Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Video Editing

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro and DIgital Performer on my Mac for editing video and audio together. On the PC side, I use Adobe Premiere and Sonic Foundry Vegas Video. You can easily get 40 minutes of video into the computer if you have the hard drive space, fast interfaces (firewire) and fast drives. Oh, and fast processor speed helps, too. Also, of paramount importance is setting up the computer properly for video. When first using the firewire interface on my G4 to import video from a Canon digital video camera, we were experiencing dropped frames and loss of sync. Set everything up as suggested (which we should have done in the first place!) and all was rosy again. Drew
Andrew Mazzocchi

Final Cut Pro 2 iMovie Powerbook G3/400 Bias-inc's Deck 3 for audio SONY TRV-27 miniDV Works great. My most recent project is in the neighborhood of 25 minutes long; because I use an external Firewire HD for video and audio data, I could conceiveably do a video about an hour in length. For 40 minutes, don't expect to be able to make a Video CD for final product--you'll have to go to VHS or DVD for that.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Well, in fact what i want to do is to export to VHS. It is only that I was not sure if it was possible to make so large video files. Thanks! What do you think of pinnacle studio? what are the main diferences between low end, D8 cameras, and high end ones?
Rebuilding My Self

On the PC you can also look at Avid Xpress DV. I've been checking it out, and it's pretty cool.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I use Avid and like it alot. I've worked mostly on ExpressDV, but have used Media Composer and both are easy to use and work great. If I had a Mac, I'd check out Final Cut Pro 3. Seems like a great program for the money. I wish I had a Mac so that I could try it. Like someone else said earlier, you are only limited by what your computer can handle. 40 minutes of video shouldn't be a problem provided you have a decent sized processor, and a large hard drive. It also depends on the type and quantity of effects that you use (if any). Effects, especially real time effects tend to use up alot of space and power. --Matt
"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he'll spend all day in a boat drinking beer."

But it's really vital that you get an external HD for your audio/video data, and leave your system software and application software on the computer's HD. Asking the computer's HD to operate the computer, run the application, AND store data is way too much, and you'll end up nowhere because of skips and corrupted data.

As far as "Video Factory" is concerned you can down load a demo from Sonic Foundary. When starting out like me, it's easy to learn without out laying alot of $. My next step is Final Cut Pro with my Mac. I have just purchased the new Panasonic NV-MX350A 3CCD camcorder. Thanks for the tip about the Firewire drives guys. Also how should I config my PC and Mac for video. Sorry about cutting in but this post is great timing for me. Nick

Don't know about PC's, can't understand the things; but for a Mac: Start up the computer. When It's ready, go under the Apple menu on the upper left, open "Control Panels>Extension sets", and set your extension set to "Mac OS base", restart. When it's ready, install FinalCutPro, and any other video-related software. When you're done installing the video software, go back into extensions manager, and rename the current set as 'video' or some other name that makes sense to you. Save that extension set. Then go down and restart the computer again on the base extension set, and do the process all over again, this time with your Internet software, like IE or Netscape, etc. Do the same routine again for graphics programs, or any other function specific software. What you're doing is creating different identites and options for your Mac to work with, drastically reducing (if not eliminating) extension conflicts, which are a primary cause of crashes. It's kind of like having multiple custom brains for your Frankenstein monster (and that analogy is not a chance one). When you're done with all of this, you'll need to restart the computer under the extension set for whatever you want to do. Before you open the programs you want, click on their icons, and press apple-I, for 'Get Info'; in there you'll be able to select memory allocations; give your apps plenty of memory (give your computer as much memory in advance as you can afford...the more RAM the better). I usually set the minimun amount a litlle higher than suggested, and the maximum amount as much as I can reasonably spare. In my case, I've got a Gig of RAM in my Powerbook, which is crazy but hey, it's cool. So, I give FCP a minimum of about 10 megs over what it asks for as a minimum, and the maximum is something like 200 megs...because I CAN. Hope this helps.

Archived