Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Living Colour's "Collideoscope" -- anyone?

_Sweet Willie_

I really enjoyed Living Colour in the early '90s. They recently released a new CD, Collideoscope, and I was wondering if any of my bass brethren have picked it up and might offer some thoughtful reviews, and some reflection on Wimbish's bass playing.

I like what Doug Wimbish brings to bass playing -- I think he's pretty experimental (especially when it comes to the use of effects, but also in terms of what he does musically -- he seems to have a wide range). I enjoyed the interview in BP with him in Dec. 2003.

Anyway, anyone got this? Anyone listened to it?

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fret not, Sweet Willie! I'm interested.

I used to love Living Colour back in the day. I've been a big fan of Doug since Melle Mel's "White Lines".

Unfortunately I've been to busy for recreational listening :cry: I'm anxiously awaiting commentary.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I really enjoyed Living Colour in the early '90s. They recently released a new CD, Collideoscope, and I was wondering if any of my bass brethren have picked it up and might offer some thoughtful reviews, and some reflection on Wimbish's bass playing.

I have the album, but since I'm not a real bass player (I just play one on TV), I can't really give you any feedback on DW. I'm more of a songs guy, so I can give you my impressions of those. I did notice that he has a great tone, and a few of his patented weird little burping effect-laden fills would pop out of the mix now and then.

Overall, the album's pretty good, about on par with "Stain", which I also liked a lot, but didn't do too well. As always with this band, there's lots of sonic experimentation. Vernon Reid's tone sounds almost exactly how it did ten years ago, so if you liked him then, you'll like him now. I would say that most of the songs aren't very "hooky", and many go off into hardcore-ish chromaticism. I think that's sort of neat, but if you're looking for a "Cult Of Personality", you won't find it.

Corey Glover does some of his best-ever singing for the band, though. Some terrific vocal performances. There's a bizarre (and very reverent) cover of AC/DC's "Back In Black", and also a cover of "Tomorrow Never Knows" to add to the large pile of new versions of that song. :D

I'd love to see them live again.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Originally posted by Yogi:

Overall, the album's pretty good, about on par with "Stain", which I also liked a lot, but didn't do too well. As always with this band, there's lots of sonic experimentation...

...Corey Glover does some of his best-ever singing for the band, though. Some terrific vocal performances.

Sounds good to me. I, too, enjoyed Stain. Nice to read your comments about Corey's singing.

Originally posted by Yogi:

...and also a cover of "Tomorrow Never Knows" to add to the large pile of new versions of that song. :D

Thanks to BenLoy's thread of the past I find that comment uproariously funny. :D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Ever wonder what Muzz Skillings is doing these days?

I do! (Wonder as well, that is.)

I listed Muzz as one of my favorite players on another thread. :cool:

I need to get this new album. A good colleague of mine recommended it me, just haven't got it yet. Cripes, I haven't even managed to listen to all the CDs I *DO* have.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

i saw the big reunion show at summerstage, wow i guess that was 2 years ago? gotta love a band that plays their first major gig back in central park and it's free.

man, i work too much. i can't believe there's a living colour album out that i don't own. they covered back in black? too much. i gotta have this.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived