Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opening For James Brown...

Just found out last night 'bout 9p.m. we'll be doin' a 1/2 hour before James Brown tomorrow. It's [b]always[/b] a trip when you know you'll be on the same stage as someone like him. He's older but, his band still kicks major ass! This gig started out in Feb. or Mar. as a "maybe" then, it went to us playing after James, then, I kinda put it into that catagory in my mind where you don't worry or, think about it. That's where it was till last night. Anyway, the reason I mentioned it was because no matter how prepared you are, or think you are or, how much experience you have, you still get nervous. Last night my first thought was, Sh*t what are we gonna play? then, Damn! what am I going to wear? then, Fu*k we can't get up on the stage halfsteppin' in front of James Brown! !@#$!@$^#&$& It will be alright, but boy, semi short notice can sure get ya pumped up! Sly :cool: This signature was a kinda off the cuff personal joke/reference to the show, not thinking we would play, let alone have to open.
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats. Nothing like a little pressure to get that blood boiling. Enjoy the moment for what it's worth, bring your camera and make sure your shoes are nice and shiny. Paying a visit to that 70's thrift store may also be a good idea :thu: . Good luck..

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

[quote]Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly: [b]Just found out last night 'bout 9p.m. we'll be doin' a 1/2 hour before James Brown tomorrow.[/b][/quote]Go up to the tall skinny guitar player with the PRS if you get a chance (Keith) and say "hey, aren't you Travis Petrie? (the bass player in his band), that should illicit a funny reaction.... No, better yet, say you play in a band that has a new drummer from Augusta named Dave who is an artist, who drives an old tan Mercedes station wagon and has some yellow-ish Gretsch drums (his drummer that is moving to Nashville this month), that should get an even stranger look, "what the hell is Dave doing driving here???" he'll think... I hope you read this before you go to the gig.. Check out the drummer Erik Hargrove (skinny, goatee) during soundcheck if you get a chance; he doesn't get to let loose with all of this chops during the gig, but he's got a warehouse full of them.. [b]but, his band still kicks major ass![/b] Trust me, it will kick the guitar player's mental ass if you tell him his drummer Dave is coming your way to play drums, it will throw him for a loop... Please oh please do this.... Just say you heard him play in Atlanta years ago or something and called him up, it will majorly confuse him (everybody in town thinks he's going to Nashville)... the look on his face will be priceless.... Just remember, Dave, yellow Gretsch drums, tan Mercedes station wagon, about 5'10", brown scruffy hair and says puns a lot.... Please please please this will rule if you do this...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

(Screams): HEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!! JUMP BACK...KISS MYSE'F...HOOHHH!!! (spins around) Cool, Groovepusher. Speaking of James Brown drummers, I know a guy here in KC who claims to have played a few sessions with Mr. Godfather du Soul. Always wondered if he was on the level or bullshitting. The guy's name is Remon Grayson (he went by Randy for awhile too)... He's a good drummer, but you know how bullshit flies around amongst musicians.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Just checking in to see if G Sly read my post... If you guys can imagine, Keith would be a LONG way from Augusta, and he hears that his drummer isn't moving to Nashville like he thinks, but playing with some guys in Chicago instead he's never met or heard of and nobody knew... "huh, wha??? Dave? How do you know Dave? Playing in Chicago? What?"... I could figure out a stunt to pull on Erik, but see, I have things I want Erik to play drums on...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

The gig was cool, James and all of his band members and singers are very cordial folks. It was blazing hot about 90 & sunshine all day. The whole show was on time and, everything went without a hitch.... (Except somebody knocked my trusty ol' D-70 off the stand!!! Just as I'm coming up on stage, I see the stage crew picking it up!!!! Plugged it in and it was fine. That thing has just worked all these years.) The audience receieved the Groovepushers well. But the ultimate was when James said we sounded good and that we did a good job! A couple of his band members said we were funky. Now that's the shit! Chip, Chip, Chip, that was just what i needed. All the cats were there chillin, that would have been a doosie and just the kind of thing to really make the gig memorable. But, as you have probably guessed by now, I didn't get back to my machine. I started to check the boards Saturday morning but a friend of mine who was following me to the show, wanted to check their hotmail e-mail (an hour's worth!). I didn't think anything of it cause I was trying to recoup from Friday night. A friend of ours plays with Slave and they didn't start till 11:30p.m. Then I was getting ready. But hey, they're supposed to be coming back in a few and, if I get a chance I'll drop the line on him then. And one thing [b]I won't [/b] do is not come back here and check for reply's to a pre gig post. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, it was one of those days I'll never forget and, nobody will ever believe. :) Sly :cool: Now I have to catch up on what's been going on here!
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived