Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM

_Sweet Willie_

I did get to check out the Read Bass Purity preamp. Played it with a Stewart 1.2 and an Accugroove Tri-112. I liked it. Some of you know that I haven't really played through a preamp that said "yes" to me. This is one that I would really like to check out under ideal conditions, such as my own bass, two Accugroove cabs and some more power and be able to crank it a bit. It's really hard at NAMM to push the sound up and put things to the real test. I had some fun at the Bee booth where I played Mark's (Whappo's) six and Greg Campbell's Bee 9 string. I was amazed that his nine was as easy to play. It's set up with spacing similar to a P-bass. I've never seen myself going past a six-string but playing the right ERB could change one's mind. When I walked past the Adler booth I was handed his 11 string. Although it is a beautiful instrument that one is beyond me, but there were some players there that could handle it quite well. As far as eye candy I'd have to say that the Ritter basses are some of the best looking instruments I've ever seen. I also got to play through the Phil Jones Briefcase and to be honest was a little disappointed. I had my hopes up on it being a little meatier. I did hear someone else playing through the Six-Pack and it sounded good. Almost wish I would have stayed the extra day (I came home on Saturday) so that I could have had more time to "play around". As I stated last year after my first trip to NAMM, to me it's more about the people and relationships than the gear. Oh, and I never did get to meet Bob G in person.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Whappo:

2. Couldn't really get out of the booth to check things out. I did see (& even played some) amazing, Conklin, Nordstrand, Alder, Ambush, F Bass, Bee, Barker, Brubaker & Ritter basses....

Hey Willie (heh heh) he said "Nordstrand" (heh heh) /Butthead voice>

Mark - please scratch your head deeply enough until you can recall anything about the Nordstrand. Quickly or Willie's head will explode....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Mark - please scratch your head deeply enough until you can recall anything about the Nordstrand. Quickly or Willie's head will explode....
In that case, I'll wait a little longer. :D

Everyday I walk by the Nordstrand booth & drooled at his marvelous craftsmanship. We did get a chance to talk & you won't meet a nice person anywhere. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to pick one up to try it, which is the curse of having your own booth my friends.

Mark

AccuGroove.com

Yes, Carey brought the most amazing bass by the booth. The back alone was so gorgeous it looked like it belonged in a museum.

Unfortunately I couldn't plug it in, but unplugged it played like butter with perfect balance & feel.

There is most defiantly a Nordstrand in this boys future!

Mark

AccuGroove.com

I played the Norstrand basses on Sunday morning. I was truly impressed. Craftsmanship, design, playability and sound were all first rate. Plus Carey is a REALLY nice guy. I had trouble getting down there for the first few days and come hell or high water I was going to make it down on Sunday. I am VERY glad that I did

Mike Dimin

Carey: I know you stay busy, and may only be a very occasional forum visitor, but if you do swing thru here in the next day or two, I have an important question:

When will info and pics about the finished NAMM basses be going up on your website? I'm dying to see the finished products! :thu:

Thanks.

Mike D and Whappo: Thanks for your words about the Nordstrands. Much appreciated. Mike, I hope all went well at the EA booth.

Peace, y'all. :cool:

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

All this talk over Carey's basses have got me felling a little gassy. Help!

Actually, I have a question fro Mr. Nordstrand. As soon as I figure out a way to ask it in 1 paragraph or less, I will email it to him.

Willie,

The pics will be up very soon, hopefully by tomorrow. I just finished reconditioning the bass today. It had some little scratches in the slap zone and on the back - from NAMM badges I guess. It's back in brand new condition and all I have to do now is set up and photograph it. I'm going to post some NAMM pics at the same time...

Oh, and thanks for the nice comments Mike and Mark. :)

Thomas, ask away!

Carey Nordstrand is a real jerk and his basses are made in Korea!!

NOT!

Just kiddding , Carey. This is Adrian , by the way.

Folks, I have had a chance to play a few Nordstrands and I have to say, I have never played a better feeling bass or one with better construction.. at ANY price!

Absolutely immaculate top of the line stuff!

And as we can see, he is very helpful.

Sorry I missed the post NAMM pow-wow with you-know-who, bro...welcome to the forum.-- A.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Thanks for posting the pics, Carey. Lovely work -- really!

Any NAMM attendees have more stories to tell?

Wally, I'd like to hear more about the scene at BassQuake and what kinds of things you think the audience took away from the performances they saw.

Anybody see anything really innovative for bass players? (Outside of your own booths, gang!)

Peace.

--sweets

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Whappo:

With the newly designed Tri series we have been able to shave off 20% of the weight special lightweight woods & custom neodymium woofers & tweeters.. They are all 3-way design cabinets (the Jr. is a 4-way) with a 6 upper-midrange speaker & 2 tweeters. There is NO hiss in the highs at all.

The Tri 210L is the most difficult cabinet we have ever built. It's taken over 3 years of non-stop hard work & testing to get this box ready for release. It was the very first cabinet we ever designed, but I never felt comfortable making it available until it was perfect.

2 - 10 Neo Extreme Woofer with die-cast aluminum frames

1 - 6 Mid Range & 2 - Soft Textile Dome Tweeters w/ attenuators

2 Speakons & 2 1/4 jacks & Removable 2 Pop-in Casters included

Freq. Re. & SPL: 40 Hz - 18 kHz (34 Hz@-6db) 103 dB SPL

Dimensions: 21 ¼H x 24 ¾W x 18 ¼D Weight: 57 lbs.

Power Rating: 600 watts RMS at Both 4 & 8 Ohms w/ AccuSwitch

Oh, you bastard...

I'm hoping the 'exorbitant' price will help alleviate my GAS. :D

Alex

Archived