Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE BEST SOUNDING B-STRING BRAND

JUNK MAN

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for starters there is this key on your keyboard with "Caps Lock" written on it. It would be wise to press that once. You appear to be an awful jackass when you type in all caps.

The 'floppy' B-string is going to be dependant on two things:

1. String gauge. The bigger, the better for keeping things tight.

2. Your bass. Is it a 34" scale? 35"? Generally, longer scale basses have tighter sounding and feeling low B strings; but this isn't always a definite thing.

My advice to you is to buy a set of whatever strings you currently use on the bass, assuming you like them, in a heavy 5-string gauge. See how it sounds. Or, just start buying individual low B strings and experiment. That's really going to be the only way you're going to find something that works for your application.

Also keep in mind that you may need to change the nut to accommodate the larger strings.

Thanks for the "KEY" tip Bumpcity. Sometimes I forget to switch off the caps lock. As far as the bass is concerned, it's a 34 scale 1996 Peavy Fondation I picked up for $50.00. I know I'll most likely have to change out the nut(a shame, because I just made a new one out of bone to replace the crappy graphite that was on it). I currently use DR Sunbeams(045-105)on my basses and I love em. Maybe I'll try the "Lowrider" nickels since that say the tensions tighter on these. Thanks for the help!

Amazing how a little thing like the CAPS LOCK can turn an apparent raging HULK into a reasonable, intelligent person. :D

I have settled on D'Addario strings for my fretted basses. For the B, I have used their super-heavy gauge strings (.145) - it was super-tight, super huge. Lately I've backed off on the weight though; finding it's just too fat to sound balanced with the other strings ...

I've had good luck with Lowriders on my 5 strings in the past. If they don't work, try swapping out just the B string with various brands. Most music shops will sell strings individually. That will be a lot cheaper than buying 5 full sets of strings just to try different Bs. Happy hunting.

Although I AM a LaBella endorser, I have done extensive research on B strings. I've tried virtually every one on the market with just a few exceptions. I have found the LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel 128 B string to be the best. It's not as heavy as some, but it has a great fundamental, and sounds good all the way up. It works great on my 34" scale basses. Nothing else I've tried has come close to producing clear, musical tones on the first 5 frets.

Just my opinion.

Archived