Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Nordstrand Owners/Players Here?

Jim T.

I'd like your detailed impressions of pickups and output, electronically.

How do you feel the pick ups stack up to other brands?

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope to become a Nordstrand owner...but more on that another time. :thu:

I played a Nordstrand NJ4 Deluxe recently at Blueberry Hill Bass and it was a fantastic instrument. It had Carey's humcancelling J p'ups in it. I thought they sounded great -- but I didn't have anything to compare them to (i.e., no "control" instrument/counterfactual), so obviously what I heard was a combination of the bass, preamp, p'ups, etc.

Jay Lewis, who runs Blueberry Hill Bass, says he can't keep the Nordstrand p'ups in stock, and that the buyers have been saying great things about them.

You should PM bassaddik (Adrian Garcia). He's a dealer and has played and sold a few Nordstrands. He ought to be able to help you out. You can also e-mail Jay Lewis a Blueberry Hill as well for more info.

Now, they're both Nordstrand dealers, but I would expect them both to be objective in their comments about Nordstrand p'ups.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

can't go wrong with a Nordstrand- i have played a few and in two days, i pick up mine....i can tell you much more about its tone after arrival-- but my testimony is this:

i have owned MANY hi end basses- i invested more $ in my Nordstrand than any bass ever.. i trust him that much..

here's my baby- co-designed by Carey and myself, built entirely by Carey..

http://accessbass.com/black4.jpg

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Sweet Willie and Adrian,

Thanks.

Adrian, I've been following your posts showing pics of your bass on talkbass. I PMed you once but perhaps it got "eaten" by spam filters or something...this was about a month ago...

Anyhoo, I'd live to hear more about how they sound once you've gigged a bit with it and played it through a variety of amps! You must be "chompin' at the bit" with your bass so close to arrival!

Would you be able to compare their sound to any other brands for tonal reference?

I would like to hear from more owners in addition than dealers if there are any here.

Adrian, what exactly did you like about Carey's basses vs. Fodera(s)? I own a Matt Garrison 6 so they're my A-B comparison/control bass.

If I've been such a neck through fan for so long, do you think I'll like the set neck sound?

Carey's going to build me a short scale/30" six. I've been experimenting with a "prototype" science experiment frankenbass...

I'm actually buying a Nordstrand without ever playing one! I live near Seattle and haven't found any owners up here yet. Judging by the many excellent pics I've seen, I think the neck profile, etc. will be cool. Plus, I'm grateful to Carey for taking on a short scale six!

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

Jim T -

it is actually an advantage that I am a bass dealer because i get to compare it to a Ken Lawrence, F Bass , Roscoe, etc.. when it arrives.

As far as playability and attention to detail, I have not seen better than Carey. The basses tend to be light, ergonomic and plays incredible, makes it REALLY easy to play your best.

I like the F bass tone, so I went with an F bass pre and Careys Fatstacks- it will still sound very different because of the pickups and woods AND setneck -

i recently sold a 33 in scale singlecut and it was spankin!

i am supposed to drive to Careys tuesday and pick my baby up- i will be happy to give you a review once I am acquainted with it--

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Thanks Adrian.

I'll look forward to your report.

I'll be using heavy woods on my 30" short scale six, so I don't know how light Carey'll be able to make it : N. Ash body with a Maccassar ebony top and back and runners/stringers. I like 'em heavy and these are the woods used on my killer Fodera so I want to duplicate that acoustic tone as much as possible.

I am a bit concerned about how much I'll like a set neck sound, but if it'll sustain as long as a neck through PLUS give me a bit more punch I'll be happy.

Mine won't be started until Sept.

Carey was going to call Larry Robinson-inlay artist to see about shipping my fingerboard back and forth, etc. I don't know if they've had a chance to talk with each other yet. (Keltic Knot "Block" Inlays.)

Can you tell me if Carey's sixes would have a neck profile/feel similar to Foderas-especially the Matt Garrison? Or a Pedulla MVP/Hexabuzz? I own those and like their necks fine...

I'm planning on using Duncan custom double coils very similar to my Garrison's and a Mike Pope pre as I love that rounded tone and smooth bass...but I'd like to/hope to A/B them with Carey's before deciding. I've heard such a mixture of Nordstrand pup reviews from "thin and wirey" to Great and Killer!

You aren't planning on coming to the Seattle area anytime soon to pack your Nordie with you are ya? ;)

Your F bass Pre isn't going to be carried by Carey with Mr. F's permission by chance?

Thanks again. Any more you can tell me concerning the above is as always, greatly appreciated! Happy Easter!

Please say Hi to Carey for me, would you?

Jim T.

Edgar Watson Howe

i have owned a couple of Foderas- a Monarch and an Emperor- and i have to be nhst and say Careys neck feels better- but that's just to MY hands- I know Carey spec'ed out a Sadowsky neck for a guy who owns a Sad and wanted a similar neck- I am sure he could do the dimensions on you Fodera and match them-

not sure if there will be an F bass pre offered, but i know Carey has another on after mine...

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Thank you Adrian.

I'm at a loss as how to transfer the dimensions of my 34" scale six to a 30" six.

I'll be discussing that with Carey or most likely, going down to his shop (a 1500 mile trip and I don't fly!) at the neck carving stage of the game and feel it.

I probably will only be able to afford to go down there once so it's either at that time or pick up installation time.

Anyway, the truth'll be in the hands at that point! ;) (neck carving time...)

Thanks for your comparisons to the Foderas. Sounds good to me!

Give your new bass a kiss for me when you see Carey :D

Jim T.

Edgar Watson Howe

Hey Jim,

Just came across your post...sorry for being a bit tardy. :) I just speced out my next SC5 with Carey this week and we're both extremely excited about the new project. The last NJ Deluxe I had in, I speced the entire bass out myself...what I'd want if I were ordering one for myself (which I WILL do eventually). :D I've turned Carey loose a bit on this one and all I can say is that it's gonna' be a mutha'!

As for the basses themselves, I've just been blown away so far. I really enjoy working with Carey and always look forward to doing projects with him. As has already been mentioned, the instruments themselves are flawlessly crafted. Carey in a true perfectionist and focuses his attention where the most attention should be focused....tonewoods, frets, nut, finish, neck, action, playability, etc. While all of his basses look amazing, it really doesn't matter what the thing looks like if the instrument doesn't play well, doesn't sound good, or isn't inspiring. Further, when you consider what you're getting in return for your dollar, I think that they're still an excellent value. One could certainly spend a LOT more for an inferior instrument that doesn't even come CLOSE to the performance and perfection of a Nordstrand.

As for the Nordstrand pickups, I think I'm about the only guy out there who really has done any advertising for them (see my site). I've received a lot of extremely positive comments so far...it's just a matter of people learning that they're available and taking a leap of faith that they KICK...which they do. Also, 5-string jazz replacements should be available in a couple of weeks and a MM style pickup is also on the way....should be very exciting. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail if you ever have any questions. Sweet Willie ordered his Nordstrand through me and his bass will be coming up in the next batch after the basses that Carey is currently working on. I'm sure he'll be posting photos as they become available! :D

hey, JPJ. it's good to see you over here at the low down lowdown.

from what i've heard in soundclips at carey's website, the nordstrand pickups are truly something special. if only i could get a smaller body with a "p meets warwick" type of shape, i'd be ready to talk. i'm not so keen on the offset waist anymore.

robb.

Thanks JPJ. Know of any owners in the Seattle/Portland Or. area? I'd like to hear them in person.

Edgar Watson Howe

Archived