Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underrated singers

DJDM, you're talking about underexposed, not underated. My list for now: Chet Baker: Oh man, his androginous(sp?) voice is soooo smooth. Trumpet playings not too shabby either. Tom Waits: There's something about whiskey and cigarette voices that I love. The opposite of Chet. Willie Nelson: Makes me cry. josh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oliveloafe: [b]"DJDM, you're talking about underexposed, not underated."[/b] _______________________________________________ Nope. I mean underrated alright. They may be underexposed as well, but they are definitely underrated.

Lugee Alfredo Giovanni Sacco? I'm talking about my favorite singer...LOU CHRISTIE! Talk about falsetto??? 4 octave range. Amazing song writer and performer. Today, Lou still hits all the same high notes that he recorded 40 years ago!

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b] One that hasn't been mentioned who I feel is the best SOUL singer of all time - Gladys Knight. She's never gotten the props that Aretha has, but IMO, she's just as good, if not better. [/b][/quote]Gladys is the best female singer to come out of the Motown stable, bar none. Good call, Phil. RP

[quote]Originally posted by autistic bliss: [b]David Bowie Good call on Robin Zander. Adrian Belew David Byrne Deborah Harry I'm stuck in a style period, here! Beck PJ Harvey. Jeff Buckley probably isn't considered underrated, but we'll put him on the list because it's impossible to overrate him.[/b][/quote]i saw cheap trick in 1977,zander was unbeleivable back then,extremely loud,powerful in tune and brilliant, great rock vocalist very gifted

Another old favorite who I've been getting back into after not really listening to much of her for too many years... Ella. [b]No one[/b] - male or female - ever did scat singing better than her. She put all but the most gifted of instrumental soloists to absolute shame with just her voice. And for you kids who don't know who "Ella" is, just go ask your parents. But don't let that put you off - you should definitely check her stuff out. My 24 year old calls Ella Fitzgerald her all time favorite singer... I'm very tempted to agree. Probably the finest female singer ever... certainly the best jazzer.

[quote]Originally posted by DJDM: [b]Ok... Karen Peris from Inocence Mission YOU don't know who they are because they truly are UNDERRATED! On the other hand I could be simply misunderstanding your definition of "underrated"... Cheers, - DJDM[/b][/quote]Karen Peris' voice took a little bit for me to get used to because of its timbre, but I do really like her singing. What is really underrated is her husband Don's guitar playing in Innocence Mission. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. And the tone captured on releases like "Glow" are stunning. Beautiful, big-as-bells notes. "Underrated" is simply "underrated", not necessarily unknown. Now, I'm going to stick my head out on the chopping block here and say that Christina Aguilera is underrated. She is lumped in with people like Britney Spears for being talentless. I don't like Aguilera's music at all, but she is a really talented singer, often overlooked by others. Because of that, I'd say that she is "underrated".

Archived