Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Minidisc Errors

Hey folks. I'm no tech-head (by anyone's standards.) My band has been recording on a Yamaha MD-8. It's a minidisc recorder. We've had basically no complaints thus far, except one, and it's a biggie. The minidiscs occaisionally develop "errors," which (from what I can tell) manifest themselves as little gaps in the recording. One minute the disc is fine, the next our perfect track has a little empty spot in it. We take VERY good care of our discs - they live in a cool closet and are never knocked around or given a chance to get dirty. Same with the recorder -- it's all kept very clean and safe. Like I said, one minute everything is fine, the next, we're screwed. This random occurance has ruined two tracks so far. Oddly, another track looked like it was messed up, but after we turned off the machine and rebooted, the disc was fine. Can anyone explain why this happens? I'm sure it has something to do with the mystical powers of digital media, but it really sucks.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Cotton Mouth: The first thing that comes to mind to me is a bad disc. Mini Disc are just like CDs, there is a wide range in quality between makers. It doesn't do any good to store the disc correctly if they are screwed up to begin with. Make sure you have good quality discs. I don't know the MD recorder you're using but some of the consumer MD recorders have a feature that might insert a pause or create a new track if it senses silence for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Make sure this feature is not enabled. Only things I could think of. I use a Sharp MD-MT-15 which is a portable 2 track unit.

Wewus, We thought of that, but that can't be the problem. The disc was already recorded -- there was already information on it that sounded fine. All of a sudden the disc went kooky. The only thing I can compare it to is when a reel-to-reel tape develops a little fold, which causes a little space in the music. The recorder is a Yamaha MD-8 -- an 8-track minidisc recorder.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well the disc COULD go bad after it was recorded. You could take that disc into a music store that sells MD multi-tracks and see if it will play correctly on that machine. When you're working on PC the first thing you do is to back up your work to avoid problems like this.

I think MiniDisc is a very useable format. You do need some way to back up/save your tracks though. If you had a system like the Aardvark Q10 you could just take the outputs of each track and record to hard disc. Anybody out there dealt with this problem? How DO you back up MD tracks?

We've been recording to minidisc, pre-mixing the basic tracks (guitars, bass, drums and lead vox) to CD and then dumping the pre-mixes back onto minidisc to add more layers. This way we always have the original data. It works fine most of the time, but every once in a while there are problems. Then the only solution is to re-record on another disc. It really sucks.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I've had that problem with my MD as well. It mostly happens to discs that had previous music on it. I haven't had that occur with ones right out of the plastic. I was going to go the MD 8 track route but the media was a bit higher than I expected. If data MDs were a bit more affordable, I imagine more folks would jump onboard with minidisc. I'm buying a digital unit at the end of summer (summer gig money). Probably the Yamaha 16 track. You just can't beat the price of CDs. I do submixes to two tracks with my unit and record on the remaining six, poor mans 16 track I like to call it. But more often than not, I cram what I can in eight. It does make you think more about the overall scheme.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

We also use the MD8 with our band and have run into the disc error message a couple times. If the track has a glitch in it you could use the copy function and make a duplicate of the song on the disc and see if writing the copy to another part of the MD helps. You need at least enough free disc space equal to your song length available to to copy the song. We really like our MD8 with the expection of the disc error quirk. :)
Deeetroit Basketballll!!!

Hey... Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should clarify a little: The discs were brand-new, "out of the plastic," unrecorded Yamaha data discs. These are the type specified as the correct discs to use for the Yamaha MD-8 in the manual. They were FINE -- we recorded on all 8 tracks and had remixed the songs at least four times on different occasions with no problems. This time, a little glitch showed up in one song out of nowhere. Lofiguy... We really like out MD-8, too, but the disc errors and glitches are a real pain. Good thing we already had a mix we liked. I guess it's sort of a non-issue because we're ok with the stuff we have recorded.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Are you getting an error code #? If you are getting the fatal error message it means your unit and the transport is getting hot. It's been a while since I had mine, but I used to get the fatal error message after using it during long vocal overdub sessions etc. What was happening in my unit was the unit got so hot going back and forth bet mark points and punch-ins that it basically wanted to quit. What I would do is between each function of play and stop or rec/play and stop, I would just hit pause instead of stop. So for example if I was recording and wanted to stop the track and go back, I wouldnt hit stop, I would hit pause, and then the mark point, and pause again. Then I would hit play/rec to start it, and back to pause. The less you hit STOP between function's the less the unit's load/transport had to work. Rarely did I hit stop, and rarely did I get error's after that... I even told the cat I sold it to about that issue, and it didnt affect my sale price.
TROLL . . . ish.

Archived