Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help identifying Peavey amp?

Cup

Hi folks, I've just been re-united with an old Peavey amp that I used to own. I've been told by a somewhat unreliable source, that it's over thirty years old, and that it was previously owned by the bass player of the Stiff Little Fingers.

I've visited the Peavey site and can't find any info on this amp. So here's all I know:

Peavey TNT 130, Serial # 34 - 01659990. Built under U.S patent # 4,318,053.

Any information regarding age, wattage, etc would be very welcome! I'm asking out of sheer nosiness, the amp and I were re-united for the paltry sum of £40. I only bought it as a stop gap and backup.

Thanks, Cup.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teahead, what's the game, we're in the same !$&%ing band! :D You've seen and heard the amp!

For others who can be more helpful, I've just done a forum search (ready for flame war, yeah I should've checked that first) and I've seen, from another post, that apparently Peavey are still making this model. I've used the search function on the Peavey site, but it came up "no results".

The amp looks like it has one 1 by 15 speaker. Does the 130 indicate that it's 130 watts? It sounds a lot bigger than that?

I'm still mystified on age, power, etc.

Cheers, Cup.

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

Peavey TNT 130, Serial # 34 - 01659990. Built under U.S patent # 4,318,053.

IIRC it's the model above the TKO - 130W vs 75W, into a 15" Sheffield speaker. Pretty typical older Peavey - surprisingly loud for the wattage, utterly indestructible but with a weight to match and rather boxy but effective tone. A friend of mine used to gig with the 75W version and it never let him down though it seemed a bit of waste of his Stingray's tone to me.

Bargain at £40!

Alex

Peavey models over decades change even when the name stays the same (as it should be), and I don't think the Sheffield line of woofers existed 30 years ago. Wish I could be more help, but that's a big company. I think they do about 130 watts though into lowest ohms load.

If this is as old as my colleague CupMcMali

says it did NOT originally come with either a Sheffield or a Scorpion. I am fairly confident those speaker lines did not exist then.

Also note that the current Sheffield line available includes woofers (sometimes several) in 15, 12, 10, and 6.5" sizes.

Thanks for all the info folks. I think i should have gave a little more information!

The amp has came back into my destructive hands after spending roughly a year in the local music shops window. I blew the speaker, sent it in for a touch of restoration, (I haven't taken off the front panel yet to check what sort of speaker has been fitted) bought a "better" amp (a hypochondriac Ampeg svt3 pro) and decided to sell the Peavey. The music shop couldn't get shot of the thing.

My Ampeg's on the blink AGAIN so I'm back to the Peavey.

Alex, I know what you mean about the amp's ability to throw it's weight about, I felt unsure even asking if the 130 meant 130 watts. It sounds so much bigger. I also know what you mean about wasting a high end tone (bass wise) through a low end amp. But I've played this thing all day, and I'm so surprised with what I can get out of it!

Thanks everyone for all info passed on. I'm still unsure about the year it was built. A friend said that only higher end companies keep records of serial #/date of manufacture. Peavey's site, unlike other companies, have no mechanism to check this.

Anyone any rough guides near to hand? BTW, I hope I don't sound like I'm running this amp, or Peavey down in any way. This amp is a life saver and as previously mentioned, the sound coming out of it is fantastic.

Thanks to everyone!

Cup

Originally posted by greenboy:

[QB]If this is as old as my colleague CupMcMali

says...

Greenboy, I'm near sure the Stiff Little Fingers and age boast were a simple marketing device used by a "friend of a friend", to try and hurry my money along a few years ago...yes, I am that gullible (sp)!

But then again, we'll never know.

Cheers, Cup

A friend said that only higher end companies keep records of serial #/date of manufacture. Peavey's site, unlike other companies, have no mechanism to check this.
Let's get real here. Your friend needs to hire his sphincter out on the freak show circuit. It may not know what it's talking about but that isn't the point ; }

Peavey's site has probably thousands of products on it right now, pain-free shopping links to a web-insfrastructured dealer network that beggars description, has a backlog of probably tens of thousands of products and practically that many again in printed magazines, educative materials, and manage to get an incredible amount of that up onto the net. They have manuals on there that predate the so-called high-end companies - thousands of them at that.

But somewhere there at Peavey I'm sure they have a dimly lit cavernous area like Indiana Jones saw where they keep all the stacks of technical data that hasn't yet made it onto the website ; }

You could just slide out the amp preamp section and look inside for dating stickers or dated QA marks from the assemblists.

...Hope you have the best possible speaker for the job in there now : }

If this is as old as my colleague CupMcMali

says it did NOT originally come with either a Sheffield or a Scorpion. I am fairly confident those speaker lines did not exist then.

Also note that the current Sheffield line available includes woofers (sometimes several) in 15, 12, 10, and 6.5" sizes.

I'd wager that it's a Black Widow speaker? That's what they were putting in the DataBass 1x15 combo amp back in 'the day'. The DataBass was a bad ass little amp. That thing could destroy worlds with it's sheer volume and low-end goodness.

I would also assume that the "130" in the name implies a 130W power amp section. I'd imagine it does quite well, even with raging guitars and drums.

A friend said that only higher end companies keep records of serial #/date of manufacture. Peavey's site, unlike other companies, have no mechanism to check this.
Let's get real here. Your friend needs to hire his sphincter out on the freak show circuit. It may not know what it's talking about but that isn't the point ; }

Just to clarify things here, his, ahem, friend said that quite often, due to companies changing hands as they do, records of serial number can be hard to track down. This lost some of its accuracy to Cups translation.

For the record, my sphincter is now off the market, I try to put those days behind me...thankyou very much, Tea.

Greenboy, thanks for the manual. As I said earlier, I did do a search on the Peavey site, it came up blank :freak: And I couldn't have been more specific.

I'll have a look later for any info to help date the amp!

Invincible, maybe someone else on these boards has more STF' gear, get a little re-union together!

I just clicked on MANUALS, typed TNT into the string, and hit RETURN... Up came 8 or 9 results; I picked the one with "130".

Let me know if you ever want to replace the speaker and I'll check out what would give you the most oomph for the watts. I also added a decent piezo horn with a switch for a guy once - it added a subtle amount of detail without being sizzly.

Teahead, I found the sphincter touring pretty easy. Rolls and rolls of cash were to be had for very little effort. But I understand.

Archived