Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seal's face ... the scoop

For those of you who want to know ... [i]from Yahoo's launch music service:[/i] . Dark-skinned, great-looking--despite (or in addition to) mysterious scarring on his face (contrary to popular belief, his triangular cheek scars are not the result of ritualistic body-modification, but of a childhood bout with tuburculosis)--
I really don't know what to put here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]I'd be more curious about what the hell happened to his career! :eek: [/b][/quote]I'm sure getting into a fistfight with Trevor Torn didn't help much. Alot of acts that have worked with Trevor, never do anything after they stop working with him. Maybe because he's the real talent?

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

[quote]Originally posted by Henchman: [b] [quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]I'd be more curious about what the hell happened to his career! :eek: [/b][/quote]I'm sure getting into a fistfight with Trevor Torn didn't help much. Alot of acts that have worked with Trevor, never do anything after they stop working with him. Maybe because he's the real talent?[/b][/quote]Wow, Seal doesn't seem like the type to get into a fistfight, does he? And that's a heck of a mismatch, too. I mean Seal is like 6'4" and every pic I've seen of Trevor, he was the slightest person in the group. Trevor Horn is a pretty amazing producer. Most of the things he touches turn to gold(or platinum). Maybe he'll produce my album if I ask him to. It's Either him, Bob Ezrin or Mutt Lange. At least I have it narrowed down. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]He was put off because Trevor kept trying to bribe him with raw fish.[/b][/quote]It took a second, but, that was so f'ing funny!

[quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]He was put off because Trevor kept trying to bribe him with raw fish.[/b][/quote]...or maybe schnitzengrueben(sp??) ([i]update - Frank changes his "Blazing Saddles" avatar, so this might not make much sense now.[/i])

I know someone that played on some of Seal's stuff. He said it was all Trevor Horn. Appatrently Horn would have several versions of the backing tracks done by different combinations of musicians spanning the tracks on 2 48 track Sony recorders. Horn would than spend endless hours editing and putting together the end result. I must say I like the final result. My friend on the other hand said that the sessions were a real drag. Horn had him play the parts until my friend felt that all life was drained from his performance. He also said that on one tune the original basic track was Seal, an acoustic guitar and a click track. Everything else was an overdub.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac: [b]He also said that on one tune the original basic track was Seal, an acoustic guitar and a click track. Everything else was an overdub.[/b][/quote]what's so odd about that? I'm recording some stuff right now done that exact way.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I heard Seal`s scarring was due to Lupus in childhood. TB is a lung disease, used to be known as consumption. I heard him say that he wrote the song that was used in the `Batman and Robin` film ten years before. That would have been before he started working with Trevor Horn, ya?

[quote]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by gtrmac: He also said that on one tune the original basic track was Seal, an acoustic guitar and a click track. Everything else was an overdub. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- what's so odd about that? I'm recording some stuff right now done that exact way.[/quote]This is not the "traditional" method for recording a track. Used to be that the drums were done as a basic track so that the other instruments could play to the "feel" of a human drummer. I record stuff in whatever order I feel like these days but I am using a sample player for drums so it really doesn't matter. The Seal recordings used a real drummer and this is considered an "underdub" to acknowledge the fact that the drums are traditionally recorded first.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

quoted by spigots: [quote]I heard he was trampled by a rabid gang of golfers [/quote]brilliant! = instant gold membership.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

Seal actually had a disease during his childhood that caused the scaring on his face (I don't remember the type). I love his music and his voice-definitely something different and unique, IMHO.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

[quote]Originally posted by malcom seagrave: [b]Has anyone else noticed that the chorus of the Nickelback song for the Spiderman movie is very much like Seal's song used in the Batman movie? Take a listen.[/b][/quote]Funny...when I first heard that Spiderman song, I wondered if Seal might've written it for them. I hadn't pinned it down to a specific tune but I definitely felt a Seal vibe goin' on...
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by rog951: [b] [quote]Originally posted by malcom seagrave: [b]Has anyone else noticed that the chorus of the Nickelback song for the Spiderman movie is very much like Seal's song used in the Batman movie? Take a listen.[/b][/quote]Funny...when I first heard that Spiderman song, I wondered if Seal might've written it for them. I hadn't pinned it down to a specific tune but I definitely felt a Seal vibe goin' on...[/b][/quote]Yeah. I remember watching the movie and thinking it was him (and some differently processed vocal tracks). I furiously searched the credits with the kids in tow to see who the heck did that song. Never did find out until I saw the CD in the store. Trevor has a couple of cool websites out there. He give a slightly different take on what happened with Seal. RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

From a Trevor Horn worship site: "added February 6 1999: Seal and Trevor - Breakup and Reunion - The Facts On MTV News Seal spoke about the reason behind the temporary breakup with Trevor Horn. After a more or less violent argument in August 1997 Seal and Trevor quit working together and Seal started to work with another producer, Stu Levine. However, last July they returned to working together. On November 30 Seal told MTV: Well, we fell out to put it bluntly,but then I think that's the thing about any working relationship or creative working relationship, if they tend to be successful, they also tend to be tempestuous. I think that's largely because you have two creative minds, personalities, working together and it's not as if Trevor is just a producer. He's also an artist. The fact that he produces records, you know, it's coincidental. But he is a bass player by trade, and also he's a singer and he has fronted a band before, a couple of bands actually. So you really, if you put the two of us together in a room, yes we have, I hope, great creative moments, but there can also be tempestuous times. Particularly when you are striving for something new and you don't want to repeat yourself. I guess it would be similar to that of a band situation, so we fell out, and we kissed and made up and we finished the record. That's basically what happened. On the liner notes of his latest album Seal reprinted what seems to be transcript of one heavy argument with Trevor: Artist: why can't you just do what I fucking ask, man? Producer: Well, if you were here more, you'd see that i've been trying! Artist: I shouldn't have to be here all the time. You're the producer, aren't you. so. What you're saying is that the track's finished, bar the vocal, that there's nothing more to do. Is that correct? Producer: Yes Artist: Why is it so keyboard heavy? I said that I didn't want to use too many keyboards? Where's my guitar track. Where's Chris's guitars? Producer: Michael. Where's Chris's guitars? Artist: What are you asking Michael for? Producer: Well, I wasn't here when he was laying them down. Artist: So. Michael's making decisions on what's right for the songs, now, is he. Why do the guitars sound like that? Anyone can hear that they're not right. It's no wonder you didn't put them in, in the first place. I mean, if what you're telling me is that Michael's producing, I don't know why I don't just pay Michael the fucking four points. What were you doing whilst Michael was producing? Producer: I'll tell you where I was. I was comping your fucking vocal while you've been off at some fucking wedding in the south of France, that's what I've been fucking doing? I've had enough of this shit. I won't be talked to like this anymore. Come on, Steve, pull the board down, we're going home! "
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by malcom seagrave: [b]Has anyone else noticed that the chorus of the Nickelback song for the Spiderman movie is very much like Seal's song used in the Batman movie? Take a listen.[/b][/quote]That is soooooo blatant. A kid brought that in a few months ago to learn in his guitar lesson, drove me nuts! It's hilarious! It actually sounds like they tried to copy the Temple of the Dog sound on the intro, it's "Say Hello To Heaven" leading to the buildup/break... AND curiously the lyric, coincidentally, includes the word "Heaven"...Hmmm... The percussion lets it morph into the Seal territory. The "Kiss from a Rose" break leading into the same ascending diatonic progression, with basically the SAME melody on top??? You've GOT to be kidding? Inversion in the bass when it resolves the modulation at the end of the progression, if I remember right? Same splashy cymbal tag at the beginning of each verse. The solo has the flanged out/leslied thing that was going on on the Temple of the Dog recording. Then, they stick in a middle 8 that's remarkably similiar to the middle 8 in Seal's "If I Could", BUT with the "Kiss from a Rose" melody reharmonized over it. I remember thinking the dividing line apparently was resisting putting a bigger reverb "splash" on the snare when it comes back in after the middle 8. They HAD to have been given the instructions, or at least thinking "Kiss From a Rose played by Soundgarden". Nothing against the Nickelback guys, it's cool they probably made their pension fund from doing that, BUT it would have been cooler to have paid Cornell to write a ballad (which he's obviously killer at) for the movie AND sing it. Oh well, I suppose that would make too much sense and be too "risky". For that matter, sense it would appear that Seal has been deep-sixed by the idiotic industry bastards, he could have been enticed I bet to have a go at it. Or better yet - a duo with Seal and Cornell. Oh well. The entertainment industry is so exquisitely competantly prudish in what it does these days, it's so actinically bland, painfully bland. Haven't seen the movie, but this makes me want to avoid it (easy enough, I don't have time). Regardless..... HILARIOUS. Temple of the Seal.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by malcom seagrave: Has anyone else noticed that the chorus of the Nickelback song for the Spiderman movie is very much like Seal's song used in the Batman movie? Take a listen. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dude, Its eery. THe first time I heard it, I commented to a friend that seal should have sang this song because it sounded so much like what he would make, and the friend agreed.

Archived