Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar Training: A Business Case?

Hi, I just saw the Sonar 2 demo at Sam Ash in Long Island. Way cool. This is a longish post about Sonar training. It was clear from audience remarks at the demo that there is some interest in Sonar training and education resources. I know the "Power" book's out there, and the Musicated http://www.musicated.com/SW/swhome.htm tutorial, and that various media tutorials (see http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/sonarmc1/sonarmc1.asp) , including Craig’s, are available. There’s a reference to Sonar training by Alexander University, but I don’t know much about it. Anyone like to chime in on the idea of offering augmented Sonar training resources? I'm thinking of working on this idea further, but only if there's a real -- if modest -- business opportunity there. I.e., for a fee, because this is no casual proposition, and would require plenty of work. Ideas being kicked around include: · IN YOUR STUDIO This would be a city by city tour with prearranged appointments. You'd sign up and pay on the web, discuss your needs and setup, schedule a time, then chat with me first about what you need. Two ways to go here. One is a seminar style format, similar to what Cakewalk is doing for its major markets. Another is one on one. I’d meet you in your own studio. · WEB BASED Several angles here to consider here, depending on how many folks have broadband. (1) Webcast. Suitable for small groups, or one on one. (2) Netmeeting or pcAnywhere or other remote access facilities. This would be one-on-one, but would depend a lot on bandwidth and CPU resources on your computer, since the sharing software steals significant cycles. · DISTANCE LEARNING Also several options within the distance learning arena. (1) A tutorial that walks you through the product over the web, with useful exercises and multimedia support. Would probably require broadband, but not necessarily. We’d probably write this in Authorware or Flash. (2) A multimedia CD or DVD – computer based training tool that you install on your own machine. (3) Hybrid solutions involving both. · SONAR PLUS WHAT? Training could include Sonar as the centerpiece, but if there are commonly requested collateral software packages, those could be included. These options all have their pros and cons. If the business model isn’t totally half-baked, we can pursue more than one option. I have some intuitions about this idea, but I’d really like your reaction. What should training include? What would be a reasonable fee?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a bad idea. I would say that for a one shot in person seminar should be no more than $1000 a day. an over the web, distance learning would have to be considerable less expensive, say, less than $100. Good luck
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived