Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender 70s RI Jazz

bc_dup1

I'm still on the lookout for a good Jazz or Jazz lookalike. I'm currently being very tempted by this:

here

I've made enquiries. I need to think of my bad back but I think I will get one of these if they can promise me a light one. Problem is the guy at the store has told me they weigh 12-14 lbs - that HAS to be wrong? Shouldn't I be able to get one of these under 9lbs, or at least under 9.5?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bc:

Thanks Thomas - I don't know how to do that with links. Time I learned I guess. I've tried a Marcus Miller and had no problems with the weight.

Just hit up tinyurl and put your link in the handy box. The page spits out a smaller redirect link. I just started using it the other day for a Ticketmaster link, so it wouldn't destroy my Outlook formatting.

Thanks Thomas - so far so good, but I've always wondered how people name of the link to, say, "here". Be grateful for advice.

Nick you are right about straps (I have a Comfort Strapp) but better the bass isn't too heavy in the first place - my Lakland is about 8.5lbs and my Yamaha is around 9lbs and these are both 5s, I don't see why a 4 should be any heavier!!

Originally posted by bc:

[QB]Thanks Thomas - so far so good, but I've always wondered how people name of the link to, say, "here". Be grateful for advice.

QB]

Advice follows then!

In HTML, say you were building a web page, you use the format

what actually appears as a link

The UBB code used to make links in the forum are a lot like that. You can add them to a message by typing

[url="http://www.somewhere.com"]actual text of the link[/url]

Of course, you can also do what I do when I'm feeling lazy and just hit the URL button in the Instant UBB Code part of the posting page, which will pop up a couple little question windows and then generate the codes for you.

Originally posted by bc:

my Lakland is about 8.5lbs and my Yamaha is around 9lbs and these are both 5s, I don't see why a 4 should be any heavier!!

A 70's re-issue isn't the same, but Fender's from the '70's are notorious for being heavy.

There was a lack of quality control in the CBS era, and as long as it was ash (usually), they didn't care how heavy it was.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I know a lot of 70s Fenders were heavy (I remember playing a Strat that must have been 14 or 15 lbs. The store weren't even trying to sell it, they seemed to keep it as a talking point - "can you believe the weight of this guitar!!"). All the same, I wouldn't have thought that was a feature they'd want to replicate on their reissues. What I have noticed is that the Lakland Skyline Jazzes DO seem to be very heavy - I played one of those in London recently that must have been more than 11lbs.

Archived