Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5&6 String Basses w/Humbucking Pickups

Tenstrum

I may be smoking crack on this one, but why is it that most 5 and 6 string basses have humbucking pickups?

Tenstrum

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think it would be for a fuller tone. The lowest string needs some extra gain, and the elimination of noise doesn't hurt, either. Also, they sound a lot smoother than single coil pickups.

Of course, there are also "stacked humbucker" pickups, like the ones used for Jazz style basses, that work well with 5 and 6 strings. Some say these pickups sound compressed compared to their single coil cousins, but that may be an asset for some folks who crave single coil tones, with a little extra gain on top. This design also tends to roll off some highs, but not too much.

I can get some clangy tones out of my 5 string, yet still retain the humbucker punch. A lot of the better active basses can do this. Just try a few in different amp/speaker combos.

My BB605 has 2 single coil jazz pickups - complete with hum. I like the tone I get from them.

My Carvin 6 has a single coil jazz in the neck position and a humbucker with 3 position switch in th ebridge. Very nice.

Archived