Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Training books.

l Bad Religion l

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do a search on Carol Kaye to get her site.

activebass.com is decent enough, I guess. I learned a few 12 bar blues stuff from them, and the bassline builder is pretty wicked. Check both out.

Well, if you could get your parents (considering your not out of the house yet) to pay for some lessons, it'd help you a lot. I find it takes a lot of self motivation and self discipline to learn well from books.

In Skynyrd We Trust

If you are truly serious, you will sacrifice something else and buy the books.

I checked out your website. Nice job.

No drummer?

Maybe you want to be different from everyone else in your town, but there are a lot of people in the world who are just like you. You don't want to be at odds with them, do you?

Your guestbook page is unreadable. Lose the background.

Now all the time you spent worrying about websites and t-shirt designs you should have been practicing.

By the way, I taught Matt Freeman of Rancid when he was in high school. He and his bandmates basically starved for years and years until the band finally took off. Music and his band is the only thing that matters to Matt. He made every sacrifice imaginable to achieve his goals.

And Ill say it before anyone else does,

Ease up on the redundant post, this would have fit nicely on your other post.

Get your flame suit out if you expect to continue in this manner.

:rolleyes::)

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Jeremy and Da Lady In da Pink Dress are both right from my perspective.

If I were you I buy the ear training book, or look hard at the Carol Kaye site. But, I don't know the Ear Training book you're considering, but there may be better ones-- the one by Ron Gorow is big, and comprehensive. Actually based on the titles of the books you mentioned, I'd keep looking. A crappy book you'll finish in no time and learn a little. There are books that will serve you a life time, look for them.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Okay, I just looked at your website. It is indeed nice. If you guys did it yourself then one of you guys should do web design if you don't already.

Now that I've gotten an idea about of who you like and who you listen to, I've got some advice. Listen to those favorite records of yours and try to pick stuff out by ear. Listen to the songs over and over, singing along with the basslines. Then try to work them out on your bass.

Considering you guys play ska-core-punk (whatever it's called these days), may I suggest delving into the roots of this music on both sides? I cut my young teeth on many of these bands:

Ska:

-The Skatelites (Earliest known jamaican ska...lots of easy basslines)

-The Specials (Horace Panter set the standard for second-wave ska bass. His lines will keep you in the woodshed for weeks if you're starting out)

-Madness (once again, tons of relatively easy basslines that are full of lessons in major and minor triad arpeggios)

-The Toasters (The master class. Matt Malles takes Horace Panter's style and filters it through Jaco and Bootsy, tearing it up with some seriously tight and tough stacatto fingerstyle lines, wicked double and triple stops, and cutting slap lines)

Punk:

-The Ramones (c'mon man, these guys invented this stuff)

-The MC5 (they were angry proto-punk-rock back in the flower-power '60s, man. You wanna talk hardcore???)

-The Sex Pistols ('nuff said. Sid Vicious couldn't really play that well, but that's an asset here. His lines are real easy to learn, and his "bash the bloomin' strings to fookin' 'ell" style works perfectly.)

-Fear (Okay, this stuff is tough. Odd-time signatures and bizarre harmonies abound. The bass isn't especially easy (Scott Thunes' lines on their second album are downright scary), but it's a good example of how far "out" punk can be taken from a harmonic and rhythmic standpoint and still be called punk.

Archived