Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underrated singers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see that someone included Glenn Tilbrook. I clicked on this thread while listening to Squeeze's "Play", and was thinking I oughta post Glenn. If you ever get a chance to see him on this solo acoustic tour he's in the middle of, DO IT. It will be an essential part of your musical life. As well, I say David Clayton-Thomas. Others include: Andy Stuermer (Jellyfish) Jude Cole Richard Page (Mr. Mister/his solo album is wonderful) Nik Kershaw Robbie Nevil The Rembrandts (Phil and Danny)
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Bernard Sumner (New Order) Patti Smith Tom Verlaine (Television) Jonathan Richman David Johansen (great with NY Dolls!) Stan Ridgway Pops Staples Dieter Meier (Yello) Super star song writers, but IMNSHO largely underrated as vocalists: Bob Dylan Willie Nelson The Man in Black Tom Waits Neil Young Lou Reed Jimi Hendrix Randy Newman /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by markvincent: [b]Doc Neeson- The Angels I like people with unusual voices.[/b][/quote]Ditto Doc Neeson. Ah the memories of my youth. Mike Patton And the most under-appreciated vocalist ever in rock and roll .... Robin Zander!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Mats Olsson: [b]Bernard Sumner (New Order) Patti Smith Tom Verlaine (Television) Jonathan Richman David Johansen (great with NY Dolls!) Stan Ridgway Pops Staples Dieter Meier (Yello) Super star song writers, but IMNSHO largely underrated as vocalists: Bob Dylan Willie Nelson The Man in Black Tom Waits Neil Young Lou Reed Jimi Hendrix Randy Newman /Mats[/b][/quote]Dynamite list, man. It's going to pretty difficult to top John Magpel's Pere Ubu vote as far as balls-to-the-wall + obscure but David Johansen and Dieter Meier... :thu: David Johansen solo as Buster Poindexter has done some fine stuff, a live tune he did about a Whore with a Heart of Gold... main ingredient stuff. Who sang "You ain't worth the salt in my tears" ? Great song, main ingredient there, too. "Roooooland the Thompson Gunner..." there's a fine singer, name escapes me at this drunken moment. "Never met a girl like you before..." another tune I heard years ago but don't know who did. A-1 pop song, good singer, must be under-rated because I don't even know who it was. If you're into singers, you need to check out pre-war opera singers. Don't know how many hours of eye-rolling and smug smirking from music professors I've had to endure when it comes to those characters, but for all their "tacky romantic mannerisms" and "technical deficiencies", the opera singers of way back when kicked ass. Caruso, million-seller, some serious heavy-metal baritone cranked up into the tenor range, awesome. Chaliapin, Boerling, Tetrazzini, Gigli... main ingredient all the way. After the war there were a few, like Callas and Corelli, Baltsa, Christoff, Szekeley, then it turned mostly into a noo-vo-reesh exercise in uptightness. Seriously, check it out. -Bobro

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b][QUOTE] "Never met a girl like you before..." another tune I heard years ago but don't know who did. A-1 pop song, good singer, must be under-rated because I don't even know who it was. -Bobro[/b][/quote]"A girl like you" - I believe that was Edwyn Collins. Other hep cats: Gary Clail (Tackhead + Solo) Ian Dury Ebbot Lundberg (The Soundtrack of our Lives) Howlin' Pelle Almqvist (The Hives) Alan Vega /Mats

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [QB"Roooooland the Thompson Gunner..." there's a fine singer, name escapes me at this drunken moment. -Bobro[/QB][/quote]Warren Zevon. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Underrated, I would guess Ronnie Dio and Robert Plant hardly fall into underrated, so let me think about some who don't get talked about that much 1. Definitely Gilmour and Waters 2. SRV .. I love his voice 3. Ian Gillan 4. Ian Anderson (if he can be considered underrated) 5. Frank Zappa 6. Adrian Belew 7. Donald Fagen About Geddy Lee .. I actually love his voice, but I bet he'd sound very strange in a non-rush context. prog

Mats, when you say Never Met a Girl Like You Before was it the early seventies hit called Suavecito by the band Malo feturing Santana's brother Jorge on guitar. A few months ago I found their website, I always loved that song. The singer Richard Bean was sill in high school and wrote the lyrics to that song in math class. Paul.

Carmen McRae Brenda Holloway Bryan Duncan John Gary Williams (The Mad Lads) ... to name a few. Never thought of Callas as pop but I've been into many opera singers over the years.
-- Music has miracle potential --

-Patrice Rushen (queen of the baby girl voice) -Jean Carne (Patti Labelle without the goddess diva stage presence) -Rochelle Ferrell (The Sarah Vaughn of our era!) -Rocky Robbins (The 1st Peabo Bryson)
TROLL . . . ish.

Ok... I am a little confused. Was this thread about underrated singers? Everyone is listing their "favorite" singers here. There is nothing wrong with Bono, Randy Travis and Mark Knofler but com'on!! These are HUGE multinational-major-lable-gravy-sucking-fat-cat-havemore$$frommyMASSIVEexposureAsAnArtist on every payola list and get more airplay in a day than most of this entire board will in their cotton pickin lives, artists!!!!!!! My List? Harris Thurmond and Fiia McGann of Orbiter Jill Cohn of Jill Cohn Karen Peris from Inocence Mission Brandon Jerwa from Omnibox (At one time when I was only one of 30k people to buy his first album on vinyl, I would have said "Chris Issac", but he is doing fine now. ;) ) What's that? You have never heard of any of these people?!?!? They are all VERY talented and most of them are local to my hometown of Seattle, (Except Karen Peris). YOU don't know who they are because they truly are UNDERRATED! On the other hand I could be simply misunderstanding your definition of "underrated"... Cheers, - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by trick fall: [b]I think the only ones that Matts missed for me were Debbie Harry, Joey Ramone and Iggy.[/b][/quote]What about Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)? IMO Devo was even more disturbed than Talking Heads or XTC at the time. Devo's incredible version of (I can't get no) Satisfaction is almost as far from Rolling Stones as The Residents' version. I bet Brian Eno helped them to push the envelope, the whole album (Q: Are we not men?) is a milestone. They gave the word "Dysfunctional" a new meaning. /Mats

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]tom jones -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com [/b][/quote]Guy goes in to see his therapist and says "Doc, whenever I see my cat, I start singing 'What's new pussycat?'. Furthermore, whenever I see a great looking woman, I start singing 'Delilah'. What's wrong with me?" The therapist says..."Sounds like you have 'Tom Jones Syndrome'". "Tom Jones syndrome?!?!?! Is it common?" The therapist replies "It's not unusual..."
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by progfusion74: [b]Underrated, About Geddy Lee .. I actually love his voice, but I bet he'd sound very strange in a non-rush context. prog[/b][/quote]Take Off from Bob & Doug's album. Oh Canada from the South Park movie. My Favourite Headache (his solo album). Battlescar (w/Max Webster) You've never heard Ged outside of RUSH? -- Rob RUSH fan since 1978
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived