Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Prince last night

Scoot

Some friends and I drove down to OK City last night to see Prince in concert, had a great time.

He had Rhonda Smith w/ him, playing what appeared to be a 70's Fender J. She's gooood. Unfortunately Prince didn't play any bass, but he did play a lot of guitar. It's unbelievable how talented this cat is. Amazing performer, amazing band. Besides playing most of his big hits, a few early highlights were a cover of "Soul Man", an electric blues that was a definite nod to Jimi's "Red House", and a funk jam that was built around James Brown's "Hot Pants" bass line.

But after a break came the best part of the show - a solo set w/ only an acoustic guitar. After about 10 songs, he took another break before closing the show w/ "Purple Rain."

The only subpar thing about the show was the sound. The PA never did sound dialed in. And it was so cranked by "Purple Rain" that the lows sounded terribly distorted. But all in all it was a great show.

Ah, nice marmot.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That must have been a truly great show. I never cared much for Prince's pop music, but I have to respect him as an amazing musician and artist.

BTW, did he have his moustache? I think someone else borrowed it recently...

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/06/dylan.lingerie.ap/story.dylan.ap.jpg

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

That must have been a truly great show. I never cared much for Prince's pop music, but I have to respect him as an amazing musician and artist.

BTW, did he have his moustache? I think someone else borrowed it recently...

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/06/dylan.lingerie.ap/story.dylan.ap.jpg

:thu: Nice sighting!! That's great...

So I should go see Prince should he grace Denver with his presence? I'm not much of a pop fan, but I'll make an exception for Prince!

I caught Prince last week in Bakersfield, the second or third show of the tour. And yes, it was simply a magnificent performance. A lot has been said of his eccentricities and such, but the man was in such control of both the audience and the band (which was a killer band!)and quite obviously possesses some extreme musical talents and gifts(a s a gtr player he put a lot of shredders to shame that night, and his singing was dead on). The music was tight, yet loose.....rehearsed (and he was very much in control of the arrngements) yet spontaneous....and nary a sample nor sequence to heard all night (eben those so obvious sampled guitar bits in "Kiss" and such were played live)...Prince has been talking about this tour being a return to "real music" (that is "played music" as opposed to sequenced/lipsynced stuff.) and he certainly delivered.

Yes, the cat is incredibly talented and a remarkable performer.....yet Ms. Smith also put on quite a show of creative and expressive bass playing while all the while serving the song and being "supportive". She was, in short awesome.

BTW...the sound in Bakersfield was quite good.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Great! Aren't you guys lucky? I really don't think I'll ever watch Prince perform Live in my lifetime, bar a miracle.

For those of you who think Prince is human, wrong!! That guy is superhuman, supremely talented, just like Stevie Wonder.

Oh well, I'll look for his live DVD and settle for that.

If I were to go to a Prince concert, I'd get arrested as a pretender.

Too bad. Max's review was right on, if the Jay Leno and Rock Hall of Fame performances were any indication. I'd LOVE to go to hear this phenomenon...music played by fingers again? WoW! Not a sequencer in sight.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

Oh well, I'll look for his live DVD and settle for that.

If you're talking about the "Live in Las Vegas" DVD, you'll probably be pretty disappointed like I was/am. You can tell there's some great stuff happening, but the DVD doesn't capture it well at all. The sound is horrible. The camera editing is bad. It's all around just a really cheezy production. I have 30+ concert DVD's, and this one's down at the bottom.

I'll be at Prince's show in Seattle. I'm a big fan 'o the funk. I'm hoping to find it there.

All your bass are belong to us!

Originally posted by Scoot:

He had Rhonda Smith w/ him, playing what appeared to be a 70's Fender J. She's gooood.

...But all in all it was a great show.

I've read about Rhonda in a few reviews and am glad to see the bad boy hasn't replaced her yet. Hopefully there's a NYC date still on the tour, if I haven't missed it already. I've always wanted to include "Purple Rain" in a band set, maybe soon... Thanks for the heads up!

:wave:

Prince puts on a slammin' live show. I've only seen him once, but it was for the Love Sexy tour back in the late '80s. I saw him play at Wembley Arena in England. (Do I have that right? The indoor venue, not the outdoor one.)

The show was outrageous and he and his bandmates were on fire.

He is worth seeing. You get so much more than a rehash of album material.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Wembley Arena- thats the indoor one- i played there with KC and the Sunshine Band- Wembley Stadium- THATS the big daddy--

Prince just slams period- the guy is so gifted- and Rhonda Smith, I would seriously just marry her...

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I believe the drummer on this tour is one of my "homies": John Blackwell of Columbia, SC and a graduate of Wild Willie Lyles Marching 100 of Keenan HS. Of course he's in his 20's and I'm 'er old, but I have played with him on several occasions and he is a greater player and a very nice young man.

Rhonda Smith is the sister of my arranging teacher, Christopher Smith. He was talking about Victor Wooten and how when he heard him for the first time he wasn't totally astonished because his sister used to do that all the time too. :eek:

That family is incredibly musical.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Archived