Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for a five string

jluckie3

ok so i am looking for a five sting bass to add to my arsenal (the d-dropper on my p-bass is no longer cutting it i need that low b) i like a lot of the older warwicks that i have played, and i also think that the roscoe beck V kicks ass. any suggestions? your input is appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an older Warwick Thumb 5 and love it. I had a great '92 stingray5 as well. Alhtough, if you are looking to spend more there could be something else you might like more. Those 2 were and are very good to me.

K

You might also look here : click on "Gear," then scroll down to "5-string shootout." It's a few years old, but should still be relevant.

I just bought my first 5, a Yamaha BB605, a very nice active 5-string for a very low price. Although I've no experience with them, I doubt very much you could go wrong with an older Warwick (davebrownbass, e.g., simply swears by them) or a Beck V (wow, that sound sample on the Fender site is dishy!!). Myself, the fivers in that sort of price range that intrigue me most at present are the Carvin LB75 or BB75 , the Musicman Stingray 5 , and the Yamaha BB2005 .

ive heard that ibanez srx necks are pretty fast, but i dont know first hand

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

I bought a Peavy Cirrus 5-string and I couldn't be happier. I didn't, however, leave the low B on there. I instead put a high C on making it a tenor five string. But as a bass, I am very happy with mine.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

ive heard that ibanez srx necks are pretty fast, but i dont know first hand

I have one. My favorite 5 string neck I've tried fairly thin front to back, The Pups sound good, the electronics are too sensitive (too much boost/cut with slight knob adjustments) good hardware (bridge, tuners, etc)Overall the bass is too light for my tastes (flamed maple veneer over basswood) Here's a pic

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/srx505.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Are we talking about a 5 to be a stay-at-home bass (never leaves the house, its so nice), working bass (smoky, sweaty, grimy clubs most of the time), something nice but not an obvious custom (maybe vintage-y), or something cheap but usable?

Originally posted by wonton:

Are we talking about a 5 to be a stay-at-home bass (never leaves the house, its so nice)...?

What is the point of treating any bass like that? It's an instrument, it's meant to be played and the better it is, the more people should hear it!

Alex

If I could afford any of those boutique basses out there, I would have it transported via armored carrier in double stacked flight cases. Visually, many of the boutiques are simply works of art (and yes they play and sound exquisite also). I understand the music must get out, but do you really want to drag that $7K Fodera (or Smith, or Lawrence, etc) to a sleazy rock dive? Its really a question of how (and where) will the 5 string be used mostly?

If I could afford any of those boutique basses out there, I would have it transported via armored carrier in double stacked flight cases.
Dude, lighten up. You're going from your house to the gig, not to Argentina.

I carry my $3000 Zon in a gig bag. It's never had so much as a ding.

Three models to look at covering all price ranges

1.Spector Q5 professional series- £500 no idea what that is in dollars, fantastic tone,neck for the price

2.Spector ReBop 5DLX

3.Spector USA neck through- Best..bass..ever

You would never guess i'm a Spector fan but anyone of these should serve u fine :thu:

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Yeah, look at Victor Wooten's Fodera, with that big spot in the middle where the finish is worn off. Too bad it's not worth $7000 anymore.

Never would have gotten like that if he left it at home.

And speaking of taking instruments out of the country, check out the story about this guy's $100,000 fiddle .

- Matt W.

Noah Garden said he and other patrons stood atop the bar and tried to play the ($100,000) violin.
Ahhh, *cringe* noooooo, oh my...aaaaaah...

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb for a while...

I just checked out a Washburn Force 5. Neck through,Bubinga,super stiff Multi-lam neck,good fretwork,great hardware,more bass and treble with the preamp than anyone would need,$539!!

If you can spend $1600 or so,Mike Lull M5Vs are popping up used here and there. I own two of his 5 strings and just ordered my first new one (PJ5). These are the best basses I've ever played but I'm more of a classic type guy. Lakland Makes both import and US models that are fantastic as well.

Sorry for the apparent harshness, I didn't want to give some assinine recommendation based upon how I treat instruments and what I like; I was trying to find out more about his style and preference so I could make a more informative and meaningful recommendation.

That aside, I apologize that my budget and circumstances do not allow me the good fortune of finer instruments. But such is life...

My recommendation: get the bass that immediately makes you feel like you've found your soul mate. That's the bass you should really be playing.

Originally posted by DONUT:

I just checked out a Washburn Force 5. Neck through,Bubinga,super stiff Multi-lam neck,good fretwork,great hardware,more bass and treble with the preamp than anyone would need,$539!!

OK, I'll quit slinging stuff and play nice. ;)

I just played the Force 4 last week and was blown away by the sweet low action, overall fit & finish and feel of this axe. It was a bit heavy, but nothing a good strap wouldn't help with. The Force 5 would be a contender if I was looking.

Another one that caught my eye was a new Yamaha RBX375 in black. It looks sharp, and the neck didn't put me off... Yamaha necks have always felt a bit thick, but this one was fine.

- Matt W.

ok well all of my basses are workhorses, i currently have a 75 jazz and a 78 precison, as well as a taylor acoustic bass, all of them have seen plenty of road, club and studio time, (I used to have a newer stingray but alas the landlord cometh and the rent must be paid) i belive that the bass won't be as played as my jazz which is my main, but it will definatly a players piece.

Originally posted by jluckie3:

ok well all of my basses are workhorses, i currently have a 75 jazz and a 78 precison, as well as a taylor acoustic bass, all of them have seen plenty of road, club and studio time, (I used to have a newer stingray but alas the landlord cometh and the rent must be paid) i belive that the bass won't be as played as my jazz which is my main, but it will definatly a players piece.

OK. I'm not trying to say "you gota get this or that". I started on and played a '73 P bass for years before deciding to play 5 string. After trying Fernandes,Warwick,Ibanez,Tune,Musicman,and Warmoth I decided that I needed a Fender style bass. When I tried out my first Lull it felt like home. It is also my main bass. I don't play my 4's much anymore. If 15 or 1600 used is too much for a bas that isn't going to be your main axe ,then I would look at a Lakland skyline,Musicman SUB,or Smith Designs proto for a 5 that retains that sort of Fendery feel. These are some of the best that I've played that don't cost an arm and a leg.Worth a try. Ed Roman (yeah,I know) has a new Fenderish bass out now that I think is around $800 or so for a short time so that might be something to jump on. I think the prices are going to be raised soon.

i think that the most important thing that i'm looking for is a super tight low b string. i hate the basses where the low b just flops around. so i believe that feel is going to be paramount to my choice.

Originally posted by jluckie3:

i think that the most important thing that i'm looking for is a super tight low b string.

I think the StingRay5 B-string is nice and tight -- it is on mine.

You may also want to consider some 35" scale basses -- for example, a Lakland Skyline 5-string.

Happy hunting!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

wonton

Member # 38890

posted 04-15-2004 11:09 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I could afford any of those boutique basses out there, I would have it transported via armored carrier in double stacked flight cases. Visually, many of the boutiques are simply works of art (and yes they play and sound exquisite also). I understand the music must get out, but do you really want to drag that $7K Fodera (or Smith, or Lawrence, etc) to a sleazy rock dive? Its really a question of how (and where) will the 5 string be used mostly?

Man i,ve had 8 grand worth of synths in sleazy rock clubs that leaked water when it rained ,plus a 20 grand pa.there made to be played.Kinda reminds me of children the first one you are all nervous of everything there doing the second one ya let run wild.
Rock-n-roll junkie

I agree with you Steve C. The Yamaha BB605 is a superb bass at a very reasonable price.

I'd like to try either the BB2004 or BB2005.

I wonder how much they cost. I can't find a quote for them here in the UK at all.

I like my Schecter Diamond Elite 5. The string spacing is a bit narrow but it sounds and plays beautifully. It was about $600.

Try it you may like it! :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I'll side with basshappi on this selection. I bought it as a mid priced introduction to the 5'ers. The Diamond Elite 5 has served me well, and I've no regrets.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAfAzEWQTjOU14d1ogreLQNaAofIbnlVTVlF1GCMvEy4fdj82m84CybEq7idTKB7doKspz!hOpYYQWvSKjLrZUfu9OwxPtWY9aZpCWsMlGKpB5WF0vRtQ/AAAA0031.JPG

Not to say that there have been no problems - (moderator) DBB was not impressed with his - so maybe it's a case of finding a good one?

Either way - playing a potential 5 string is the best way to find out what works for you. We have soooo many options available - all we (Lowdowners) can offer is what has worked for us, individually.

YMMV

Good hunting

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Archived