Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MiniDisc as recording tool with Mac

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone out there used portable MD players as a recording tool, particularly with Mac, and how successfully you interface the player with your Mac. Anyone?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I use MD for live recording and to mix less critical tracks to sometimes. As far as to Mac, no, I transfer MD to CD. BTW, the newer portables sound as good as some older DAT machines.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Unless you get into the more expensive MD units you won't have a digital out. A lot of the cheaper portables have an optical IN but no OUT, so you would just go analog LINE-OUT on the MD to analog LINE IN on your soundcard and record to your hard drive using a program like Sound Forge or Wavelab and burn to CD from there.

I've transferred songs from my PC to a MD recorder before (one of the small Sony ones...). I'm running a Sound Blaster Live with a Live Drive box (full of lots of connectors). I'm afraid my knowledge of Mac sound cards is non existant... If you want to get the audio from your machine onto the MD you are going to need a sound card with SPDIF (fibre optic) connectors. If you haven't got SPDIFs you could try your normal line out but you'll not be working in digital. The problems I found were that, since the MD recorder is just a glorified tape recorder, timing when to record on the MD recorder and when to start the track playing means sitting over the thing.... The MD recorder I have creates a new track if there is a 5 second pause between songs - sounds great but in practice you can end up with one track that contains 5 songs because the gap between songs was not long enough.... Plus there is the downside that you physically have to sit there for the length of time you are recording your tracks to MD... On the plus side, you can append to the MD any time you want to though which is why I bought mine. In my opinion you are better off recording to hard disk and burning your own CDs - it will need less watching over and cause less agro... However, it depends on what you plans are with the Mac and the MD recorder - do you want to use it like a hard disk recorder for recording your own creations or are you recording MP3s to it?

Hiya huge - I was just wondering how well a MD would interface compared to other devices - seems like it is ok but a little manual. Thanks big time for the explanation! ;)

My Sharp MD-MT-15 has a start record on input feature, most of them do. Also you can dis-able that start new track after pause feature. You can delete, move and do basic editing all on the unit, very cool. I don't think you would have any problem just using analog in/out either.

Sorry that was a bit long - had to get that off my chest... :D The bottom line is - a MD Recorder is like recording into a tape recorder - you've no automation control so as you say it's all manual... Have you already bought one?

[quote]Originally posted by The Matt: [b]Well, I use MD for live recording and to mix less critical tracks to sometimes. As far as to Mac, no, I transfer MD to CD. BTW, the newer portables sound as good as some older DAT machines.[/b][/quote]Analog, baby! BTW, you will be able to find portable MD with computer interfaces (USB, I believe).
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Thanks wewus - yep there are some good interfaces out there - particularly impressed with the ones by Xitel - very funky... [url=http://www.xitel.com]web page[/url]

Archived