Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes? No, really, YES!

_Sweet Willie_

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Hey dcr, did you notice there's a show in Kansas :eek: ...oh wait, no, I'm wrong :o , there isn't :( . I shoulda stuck w/ my gut instinct on that one. ;)

:D:D:D

seven smileys... such a rollercoaster of emotion in that post :D
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Why have this on a Monday night? Kills me this time of year...it's contest season.

Besides, I saw Yes on PBS...pretty good but Steve Howe is scarey lookin' these days...much more scarey than Freddy or Jason!

I'd rather see Chicago...I saw them on PBS and they were smokin'

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Darn!! There is a performance in Scottsdale. But I'm on call at the plant that week and can't leave town :cry:

Oh well, They'll probably put it out on DVD one of these days and I'll see it then.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

Oh well, They'll probably put it out on DVD one of these days and I'll see it then.

The street date for the DVD is the following day, Tuesday 1/27. FYI, from the Yes site:

"The three hour film is an intimate and humorous observation into their music, their life on the road and their own personal views. The DVD shows footage from the worldwide Full Circle Tour as well as providing revealing interviews with all of the band members."

Dig it.

The cinema showings are promo for the next day's release (see Lizzy D's post above). They're throwing in a live acoustic broadcast as part of the movie showing -- cool.

FWIW, the Chicago area showing, in Lincolnshire, is at an IMAX theater. Assuming they're showing the film on the massive screen IMAX system we ought to be able to see the grungy crap under Chris Squire's fingernails as well as the sweat ooze from his pores -- and this doesn't even get at what the sound quality is like at that venue! :thu: (Now I just need to get permission from my better half to take in this show!)

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by LizzyD:

Originally posted by Ayatollah Watts:

there's a show in NoVA I'd go, but I have NO idea who the hell these people are...

Uh....well never mind, then. If you are a bass player, you might benefit from becoming familiar with their music. :wave:
school me on somethin.. I know they're rock but what kind of Rock?

Pink Floyd-ish?

Beatles-ish?

Jimi Hendrix-ish

Kiss-ish?

Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

Originally posted by LizzyD:

there's a show in NoVA I'd go, but I have NO idea who the hell these people are...

Uh....well never mind, then. If you are a bass player, you might benefit from becoming familiar with their music. :wave:

Pink Floyd-ish?

Beatles-ish?

Jimi Hendrix-ish

Kiss-ish?

None of the above.

Yes is like:

(I'm stretching some here)

- a more pop version of King Crimson.

- Rush with a dedicated keyboard player

- early Genesis

- Gentle Giant

Yes is one of the first big progressive rock bands, if not *the* first big progressive rock band. There is most definately the influence of The Beatles in their work, and later you can hear Mahavishnu Orchestra's influence (most notably on Relayer).

They are a brilliant band. I highly suggest checking them out. Fragile is their most popular album, with a close second going to either The Yes Album or 90125. I'd personally recommend getting Fragile and The Yes Album to start with. But that's just me.

The technical term is "progressive rock" (a.k.a., "prog rock"). Different than anyone you've listed -- although maybe sort of kinda Pink Floyd maxxed up.

Often longs songs. The instrumentalists are virtuistic in their abilities. The music is both experimental and highly orchestrated.

Maybe hit amazon.com, search for the artist "Yes" under popular music, and taste some of those brief sound clips they provide. As a band, Yes has had several members, but the bass player -- Chris Squire has been pretty consistently there throughout (exception: Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford, Howe w/ Tony L. on bass). He is a monster on the instrument.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Pink Floyd-ish?

Beatles-ish?

Jimi Hendrix-ish

Kiss-ish?

Yes-ish :D

Seriously though Ayatollah, Yes is one of the founding bands of the Prog/art-rock genre.

They formed in the mid 60's and are therefore, contemporary to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, etc. and have many similarities.Yet they have been (for the most part) original in their style and approach.

Yes is/has been an inspiration to many bands that have followed in that particular style of rock music, Rush is probably one of the prime examples however, I don't think that bands such as Genesis, Kansas,Styx, Journey ( let me clarify, both Styx and Journey began as prog style{for the time} bands)to name but a few,would have gotten much traction otherwise.

These are just my opinions of course.

You owe it to yourself, at least as a bass player,to check them out.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

OOPS! Bump and SW beat me to the post, I need to learn to type faster :D

By the way Lizzy, thanks for the heads up. I guess I should have read the whole thing :o

I'll definately be getting a copy! :thu:

Prog Rock, yes.

Lyrics are less thematic than the Floyd, much more vague, like Zep. But not an ounce of metal.

There is simply no other major rock band out there that, person for person, matches Yes technically. These players are gifted. I could make the same argument for Chicago....I don't know who'd win in a battle of the bands!

They took the approach of writing music symphonically, with bursts of themes and counterthemes spinning through the whole.

I would say, as others have, that Yes paved the way directly for Rush, similar themes and style.

Influences I attribute to Yes...

1. Raising rock music well out of it's blues and pop beginnings, approaching classic composition.

2. Raising the expected level of musicianship in a rock band (which was devolved later by grunge, among others)

3. Expanding the sonic palette in rock music, to include the use of very bright, picked bass among other things.

4. Although pre-dating sequencing by years, they played (with fingers) music who's complexity would later be imitated by computers.

5. Cleaned up the image of rock...these are guys a girl could probably take home to their most repressed parent. Probably.

I'm no Yes expert, but I'll recognize their contributions.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

[QB]Wow! Come up on Mon 1/26 and I'll take you to the IMAX showing .../QB]

Oh, I see, insult to injury, eh? Very nice.

Well, it is playing in OKC, but I'd just as soon get the DVD as make the drive. (A live show, that's another story!)

Just not as lucky as folks like you & Bump, who will be seeing it in...Auburn?!? :freak:

Field trip for Yogurt & Half Zucchini? You seem to enjoy one another's company, and maybe you'd learn something.

I think we are all going. Of the four of us, I'm the one with the least knowledge of Yes-history (Yestory?). Truth be told, a lot of what I've heard from Yes makes me giggle, but since I'll be at this thing with Lizzy, I'll be on my best behavior. :P

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

• 2 weeks later...
Hey! Anyone else go? We went and it was really cool! I loved it when Jon Anderson forgot the words to "I've Seen All Good People". :D And when Wakeman didn't play that one off beat hit in the verse of "Long Distance Roundaround" not once but twice. I was amused. I had a great time. It never ceases to amaze me how Chris Squire makes that Rick look so small. He's a very large man.

I shoulda tracked you down, Bump, but I didn't get there until about 2 minutes before showtime.

I kind of thought Squire didn't quite get the groove right during the Van Morrison version of live-acoustic Roundabout (!).

I also noticed he played a Precision during South Side of the Sky (concert footage).

Steve Howe bought plane tickets for his guitar under the name "Mr. Gibson".

Didn't make it. :( Family stuff. At least I'm a great dad and husband! :thu:

(Good lord, dcr, you're gloating so loudly that I can hear it here in Chi all the way from KS!!!)

I'll just have to get the DVD, even if I missed out on the acoustic set...

spreadluv

Originally posted by Prague:

I shoulda tracked you down, Bump, but I didn't get there until about 2 minutes before showtime.

I kind of thought Squire didn't quite get the groove right during the Van Morrison version of live-acoustic Roundabout (!).

I also noticed he played a Precision during South Side of the Sky (concert footage).

Steve Howe bought plane tickets for his guitar under the name "Mr. Gibson".

FYI, we were the noisy group snickering down front! The whole thing was pretty cool, But I REALLY didn't need to see Chris Squire's face quite that large in front of me. I think we sat a little too close!

It's actually a Lakland he's playing on that song. Yeah, the acoustic set was a little rough, but yet fun and amusing in a lounge-y kind of way, like getting together with old friends. Yes performed the swingier Roundabout on Craig Kilborn last night, and it was very together and grooving. Rick missed a few notes and was laughing at himself.

They are announcing tour dates today, if anyone's interested. :cool:

Archived