Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weather Report - live video footage?

I have heard/read before that there are some concert videos of Weather Report; but I can't seem to find them in any of my normal cd/DVD/video buying locations. Audiophile Imports was the first place I checked, since they usually have all the hard to find stuff. No joy.

I have a ~20 minute .mpeg clip of them playing "Black Market" and "Scarlett Woman" on September 29, 1978. It friggin owns. I'd love to have this entire concert.

Anyone have anything? Know where to get any?

Bueller?

Note: I'm only interested in VIDEO footage, I have a ton of their live audio.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump, if I may ask- where did you get that vid you have? Sounds rad.

I have a friend who may have an idea or two. I'll ask him for ya.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

Bump, if I may ask- where did you get that vid you have? Sounds rad.

I have a friend who may have an idea or two. I'll ask him for ya.

Peace,

wraub

I got the Mpeg clip that I have through one of those online file sharing thingies. I can't remember which one for sure, I think it was WinMX. Those file sharing things are great for finding bootlegs and whatnot.

It's a little over 80MB in size. If it wasn't so huge, I'd put it on my website so people could download it. Unfortunately, 80MB is almost half of my disk space limit.

A few years back I was in the habit of borrowing materials via inter-library loan from libraries all over the world. I borrowed various VSH, DVD, CD, and LP's of live recordings of jazz greats. I just checked worldcat to see who had what of weather report. There were 8 hits for video materials and none matched what you were inquiring about. It turns out that wether report provided a soundtrack for a documentary or something called "The Evolutionary Spiral." I went ahead and borrowed in from a library far away, out of curiosity. Of the other seven its seems Weather Report footage was added to a few jazz video compilations but the copyright dates are in the 83-86 range. One of these MIGHT have the footage you are looking for but the descriptions suggested otherwise.

Now not all libraries are in worldcat, but all university and college libraries are. I have borrowed hundreds of rare media materials on ILL, if these Weather Report videos do exist, then it will be the first time I didn't find something via worldcat. Universities are really good about collecting these things especially if they have a jazz program.

I will do a more complete searches in the next few days under the various members of Weather Report. I am sure I have borrowed every video available that has Jaco in it including the "Shadows and Light" Joni Mitchell concert with Jaco and Pat Metheny. It appeared in the Jaco search I just completed and it was taped in September 1979.

Let us know if you find anything, I am quite curious myself.

Good Luck.

K.

"What's it going to be then, eh?"

Archived