Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underrated singers

Who are some vocalists that you think are sorely underrated? Here's a couple for me: Simon LeBon (Duran Duran)- Not technically perfect, but he has great, memorable melodies. Dismissed because of the teenie bopper image. Esthero - She has such a gorgeous voice. It's a real crime that Britney/Christina get so much attention, yet a true talent like Esthero goes widely unnoticed. I don't think her record was given enough promotion, and sadly faded away (I hope she's working on new music).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by meriphew: [b]Who are some vocalists that you think are sorely underrated? Here's a couple for me: Simon LeBon (Duran Duran)- Not technically perfect, but he has great, memorable melodies. Dismissed because of the teenie bopper image. [/b][/quote]I think that Duran Duran are OK on record, but Simon's ability to sing flat for their entire Live Aid performance is why I dismiss him as a singer. Let's see, whom do I consider underrated? Levon Helm from The Band, John Belushi (the Blues Brothers stuff was realy strong), John Hiatt, Kenny Loggins and Richard Thompson, just to name a few. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I definitely have a few that I keep in mind, just to remind myself that talent doesn`t always get its proper due. Whoever was the lead singer for the girl group Expose in the 80s-wow! Cathy Dennis- Robin Trower`s lead singer/bassist-what the heck happened to him after Trower, anyway? Youssou N` Dour-he has done some nice collaborations but hasn`t gotten attention for his solo work

Malford Milligan (ex-of Storyville from Austin, now in the Boneshakers). Maybe not so underrated as he is underexposed. An amazing, intense live performer...sometimes you can catch him on Austin City limits.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

[quote]Originally posted by meriphew: [b]Esthero - She has such a gorgeous voice. It's a real crime that Britney/Christina get so much attention, yet a true talent like Esthero goes widely unnoticed. I don't think her record was given enough promotion, and sadly faded away (I hope she's working on new music).[/b][/quote]I met Esthero when she was in Philly a few months ago working on some new material with James Poyser and Axis Music Group (D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Kenny Latimore, Eric Benet et. al.). I am not sure how much of her next project they were doing, but considering how unique her first project was and the fact they are selective about who they work with, I am sure whatever makes her new CD is going to be hot.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

[quote]Originally posted by Outrider: [b]Malford Milligan (ex-of Storyville from Austin, now in the Boneshakers). Maybe not so underrated as he is underexposed. An amazing, intense live performer...sometimes you can catch him on Austin City limits.[/b][/quote]Dude..you're reading my mind!!!!! Add Doyle Bramhall II to that list.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Jimi Although they do him pretty good in Grove's Dictionary of Music (paraphrase): "Although not conventionally pretty, his voice is always convincing, and he makes excellent use of sprechstimme [heightened speech]."

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Michelle N'dege Cello has a wonderful voice. Lisa Gerrard and Esthero are amazing. Jeff Buckley(O.K. everybody that knows about him knows he's a great singer so let's just call him underexposed) Bono-it trips me out when people say this guy can't sing. He's one of the best rock vocalist I've ever heard. That's all I can think of for now. Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

[quote]Originally posted by dblackjedi: [b] Lisa Gerrard and Esthero are amazing. Jedi[/b][/quote]Haven't heard Esthero, but it's hard to forget getting your ass beat for listening to "faggot-ass wierdo shit" like Lisa Gerard when Dead Can Dance first came out. For me it was a natural extension of modern classical music, which was turning its sites on the neo-Medieval at the time- it was marketed at that time as "gothic" or something, and now it's mainstream...can't describe how happy I am that a real singer gets some honor and cash, albeit 20 years after busting out. Most under-rated Pop singer of 20th Century- Maria Callas Most under-rated Classical Singer of 20th Century- Scott Walker It's easy to spot the Real Thing, the squares go off on how bad or how "only technical" it is when it comes out.

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]Robin Trower`s lead singer/bassist-what the heck happened to him after Trower, anyway? [/b][/quote]That was James Dewar and, unfortunately, I only know that because he just died. I wasn't a big Trower fan but I did have Twice Removed from Yesterday when I was a kid. Let's see, underrated singers. I'm afraid I don't know most singers' ratings, but I'll say Glenn Tilbrook David Thomas from Pere Ubu David Clayton Thomas from Blood Sweat and Tears Dave Thomas from Wendys Dave Thomas from SCTV Andy Partridge and all vocalists who sound like barking seals
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

From seeing some threads here before, I'll say Elvis Presley. Also maybe Elvis Costello while on the subject of Elvii. Oh, and Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees. That was him singing wasn't it? :)

[quote]Originally posted by zzzzz: [b]Ian Gillan- Deep Purple Chris Cornell-Soundgarden Layne Staley-Alice In Chains[/b][/quote]All great choices!! :thu: How about Ronnie James Dio and Rob Halford?
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

SRV was a great guitar player but I can't even listen to his music because he sings like he has a mouthfull of cottonballs. I know he gave his all as a performer so I mean no disrespect but I just can't tolerate the sound of his voice. Geddy Lee has a weird voice for sure but to see him live will tell you that he is a singer before a musician, The opposite of SRV. Paul.

[quote]Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: [b]"Most under-rated Pop singer of 20th Century- Maria Callas" The opera singer? For sure the Floyd folks deserve a mention. Ted[/b][/quote]Yes indeed, she was one hell of a Pop singer- take a listen to her again and think about it in that way. And Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers should really be listened to by a lot more classical folks, because technical stuff aside (but not too aside) he's got the main ingredient.

definitely, from the country side of things, Randy Travis Eric Johnson can sing! I`ve only heard A via musicom but he has a nice voice. Someone mentioned Greg Rolie-anybody who thinks they know Journey needs to hear their forst three albums-total musician albums. I think Rolie had the potential to be a great singer but his phrasing and intonation was wobbly, to my ears. I liked John Wetton with U.K.-the group-supergroup really-Asia, was a big disappointment to me. Good playing but really boring, uninvolving songs.

[quote]Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com: [b]SRV was a great guitar player but I can't even listen to his music because he sings like he has a mouthfull of cottonballs. I know he gave his all as a performer so I mean no disrespect but I just can't tolerate the sound of his voice. Geddy Lee has a weird voice for sure but to see him live will tell you that he is a singer before a musician, The opposite of SRV. Paul.[/b][/quote]One man's meat is another man's poison. I like SRV's soulful vocals...whereas, Geddy's warbling stuff is one of the reasons I never particularly cared for Rush. His voice just bothers me, like nails on a chalkboard. There's another thread somewhere where someone disses Springsteen's voice. Oh, well...I like it. Rough and ballsy...not supposed to be pretty. I'd barf if I heard Enrique Iglesias sing "Promised Land". On the topic of guitar playing overshadowing someone's great voice...I always dug Johnny Winter's balls to the wall voice. I think people get hung up on "Who is a technically proficient vocalist?" type of thing. Celine Dion and Whitney Houston are technically excellent...but, they bore me to tears for the most part. I'd much rather listen to Ray Charles. It pissed me off a couple of years ago, for example, to happen through a "VH1 Divas" thing...and there were people like Celine and Gloria etc. onstage...and Carole King happened to be in the middle. And she started apologizing for being up there in the middle of those "great singers". Tell ya what, I'd rather listen to Carole King sing than Celine any day of the week. I've heard a lot of people diss James Taylor's nasally voice too, but, I happen to like James Taylor's singing. It has a calming effect to me, although I could see how it could bother someone.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I definitely agree with several that have been mentioned... Paul McCartney, James Taylor, Elton John, Jeff Buckley, Bono, Paul Carrack, Brother Ray (Charles - the national Anthem should be America The Beautiful, and only Brother Ray should be allowed to sing it!) Freddy Mercury, Greg Allman, even Elvis Costello... One that hasn't been mentioned who I feel is the best SOUL singer of all time - Gladys Knight. She's never gotten the props that Aretha has, but IMO, she's just as good, if not better. No one mentioned Anne Lennox - also a very soulful singer... And is it just me, or is Eric Clapton just getting better and better with age? I LOVE that guy's voice... another guitarist who's voice has been overshadowed by his playing. Personally, I appreciate technical chops, but music is more about emotion and feel to me than pure technical virtuosity. If you can combine the two, that's even better... but I'd rather have good chops and great feel than have great chops and good feel. Geddy's voice grates on me too Tedster, and JT's is incredibly calming and soothing. SRV and Jimi were NOT great "technical" singers, but both got the point across with great feel. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my wife's voice. One of these days I'll post something with her singing on it. You would not believe that such a big, soulful voice could come from a 5'3" redhead white girl.

Archived