Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Awesome electronica from 1962!!

Yesterday I played an instrument that made the coolest electronica noises I've heard, period. If you've heard Santana's early 70's live in Japan album, _Lotus_, you've heard these sounds. A Yamaha Electone organ, mint condition, someone paid $8900 for this in 1962. Solid State! It has a built in leslie where the speakers actually spin- the contacts are on brushes like a DC motor. The solo keyboard is touch sensitive in a unique way, like an old acoustic clavichord: You can vibrato with your hand like a guitar. Lots of wah wah and fuzz noises available. Some really cool old drum machine backgrounds available, lots of latin and "Rock Jazz", years before _In_a_Silent_Way_. And the crowning glory: An optical felt strip a foot long, where you can make portamento/glissando/theremin noises to your hearts content. This feature is so beyond up to date, maybe they'll come out with it next year. The noises are pure classic synth, long before the Moog. Outrageous. 1962! Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my music appreciation course in school years ago, we listened to early electronic music....way early.......talk about some whacked out sounds. All coming from a big wall of electronics, knobs, meters, switches, and patch wiring. A word of caution, listen with an open mind.....its some foreign otherworldly stuff.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

It's going into my friend's living room, a great big nice acoustic space, so I will be able to record it. I wouldn't know how to sample it, but I could record some of the loopier space noises. I plan to do some overdubs with it. Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived