Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tribute Bands (a poll of sorts)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by lakeside studios: [b]More tribute band names from my area: The Rolling Clones Nearly Dan The Pretenders ;) [/b][/quote]I saw the Clone Roses once.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]I wanna start a Pixies cover band. I'll be Joey Santiago if Lee will be Kim Deal ... who the hell could do Black Francis? AJ?[/b][/quote]Oh oh, pick me, pick me! I love the Pixies and most of Frank Black's solo stuff too.

Gee there may a future for me after all! I have been told many times that I look like Michael McDonald--even more so as my gray hair continues to take over my beard and goatee. As Michael McDonald gets older and gains some pounds as he has we look even more alike. I play keyboards. If I can train my voice to sound like his, (which may not be too much of a stretch), there just might be a future as a Mike McD tribute band leader! I have a goal! BD
"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

[quote]Originally posted by posterchild: [b]Of course, Michael McDonald is still around and performing, so it'd make no sense to be a tribute act. [/b][/quote]That doesn't seem to stop a lot of people. For instance, in this area there are not one, but TWO Dave Matthews tribute bands. And they both routinely draw huge crowds. WHY, I do not know. Then again with the way ticket prices are for major concerts these days, a lot of people probably don't have much choice but to see a tribute band. :mad: --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Blues Disciple: [b]Gee there may a future for me after all! I have been told many times that I look like Michael McDonald--even more so as my gray hair continues to take over my beard and goatee. As Michael McDonald gets older and gains some pounds as he has we look even more alike. I play keyboards. If I can train my voice to sound like his, (which may not be too much of a stretch), there just might be a future as a Mike McD tribute band leader! I have a goal! BD[/b][/quote]Yeah, you could call your band the Allmandoobie Bros.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think they still sort of count as a tribute band -- to Led Zeppelin AND Elvis, I guess! I saw them quite a ways back -- very funny!, and I'm pretty sure that they are still around, or at least where a year or two ago. I seem to remember seeing them gigging around town here about that long ago! [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]...there's some tribute bands that put a pretty funny spin on things. Nudist Priest (you can figure out what these people do) Hell's Belles (female AC/DC tribute band) [/b][/quote]LOL... well along those same lines but not really a tribute band, do you remember Dread Zeppelin? They aren't still around by any chance? --Lee[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by gatorwing: [b] But it would be cool to be the "60's Tribute Band" and play the songs I like from that era.[/b][/quote]That's what my bandmates' old band did, and we still do a lot of it. We don't do any big hits to speak of, more of the obscure stuff like on the "Nuggets" collections, which kick ass. --Lee

Tom Constanten used to be the keys player for the Dead, back in the 60's, so nobody remembers... he's a terrible punster, often in a few languages at once. (He gave me prepared piano lessons!) But at one time he was in a Dead tribute band that played the Oregon Country Fair, and I knew right away from the name who had named it: The Dead Ringers Lee don't think I didn't notice! :love: Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] For instance, in this area there are not one, but TWO Dave Matthews tribute bands. And they both routinely draw huge crowds. WHY, I do not know.[/b][/quote]I hear ya. I personally never got Dave Matthews or his music. But that's just me...

Dave Matthews kinda grows on you. Well, maybe not everyone, but, I for one am glad he's getting radio airplay. Definitely better than a lot of stuff on the radio these days.

[quote]Originally posted by lakeside studios: [b]A few years ago,when bookings were a bit slow for a band I was in,we formed a tribute band to ourselves,to drum up a bit of interest.But it all got horribly confusing.........[/b][/quote]Reminds me of the old bluegrass band Hot Rize; they were their own warmup band (I can't remember the name off hand) but they played different instruments and had cheap disguises (fake moustaches, etc). The bass player even had some tablature in "Frets" magazine of his walking bass technique (he had his bass strapped on and walked around a lot). :)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by iBotch: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by lakeside studios: [qb] they were their own warmup band ( :) [/b][/quote]devo used to do that. come out in jeans and t-shirts and play rock tunes and get booed off the stage! -d. gauss

Tedster - my current cover band does about 8 Allman tunes, so we are almost a tribute band. Here in NY, there are lots of tribute bands going thru - for existing and extinct acts. I'd love to do Beatles - I could handle the bass parts, but not the vocals... Elvis Costello for sure. Cactus or Beck/Bogert/Appice as well. The Byrds as well (same vocal problem). Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Dave Matthews kinda grows on you. Well, maybe not everyone, but, I for one am glad he's getting radio airplay. Definitely better than a lot of stuff on the radio these days.[/b][/quote]I have heard some great DM tracks while hanging with friends, but what I've heard on the radio doesn't do it for me. Still, I will admit that his band is very good, and your right, his music is better than a lot of the shit you hear on the radio these days (someone kill me next time I hear "this is how you remind me" for the billionth time) :mad: .

[quote]Originally posted by Tom Capasso: [b]Tedster - my current cover band does about 8 Allman tunes, so we are almost a tribute band. Here in NY, there are lots of tribute bands going thru - for existing and extinct acts. I'd love to do Beatles - I could handle the bass parts, but not the vocals... Elvis Costello for sure. Cactus or Beck/Bogert/Appice as well. The Byrds as well (same vocal problem). Tom[/b][/quote]So, one of these days, you, me, Blues Disciple, and a drummer (wait, have to have two guitar players for Allbros) oughta get together for some jammin'... :D :D :D I like Beatles and Byrds, too...

(I'm quite zonked, but...) I used to be in "Cheap Floyd". I knew around 90% of their catalog at one time. It was great fun, but frustrating we were trying to do it 3 piece and which presented a lot of impossible situations... in retrospect we should have been more liberal with arrangements and just winged it even more, to make it more unique. Because there's two types of tribute bands: the "Total Experience" kind, that not only tries to sound just like the band they're emulating, but look like as well (which is always funny; do a search for "Kween", a Japanese Queen tribute band)... then there's the "Interpretive". I really think the later category is more interesting. Dread Zeppelin will hold your attention much more easily than most Zeppelin tribute bands IMO, much more interesting and entertaining. Did a Police cover band for a brief instant. Don't remember much of anything from it. I'd love to do a Queen tribute band, with someone who could do Roger Taylor's drum style justice, that'd be a lot of fun (and of course a good Mercury VOCAL imitation...) Lee: have you seen that all-acoustic Black Sabbath trib band? The DMCB thing is amusing; I remember about 2 years ago seeing them advertised playing dives opening for people, and now - did I hear they did Lakewood???? Seems to me a lot of bands on the radio may as well be either Soundgarden, Metallica, Nirvana, Greenday or AIC tribute bands. They all seem to fall into a category that one of those bands typified. 3 a.m., time for breakfast (for "yesterday"... ack). THIS CONCLUDES MY "POST OF THE DAY".

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

...and let`s not forget pearl jam. It`s interesting how, when a lot of blatant copy bands get confronted by it, they say they play what they do as a `tribute` to their favorite bands. That`s what Hootie and the Blowfish said when they got in trouble over the lifting of Bob Dylan`s `Tangled up in Blue`. But guys-you`re making money from it-how can you be surprised? Maybe we need a category between tribute and ripoff-a ripute band? a triboff band?

Archived