Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.S.M

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by   :

You'd have to ask the Postal Service about that. I haven't seen that one in the lobby display.

It's really rare... :D

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/

Basses:

'73 Fender Telecaster Bass

'85 Modulus Quantum 6 Thruneck Custom Pre-Serial

'86 G&L L2000 Fretless

Opus 5 String "Frankenwood" Fretless

www.Ebassist.com

I'm probably going to really offend certain people I consider friends, but ... to be honest, I find this pious discussion really ironic, in view of the "gosh yer so cool" discussion about this thread:

My Fat Ass Tuesday

Which then gets props in this on this forum in this thread:

Cottonmouth DN gig stories

Doesn't it seem there's a bit of a double-standard if we're blasting a guy with a gyrating woman for an avatar because it endangers children and offends our sensibilities ... but then we're rah-rah-ing a thread that goes in-detail about "boobies" and taking advantage of drunk women, and is filled with f***ing this and f***ing that?

Perhaps the real problem is that RSM "treads the line" without having a post-count over 3000 ...

Boobies are good. This is a line that I will not back down from. :D

I hear where you're coming from, Music-Man; but there is a difference in written versus visual displays. Medium does effect media; look at what's happening in talk radio censorship right now versus was is displayed during daytime hours on MTV.

The main reason I found RSM's avatar a bit over the top is it makes me a bit uncomfortable viewing the page at work. A fair point could be made that I should be working instead of browsing the forum, but that's a whole different subject.

I truly think the distinction here is that RSM ASKED for opinions. I don't think anyone actually complained before this thread was started.

Originally posted by dcr:

I gotta go with mm.

I think he has a point; but have we considered context of conversation?

Mardi Gras -> Drunk Yuppies -> Girls Flashing -> Boobies? Yuppie girls who think their poop doesn't stink all of a sudden acting like those "bad" girls after a Zima or two.

This is different than random pictures used as avatars.

Maybe you don't see a distinction, and we'll agree to disagree. It's happened before. :D

No one is asking for a G-rated forum; but there is naked and then there is nude. Naked is dirty and nude is art. Maybe that's not right, but that's society.

Just a point; I have seen Erik catch flak on this forum. Jeremy, Greenboy, and Coyote have caught flak on this forum. Bumpcity and BenLoy have caught flak. DCR, I'm giving you some flak right now! ;) These are all regulars. I think a high post count gives you some cred, but not a license to kill.

RSM DID NOT catch any flak; he asked the question. How is he all of a sudden a victim? RSM, do you feel victimized?

The only person who doesn't catch flak is Sweet Willie. Is it because he's sweet? I'm not so sure about that. :D

Sorry stranger and everyone else who loved the boobies, but I decided it was time for a chagne. Maybe I'll bring the boobies back at a later date. I hope you all like the new avatar... :D

For those still interested in the boobie avatar, get it below while it lasts.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/picturejokes/12893.gif

3 years old! you sick son of a....

:D:D:D

good way to brighten the mood! :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Anybody can find something offensive about anything. I thought we had moved beyond all this and did not have to dwell on it for 3 days. Sure, he asked our opinions. We do not need lectures and Bible lessons about it. We do not need the negativity. I always thought this place was great about the maturity, but, even the posters held in high esteem have resorted to immature finger pointing. Grow up. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to look at it.

I have found numerous things offensive about this place and many of the members, even those held in high esteem. Some of you come off as pompous asses. Others come off as "elitist" and not welcoming new members or lambasting them for asking a question, even though it has been asked once or twice before. Stop being such an ass and act like a human being. Put yourself in their shoes. Think how it feels to have these people ripping into you and then the others laughing at it. You cry that you want more people to come around here but you act as if you want to keep it between the few that are here.

I repeat, grow up.

Originally posted by cornbread:

Anybody can find something offensive about anything. I thought we had moved beyond all this and did not have to dwell on it for 3 days. Sure, he asked our opinions. We do not need lectures and Bible lessons about it. We do not need the negativity. I always thought this place was great about the maturity, but, even the posters held in high esteem have resorted to immature finger pointing. Grow up. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to look at it.

I have found numerous things offensive about this place and many of the members, even those held in high esteem. Some of you come off as pompous asses. Others come off as "elitist" and not welcoming new members or lambasting them for asking a question, even though it has been asked once or twice before. Stop being such an ass and act like a human being. Put yourself in their shoes. Think how it feels to have these people ripping into you and then the others laughing at it. You cry that you want more people to come around here but you act as if you want to keep it between the few that are here.

I repeat, grow up.

I don't mean this in any kind of argumentative way or anything like that, but your post started off by requesting an end to the negativity, but by the end of it...

Just an observation.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Originally posted by jeremyc:

The avatars that people use give us an indication as to the personality and maturity level of the posters.

Your avatar is a glimpse of your inner person. ( :D OK, so I'm a narcissist at heart!) The fact that you decided to change it indicates that you didn't want to be known as the dude with gyrating women on the brain. Yes, you are entitled to the contents of your brain and the freedom to express some of those contents, but not if it inspires offense to others. See any KKK or beastiality avatars 'round here, 'bro?

As an old fart whose seen (and done) far worse, it doesn't matter to me, but when I surf at my lady friend's home, I take pains not to view anything that would be remotely offensive to her or her 5-year old son. I care about both of them and want to remain friends with them.

Other than the implications of sex ("it's always tease, tease, tease" I think the Clash once sang) it (your lady friend) was kinda cute in a 60s-Playboy kinda way. I think the next generation (as implied by the 13-year old with the 22-yr-old maturity level who spoke previously, I am honored by your presence here) will ID it as a throwback to earlier male-fantasy mindsets, but I really think you want to be remembered another way, like by your expertise with things bass-ic and your sensibilities to the community-at-large.

:wave:

Originally posted by jeremyc:

The former avatar inspired me to go to Alizee's website and watch her video "I'm not twenty".

As far as I can tell this song and video has nothing to with music, singing, dancing, sex, or anything that I can perceive. It might make a good ad for Pepsi, though.

lol... ditto.

And since I'm here, I agree with cornbread 100%.

...simply stating.

The forum is for the most part self-regulating. The mods are more commonly just contributors themselves, and they rarely take liberties in deleting offensive material or dictating forum etiquette; they make suggestions, sure, but rarely wield their power all over the place. You could argue, I suppose, that there have been too many self-regulating threads recently; I can live with that. But that is just your opinion, and the only thing you can do is post your opinions in favor of less self-regulating (which would be some seriously ironic meta-self-regulating), or the old standby of trying to ignore it.

fred the bass player:I think the next generation (as implied by the 13-year old with the 22-yr-old maturity level who spoke previously, I am honored by your presence here) ...
I think this is the first time anyone's been honored by my presence anywhere! thanx fred

I have to say I am really impressed by the members of this forum. First of all, RSM had the class to ask about his avatar. Secondly, people of either opinion had a mature conversation about the issue. Finally, several people voluntarily changed their avatars. Wow. Thanks for that. Thanks also to those who offered encouraging words to me. It meant a lot. I plan to stick around this forum for a long time.

:):):)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived