Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TOP 5 BASSES of All Time

dollarbillbass

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted: list what your heroes play.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I think that the the construction of your post/qustion/poll is confusing. Therefore, I will respond to the title of your thread.

Kay Upright - played by a vast number of early jazz/country/rock-n-roll players

Fender Precision

Fender Jazz

Rickenbacker 4001

Tie; Gibson EB/Thunderbird

Much of what has come after has been an attempt to improve(?) upon these models.IMO

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

For some reason, this topic made me dig up:

this little wonder

A gem! A jewel! A veritble blast from the past! One of the myriad reasons I stay with this forum.

I read it again, and I found it as refreshing and amusing as the first time. Bump, good luck avioding those "subjective" threads.

As for me, I'm not familiar with the Ric, but heard a lot of things about it. I would have to go with Basshappi's list, only lose the Ric, bump the bird to third, and put the Warwick Thumb on fifth.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by basshappi:

I think that the the construction of your post/qustion/poll is confusing. Therefore, I will respond to the title of your thread.

Kay Upright - played by a vast number of early jazz/country/rock-n-roll players

Fender Precision

Fender Jazz

Rickenbacker 4001

Tie; Gibson EB/Thunderbird

Much of what has come after has been an attempt to improve(?) upon these models.IMO

Basshappi was answered this beautifully.

Although there would be some good reasons for including the Alembic Series I in the list...because it was the precursor of today's "designer basses". I believe it was the first active bass on the market and the first one to include rare and beautiful woods in its construction.

Jeremy,

I did seriously consider including the Alembic in the list for all the reasons that you mention. I decided against it at the last minute due to the fact that so few could afford them when they first appeared that they were never very common instruments. However, Alembic was certainly the precursor to all these boutique basses that seem so common to us now. I think the sheer number of custom bass makers today (as compared to before Alembic)proves your point.

I remember when I was a kid fantasizing about being a rock star :rolleyes: , that fantasy always had me playing an Alembic, cause only rock satrs could afford them! :D:D

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Basshappi,

Sorry to break it to you, but your list is wrong.

Top 5 Basses:

1. 1961 Black Fender P, rosewood board, white pickguard

2. 1962 Black Fender P, rosewood board, white pickguard

3. 1963 Black Fender P, rosewood board, white pickguard

4. 1964 Black Fender P, rosewood board, white pickguard

5. 1965 Black Fender P, rosewood board, white pickguard

Also, everyone knows the top 5 heros of all time is a trick question. The best is Fieldy. He doesn't play any of the greatest basses listed because that would actually cause the universe to implode.

Originally posted by basshappi:

I remember when I was a kid fantasizing about being a rock star :rolleyes: , that fantasy always had me playing an Alembic, cause only rock satrs could afford them! :D:D

Cheers

Rock Stars play P' Basses! ;)

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Most significant electric bass guitars IMO have to be:

1. 1957 Fender Precision (i.e. the first one with the split pickup)

2. 1962 Fender Jazz (i.e. the first non-stacked knobs one)

3. Rickenbacker 4001

4. Musicman Stingray

5. Alembic Series 1

1, 2 & 4 represent the three significant pickup configurations and the original bolt-on designs, 3 represents the neck-through lot, 4 was the first mass produced active bass, and 5 is the forerunner of the modern active electronic'd and exotic wood boutique customs. And between the five of them they cover just about every electric bass guitar tone ever recorded.

I guess my Warwick is some kind of mongrel of all of the above - P & J pickups (1 & 2), through-neck (3 & 5), hot active preamp with conventional EQ (4), exotic woods and active pickups (5). Maybe its inhabiting such a middle ground is why I can never decide what other basses I need.

And from the other angle:

Jamerson's "Funk Machine" (P with old flats)

Jaco's "Bass of Doom" (fretless J with rounds)

Jack Casady's Alembic #1

Anthony Jackson's Contrabass (Carl Thompson 6)

Chris Squire's Rickenbacker

Alex

DISCLAIMER: I am a guitarist who only plays bass part-time, but here is my list of personal favorites for your perusal:

1. Musicman Stingray

2. Rickenbacker 4001

3. Fender Jazz (stacked knob)

4. Danelectro Longhorn (because it's cool & twangy)

5. Fender Precision

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I think the Steinberger XL should be included in the line up. It represented a new way of thinking about design and the use of synthetic materials that has left it's mark on the industry. It's design broke down just about every prejudice that came before it.

Just read the old thread above. As someone who has put up alot of these stupid comparison thraeds and been flamed many times for not using the search facility i thought it was a little close to the bone ;) but funny as hell none the less. It should be brought up every 4-6 months or so to educate new members as to how bump thinks about this stuff.

As to this thread, i don't own all these but have played them

1.My professonal series spector 5

2.Doug Wimbish Sig Ibanez 4 -best 4 ever

3.Musicman Stingray

4.Euro series Spector 4

5.My old G&L 5 string- Which i sold

My dream bass would have to be the hybrid Fodera Emperor 6-string that can be seen in this months bass player being played by Mike Pope

Much Love

Dave :thu:

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Where do you guys get a chance to play all these basses? I don't think I've ever seen or heard any of them.

I only know the usual suspects like Yamaha's, Ibanez, Warwick, a few Fenders, Tobias....all courtesy of perusing around the music shop (pretending I'm gonna buy....as if :mad

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

Where do you guys get a chance to play all these basses? I don't think I've ever seen or heard any of them.

I only know the usual suspects like Yamaha's, Ibanez, Warwick, a few Fenders, Tobias....all courtesy of perusing around the music shop (pretending I'm gonna buy....as if :mad

I live ~20 minutes away from Bass Northwest .

They have a few basses there.

Bumpcity, are you a 'window shopper' like me, or do you own those basses on your Top 5 list?

I'm the best 'bass window shopper' in the world!! :cool:

I didn't post a list. I own 6 basses currently, and 4 of them appear to be popping up fairly common in other people's various responses. 2 jazz basses, a p-bass, and a musicman.

I've played all of them and more.

Since I've been playing bass for 38 years, I've had some time to go to stores all over the place.

I've also been to the NAMM show quite a few times (the big trade show in Anaheim where the instrument makers show their guitars to the music store guys.

It's all good.

Where do you guys get a chance to play all these basses?

Where in England do you live? If you're ever in the vicinity of Camden in North London, go to The Bass Gallery, it has a fantastic stock of high end basses and amps. Very enlightening.

Alex

Great, another subjective and totally irrelevant "who/which/what is best" thread, the type of which I am guilty of both flaming and participating in :D ...wait, I'm doing both right now.

Since it's a cold, windy day and I have nothing better to do right now...

I chose to limit my list to solid-body electrics as I couldn't pare my list down to five otherwise. In order of introduction...

1) 1951 Fender Precision

The first electric bass produced in significant numbers for the masses, it pretty much started it all.

2) 1957 Fender Precision

The re-thinking of the original that survives relatively unchanged to this day. Arguably the most played, most recorded and most copied bass guitar design of all time, although some would give that title to...

3) 1960 Fender Jazz

Yeah, I know, another Fender. Seems to be the Fender design of choice these days stock, cloned or custom built.

4) 1961 Rickenbacker 4001

The pioneer in neck-through design for the masses.

5) 1972 Alembic Series 1

Not only the precursor to today's "boutique" instruments, but they also pioneered low impedance pickup designs and active on-board pre-amps.

As to answering your query about tone, looks, comfort and playability, I'm partial to my '61 P in the tone, comfort and playability departments. That's just me. I have yet to find a bass that fits me better. As far as looks go, it's just not that big of an issue in my book.

Later..................

by preference

1. 1975 fender jazz

2. 1978 fender precision

3. 1975 rickenbacker 4001

4. 1978 musicman stingray

5. 1969 gibson eb3

by hero

1. status buzzard (john entwistle)

2. late 70's p bass (dee dee ramone)

3. Hofner "beatle" bass (Paul McCartney)

4. seventies p-bass (Rocco Prestia)

5. fretless 60's jazz (Jaco)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmmm.....

The 64 ft. Organ Pedal.

The Trombone.

The Bassoon.

The Cello.

The Tuba.

The Upright Bass.

The Electric Bass Guitar.

The Ashbory.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived