Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: NHL playoffs

I know there have got to be a few hockey fans here at the Lowdown. Your thoughts on the playoffs? Your favorite team make it? How are they faring? Discuss.

Me, I'm all about the Vancouver Canucks. I share season tickets with some friends and have been a rabid fan for a very long time. I was at the game in '94 when we won the west from the Leafs in game 5. It was a beauty. In the old arena at the PNE in north Vancouver. I figured our season was done when Bert got suspended for the rest of this year, but the #1 line has really stepped it up and they've been playing with a lot of fire as of the last 2 1/2 weeks. Cloutier's injury last night is a crusher, but Hedberg has a lot of experience behind him that could lead us to a good playoff run. Certainly past the lowly Flames and their younger squad.

The rest of the first round matchups I see panning out like this:

Detroit vs. Nashville: Detroit will win. Vokoun can't stop 41 shots a night every night.

Colorado vs. Dallas: Colorado will take it. Colorado has a ton of talent, even with Paul Kariya out. Aebischer is a great tender, he would have been a starter on most teams all those years he was backing up Roy.

San Jose vs. St. Louis: San Jose. They finished second in the west and it wasn't a fluke. Great team with a lot of gritty play.

Boston vs. The Habs: B's are going to take it. They're playing great hockey right now. It's a shame they weren't this good 4 years ago when they still had Mr. Boston Ray Bourque; it would have ruled if they could have won a Cup when Ray was on the team.

Toronto vs. Ottawa: Toronto all the way. Eddie Belfour is a great seasoned veteran and he's playing like one right now. The combination of him and the coaching abilities of the Mighty Quinn will take them a long ways in the playoffs this year.

New Jersey vs. Philly: I like Jersey because of the Brodeur effect. Martin Brodeur is the best net minder in the league right now and he can support any team you put in front of him. Having guys like Jamie Langenbrunner, Scott Gomez, Brian Rafalski, and Scott Neidermayer in front of him doesn't hurt either.

Tampa Bay vs. New York Islanders: Tampa Bay. They won the east and they deserved it. Nikolai Khabibulin has long been an under rated minder of the pipes and he could single handedly take them a long way. Plus, they have Martin St. Louis, who has proven in the past two years to be an excellent winger with huge scoring potential.

In the end, I'd love to see the Canucks vs. Toronto for Lord Stanley's Cup. But in reality it will probably be the damn Wings and Jersey.

Go Canucks Go.

A little Cup history

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just got the Finnish National League finished, so it's up to the NHL to fill the need for hockey until the World Cup begins.

I haven't really followed the happenings of the NHL that much, mostly I just check the scores and stats every morning, but beyoned that, I'm not too familiar with the twists and turns of the game this season. I don't really root for any team, but I could live with Calgary or Colorado as the Stanley Cup winner. What affects my feelings the most are the individual Finnish players in the teams.

Here's what I feel about the match ups:

Calgary vs. Vancouver: I hope the Flames will go ahead, Kiprusoff has played really well between the pipes, and it's about time he got his career going. Also Ville Nieminen got a new start for his career in Calgary, after spending time in teams without a chance for success. Sure there are Finns in the ranks of the Canucks too, but still I choose the Flames.

Detroit vs. Nashville: I don't think that Nashville can put up much of a fight in the long run, the force is just too strong with the Wings. Some things can be taken for granted ;) . (And if I'm forced to eat my words, it will be a pleasant surprise :D )

Colorado vs. Dallas: Lots of Finns in this one. I'd like to see a championship ring on Selänne's finger as a crown for a great career - even though he's not done so well recently, and I used to be aquainted with Riku Hahl (we went to the same school), but also Dallas has some great players, like Teppo Numminen (same thing like with Selänne - he's been around the block for so long that the ring would be a great thing for him), Scott Young (has been one of my favourites for a long time), Jere Lehtinen - one of the best defending attackers of the league, Niko Kapanen & Antti Miettinen - both came to the NHL from my town's team (HPK). Facing a tough decision, I'll have to give the edge to Colorado.

San Jose vs. St. Louis: San Jose Sharks have been improving their game a lot for the past few seasons, the Blues seem a bit weak, or mild, this season, so I'll have to give it to the Sharks. Doesn't really matter though, none of these teams are included in my favorites.

Boston vs. Montreal: This one is easy, give Koivu the cup ;) . The last 2 games in this series have been quite tight, so my guess is as good as anyones - but still, I'd rather see the Canucks go forward, just because of one man, but wont really object to see Boston do well this year. Sometimes a change in the regular is like a fresh breeze of air...

Toronto vs. Ottawa: I think The Leafs will take this one. Ottawa hasn't managed to score a single goal in the last 2 games

- the pressure is building, and it can't be a good thing for the future. So Toronto will go through.

New Jersey vs. Philadelphia: The series is 2-1 for Philly, but I don't think we've seen the last of NJ. They're so experienced in playoff hockey, so I'm quite positive that they'll - if not even turn the series around - at least make it a really close one. I'd like to see the Flyers go through, but I fear NJ's experience is too much in the end.

Tampa Bay vs. NY Islanders: Tampa has been on a roll all season, I don't see how the Islanders could go through, even if they've won a game in the series. So Tampa proceeds to the next round. The team is just too hot.

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

..Detroit vs. Nashville: Detroit will win. Vokoun can't stop 41 shots a night every night...

Who says he can't? :D

BTW - It's snowing down here today and it's HOCKEY NIGHT IN NASHVILLE! :thu:

GO PREDS!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I love playoff hockey!!!!

as a native southerner, I am just getting aquainted with this sport (not much ice here in atlanta). I watched the olympic hockey in 2002 and have been hooked ever since. The only team i watch in the regular season is my Thrashers, but i will watch any playoff game, no matter who's playing. I love the intensity of the playoffs, the guys really ratchet up the level of play. Fast-paced, action-packed, and violent....what's not to like? Great thing to watch until baseball really gets going. Much better than the NBA.

BTW Bump, why doesn't Seattle have a team? It's a shame you guys have to root for a canadian team.

we have a team here in balmy atlanta, it seems like Seattle is a natural fit for a Franchise.

Well I went to the Blues - Sharks game last night and the Blues looked really good. They dominated the Sharks and the usual "Ricci's ugly" chants were at hand. Poor guy. He is ugly and the fans just love to remind him. I'm going to the game tonight as well. Nothing better then a little playoff hockey. If the Blues can win again tonight they just might make this a series.

So I just read that the Canucks have lost Cloutier for the playoffs and everyone is happy about that? Looks like you guys have confidence in the moose.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Calgary vs. Vancouver: I think the Canucks have enough fire power to get to the next round. Bertuzzi's suspension will really hurt in the long run though.

Detroit vs. Nashville: Red Wings in 5. The Red Wings will probably make the finals but I am hoping that someone takes them out along the way. Someone test Legace!!

Colorado vs. Dallas: Lots of great players to watch in this one. I think the Avs will be too much in the end. Colorado will make it to the western conference finals for sure. The defense is thinner then it has been, but it's still better then most.

San Jose vs. St. Louis: The Sharks are a good scrappy team. They are currently in the driver seat but the Blues have the players to give them fits. Blues in 7!!! (I'm such a homer)

Boston vs. Montreal: I think the Bruins will be too much for the Canadiens. Aquiring Gonchar at the deadline was brilliant.

Toronto vs. Ottawa: I am very surprised by this one. I thought for sure that Ottawa would be better this time of year. Toronto could make the finals the way they are playing.

New Jersey vs. Philadelphia: Despite Bob Clarke's refusal to bring in a true #1 goalie I think the Flyers might get past the Devils this year. So much talent on that team and Hitchcock can coach. It's going to 7 games though.

Tampa Bay vs. NY Islanders: Tampa's young guns will get it done. Andreychuck's been around the block a few times and he can provide what they need in the locker room.

That was fun!!

I'm Detroit born'n'raised, so you might guess where my loyalties are.

I'd gladly trade a day at the beach here, for a night at the "Joe". Oh yeah! - Home Ice Advantage...

The {"damn"} Wings' success just about makes up for the last few decades of Detroit's

"Lions and Tigers? NOWHERE! Oh my!"

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by JBFLA:

I'm Detroit born'n'raised, so you might guess where my loyalties are.

I'd gladly trade a day at the beach here, for a night at the "Joe". Oh yeah! - Home Ice Advantage...

The {"damn"} Wings' success just about makes up for the last few decades of Detroit's

"Lions and Tigers? NOWHERE! Oh my!"

Jim

Things are starting to look up for the tigers

and lions,great things are gonna happen in MI

sports this year and next year

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Finally a decent sports thread :) ... I'm a big Toronto fan so obviously I feel that they will go all the way. They have everything that a championship team should have. Speed, skill, toughness, great goaltending. However, Toronto likes to "dilly-dally" sometimes and that will get them in trouble if they continue taking periods off.

my brother just bought tickets for game six of the wings preds series. it's weird, because i don't want detroit to lose, but at the same time, i'd love to drive up to nashville to see my first NHL game, after years of watching michigan state beating michigan at the joe. go wings!

teams i'd like to win:

calgary

dallas

detroit

san jose

ottawa

philadelphia

tampa bay

montreal

teams i think will win:

vancouver

colorado

toronto

boston

i think it will be detroit rolling tampa in 5 for the cup. nashville is their stiffest competition, after all. they're the only team who came close to playing detroit even all year. vokoun has gotten up for the playoffs, as has the rest of the team, which is to their credit. many thought they'd be happy just being in the playoffs. and as much as i want detroit to win, it makes me happy to see michigan state grad and kalamazoo native adam hall getting two points in game three.

on the east, i think boston will test anyone the play and are probably the best team apart from tampa bay. the lightning will win their opening series against the isles in five or six games, and then they'll understand playoff hockey well enough that they'll be able to win out to the cup finals.

i wouldn't put it past toronto to put together a run. that would make me pretty happy, too. i may have to break out my maple leafs garden jersey that i bought at maple leafs garden the summer after its last season.

cross your fingers for another game in nashville!

robb.

Detroit vs. Nashville: Detroit will win. Vokoun can't stop 41 shots a night every night.

Uhhh... what I meant was he can't make 41 stops more than two nights in a row... yeah, that it.

That's 82 shots faced in two games and only one goal allowed. That's ridiculous.

Uhhh... what I meant was he can't make 41 stops more than two nights in a row... yeah, that it.

That's 82 shots faced in two games and only one goal allowed. That's ridiculous.

Thank you!

Originally posted by ibescotty:

Detroit vs. Nashville: Red Wings in 5. The Red Wings will probably make the finals but I am hoping that someone takes them out along the way. Someone test Legace!!

I'd love to feed you this crow after the Preds rid the Stanley Cup of the Red Wings, but being realistic, I'll just ask you to eat crow for the Wings in 5 comment. (An impossibility now that the series is 2-2 and the Preds shut out the mighty Wings.)

For a team that barely made the playoffs (for the first time in their 6 year history), the Preds have battled pretty well with the #1 seed, so far. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Mr. Vokoun is pretty impressive these days, isn't he?

Speaking of ridiculous...

How about the game ending play from the Bruins/Habs contest last night? Do you think Kovalev feels like a bonehead this morning? :P

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Hi Mudcat

Bonehead, doesn't even scratch the surface. OK, you got slashed, now clear the puck and skate to the bench, instead of trying to draw a penalty in overtime. The game tying goal wasn't much better, Montreal should have tied the series, instead their down 3 to 1.

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Thank you!

Originally posted by ibescotty:

I'd love to feed you this crow after the Preds rid the Stanley Cup of the Red Wings, but being realistic, I'll just ask you to eat crow for the Wings in 5 comment. (An impossibility now that the series is 2-2 and the Preds shut out the mighty Wings.)

For a team that barely made the playoffs (for the first time in their 6 year history), the Preds have battled pretty well with the #1 seed, so far. :thu:

I will gladly eat this crow and I am looking forward to some more crow pie if the preds take the wings out in the first round. Nothing would make this Blues fan happier!!

Since I'm a Swede the only team for me is the Canucks. There are Swedes everywhere in that team!

From time to time I check how Forsberg's doing too. :P

There's loads of great players in Vancouver, I think they will win over Calgary in the end. Though it's pretty even right now. 2-2. And with Näslund scoring most poinst of all. Maybe Stanley Cup this year!

Love this team, Love this game

it was probably a creeping premonition of the wings crushing 4-1 home victory. it will be that much sweeter to me to be there in nashville for game 6 when detroit closes out the series.

it's good to see steve yzerman with a point in the game tonight.

also, i'm looking forward to san jose closing out the blues tonight. and it's a good thing the habs won in boston. now they can go home and tie the series, forcing game seven, which the bruins will win, regretably. (i pull for canadian teams whenever possible.)

robb.

Damn Canucks. :mad:

Auld played well tonight. That first goal against was a very basic goaltending mistake that burned him; he over played the rebound and was about a foot outside of where he should have been squared up to face the shot. The second goal no one would have stopped. That was an excellent tip by Iginla. Hopefully we can win and force a game seven on this coming Monday night in Vancouver. I have tickets and I'll be there if it happens.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

But before you go counting your chickens, Robb, keep in mind that neither team has lost a home game so far....

i'm not counting my chickens...oh, wait, yes i am. :)

i have a lot of respect for how nashville has played in this series, particularly the stingy goalkeeping of vokoun. i have seen many 8 seeds show up just happy to say they made the playoffs and then disappear. but after last years nightmare -- and tuesday's disappointment -- detroit has learned how to close out a series when they have the chance.

did anyone see how buccigross cut his hair from the indie shag back to respectable banker? he made fun of melrose last night -- "seriously, barry, your hair now intimidates me. i'm not joking, it intimidates me."

i love bucci.

robb.

I am a long time HABS fan, I grew up watching them win Stanley Cups after Stanley Cups. I even remember seeing Jean Béliveau play (this is how old I am).

After game 4 I thought we were out. But now, I think we have a definite chance to beat the Bruins. 2 reasons for that: the first one is that ,except for game 1, we have constantly outplayed the Bruins. They won solely because of their goalie, while ours was not doing his usual magic tricks. But now he is back... also, since the beginning of the series, the Canadiens are faster than the Bruins, and speed is a big factor in this game, especially in the playoffs.

Second reason is that the shortcomings of the Bruins leaders are showing. Thornton looks more and more like a younger Lindros. You don't win Stanley Cups with players like theses.

So if we win tomorrow, I think the series is in the pocket.

Go Habs Go.

Well the Blues are out. 25 straight years in the playoffs. At least they have that streak still alive. The Sharks are young and look very good. They will be around as a team for a while too.

It looks like Montreal is making things interesting. Always fun. By brother lives in Boston and has been giving me shit. Go Canadians!!

Detroit started Cujo last night? If he plays like he can there's not as much of a weakness in net to exploit. Young Pavel Datsyuk is the real deal.

Brett Hull tied Gretzky's playoff game winning goal record with 24 in his career. The guy can score for sure. Vokoun still made 27 saves last night. Certainly he's been one of the key players for Nashville. Go Preds!!

Philadelphia is poised to bounce the Devils in the first round. I know a lot of Flyer fans that are beside themselves with glee. I think Esche has been a pleasant surprise for the Flyers. The Flyers have lots of depth at the forward positions. Plenty of guys who can step up and get the job done.

Tampa is going to roll on most likely. Anyone see that short-handed goal by Martin St. Louis? Amazing.

Calgary is leading the Canucks in the series? Say it isnt so!! I think the Cloutier injury has hurt the Canucks more then people think. Moose will get it together for a run at this thing though. I think the Canucks will come back and take it to seven games.

Colorado vs Dallas Foresberg + Sakic + Selanne + Tanguay + Hedjuk + Blake + Foote = Colorado moving to the 2nd round.

Ottawa has come back against Toronto and made this into one of the best series in the playoffs. Belfour has finally been solved and the floodgates are open right now. The Senators have out shot the Leafs in every game. Crazy Eddie cant do it all. He needs some help. Sundin was hurt in the last game. He needs to play to keep the Leafs in it.

Direct TV NHL RuLEZ!! :freak:

Archived