Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Patchbay Reacts Oddly to Patch Data

I have a Roland A-880 8-in-8-out Midi Patchbay, and am using Cakewalk 9 on a PC as a sequencer. It seems that the 880 reacts to the sending of patch information from Cakewalk as it starts to play at the beginning of the piece. This reaction ranges from "lock up" to changing the connections (input and output assignments). The problem goes away if I force the patch selection to "none". This problem has begun since I moved my gear around, I now have some different wiring than before, but the setup is "working" in the sense that data from the sequencer is being played by the sound generators, and the sequencer is receiving keystrokes and recording them ok. The problem occurs even when using Cakewalk files which I played successfully using the same instruments before. Does anyone know why this occurs and how it can be alleviated?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it sounds to me like the wiring is to blame. The wiring might still work okay, but something might configured to work better the way it was wired before. Maybe the data is getting sent through and a 'MIDI Thru' is enabled in a piece of gear that didn't affect the patchbay before, and now is retransmitting the same data causing a lock-up. That's a guess of course. Try changing the 'MIDI Receive' channel on the patch-bay (I'm assuming it has one, I'm not familiar with that unit), and see if that solves the problem. Either way, you'll need to check the signal flow from the computer to the patch-bay to find the problem. Also, try sending some patch change messages through the patch-bay, and see what it thinks of that. Good luck. Let us all know what the problem/solution is when you find out. :idea:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Well, the wiring was to blame, somehow. I rearranged the connection scheme so that the sequencer used I/O set 1 (instead of 4) like the old way the room was wired, after a couple hours crawling around, the problem is gone. But I sure wish I understood why its gone. Is there something unique about I/O set 1, it looks just like any other one of the 8. It is in some way different than I/O set 4, obviously.

Archived