin and a bandaid.

note: IGNORE this advice if you are playing on the lower east side.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

If I want an infection i'll put it in my mouth. The mouth is the dirtiest part of the body (my grandpa's a doctor), for "it is outside the body"(Dr. Drew Pinskey). The reasons animals lick their wounds (especially dogs) is because they have some sort of enzyme or substance that kills germs that is produced in their saliva. It's instinct for them. Also, I don't know abut you, but I don't like having blister- juice popped in my mouth.
primus sucks

Archived