Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tribute Bands (a poll of sorts)

We've got a few "tribute band" folks on the boards. Of course, we're all familiar with the mighty Khan's Adventures in Floydland. But, a question... If you were to start a tribute band, or look to join one, which group would you seek to pay homage to? I'll start. For me, probably The Allman Bros.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody heard of "copy bands?" I think that's an East Coast US thing- I've seen a flier for a "Grateful Dead copy band" as long ago as 1987 or so. Sounds distasteful to me- I prefer "cover band" or "tribute band"! I want to play drums in an Ellington recreation, or guitar in a Jimi one, if you're going to make me join a "tribute" band now.... Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Well, I've done Stones tribute bands before, but not in years... my bandmates have subbed in Beatles tribute bands, and we do a lot of Beatles songs anyway, in fact we're doing a Beatles tribute for one night next month. It's fun for an occasional thing, wouldn't want to make it a full time job! --Lee

Well, the idea was not to insinuate that tribute bands are a good thing, or a bad thing, or everyone's cup of tea, etc. ...just, if you [i]were[/i] going to do one, either full time, or once in awhile, who would it be? Or, you could just say, if you had the run of your cover band, and you'd like to bias it toward a certain well-known band, who would it be? And, BTW...I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing...I've heard of people being called up from "the minors"...the "tribute band farm clubs" so to speak, to the majors, i.e. bassist from Johnny Winter tribute band getting a gig with Winter himself, for instance. That said, I don't think I'd ever put together a tribute band..it was just another topic "log" to toss on the conversational fire.

Although I would never be in a tribute band.I guess if I had to it would be Merle Haggard,since I know just about everything he did.
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

i'm not sure i would ever join or start a tribute band, but every time someone here mentions theirs, i do get a little bit jealous. there was a guy who use to post in LowDown who played in a Gabriel/Genesis one in Europe, that would be cool. Floyd, Soundgarden, Django's Hot Club. there used to be a great Hendrix tribute band called SRV :eek: :o

i would like to do a Meters tribute band. there is a band in town here thats a Misfits tribute band. and i have seen a Kiss tribute band complete with the makeup and costumes, and even the equipment... and the SIGN... the one night i saw them the SS got stuck while flashing for the rest of the night.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I got to sing into a 58 g.g. had up his butt the night before- quite an honor :freak: The soundman said he sounded like shit! I wanna play drums in AJ's Meter's tribute band! Ever heard a live Meters bootleg from the day? Oh yeah! Ted

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I don't quite have the talent for it, but since this is "wishful thinking" I'd say a Steely Dan tribute band. There's a great SD Tribute band from CA called "The Hoops McCann Band", they're a brass big band that do big band arrangements of SD tunes, highly recommended if its still available!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Sorry Tedster didn't mean to pour cold water on your thread.I guess if the mortgage depended on it,then it would have to be Steely Dan - that stuff is such a joy to play. A few years ago,when bookings were a bit slow for a band I was in,we formed a tribute band to ourselves,to drum up a bit of interest.But it all got horribly confusing.........

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

I've played in a Skynryd tribute band when I was a 17 year old youngster. It was quite fun plus I got to learn some great Billy Powell piano playing. It really helped build my chops. Now, I'm with Tedster---it would have to be an Allman Brother Band tribute--as long as I get to wear the blonde wig, play the Hammond and sing like Brother Gregg. (Actually my dream gig is to play keys with the Brothers even its for just one song) BD
"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]how about a g.g. allin tribute band? -d. gauss[/b][/quote]Right on!!! :) So, off topic slightly, there's some tribute bands that put a pretty funny spin on things. Nudist Priest (you can figure out what these people do) Hell's Belles (female AC/DC tribute band) Shania Twin (I just like the name of this) Joshua Trio (ditto) A few more I can't think of right now.

[quote]Originally posted by Blues Disciple: [b]I've played in a Skynryd tribute band when I was a 17 year old youngster. It was quite fun plus I got to learn some great Billy Powell piano playing. It really helped build my chops. Now, I'm with Tedster---it would have to be an Allman Brother Band tribute--as long as I get to wear the blonde wig, play the Hammond and sing like Brother Gregg. (Actually my dream gig is to play keys with the Brothers even its for just one song) BD[/b][/quote]SHIT...you can play Billy Powell stuff and you're into the Allbros? Why do ya have to live in Carolina? :D :D :D Ain't Kansas City good enough? :D :D :D

Carolina to KC is a mighty long way to drive to practice three days a week! LOL. My keyboard heroes are Gregg Allman, Billy Powell, and Taz Digregorio (w/The Charlie Daniels Band)along with the very typical Jerry Lee Lewis and Billy Joel. I was (and still am to a great extent) a damn Yankee (grew up in NJ) who loved Southern Rock so much that I moved to Winston-Salem after school and stayed. I cut my teeth on the old Southern Rock keyboardists and now they are part of my own boogie woogie, blues and honkey-tonk style. I have a voice similar to Allman's as well. If the ABB ever called it final (they've tried at least three times and keep on keepin on), I would be very interested in doing the tribute thing. It seems tacky to me to do a tribute show while those your covering are still living or at least playing. Kinda like putting the cart before the horse if you know what I mean.... BD
"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Our friend Coaster has a Barry Manilow tribute band. Their version of CopaCabana is indistinguishable from the original, and he can also dance JUST like Barry.[/b][/quote]That's gonna leave a mark. :eek: :eek: :eek:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Isn't there an SD tribute band from the NYC area called "Steely Damned" ? I've heard that session musicians who really played with SD often join in the fun. Well, it's always lame on a BBS to post a "me too" but I'd have to say Steely Dan myself. I'm a keyboardist, and Fagen is my hero. Nobody sings like him, either.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]...there's some tribute bands that put a pretty funny spin on things. Nudist Priest (you can figure out what these people do) Hell's Belles (female AC/DC tribute band) [/b][/quote]LOL... well along those same lines but not really a tribute band, do you remember Dread Zeppelin? They aren't still around by any chance? --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] And d gauss! Where the heck have you been? Nice to see ya back. :) --Lee[/b][/quote]yes i'm back. we were on the road. played in toronto with that blind guy jeff healey. he's a monster. nice gig. as for tributes, don't forget "skotley crue" ...all ska versions of motley crue. and the aussie album "stairways to heaven" put together by rolf harris which is aussie tribute bands doing "stairway" in the style of the band that they are a tribute to. i.e. the b-52's tribute band does it like rock lobster, the doors tribute band does it like "the end", etc. must be heard to be appreciated -d. gauss

"Carolina to KC is a mighty long way to drive to practice three days a week! LOL. My keyboard heroes are Gregg Allman, Billy Powell, and Taz Digregorio (w/The Charlie Daniels Band)along with the very typical Jerry Lee Lewis and Billy Joel. I was (and still am to a great extent) a damn Yankee (grew up in NJ) who loved Southern Rock so much that I moved to Winston-Salem after school and stayed. I cut my teeth on the old Southern Rock keyboardists and now they are part of my own boogie woogie, blues and honkey-tonk style. I have a voice similar to Allman's as well. If the ABB ever called it final (they've tried at least three times and keep on keepin on), I would be very interested in doing the tribute thing. It seems tacky to me to do a tribute show while those your covering are still living or at least playing. Kinda like putting the cart before the horse if you know what I mean...." The Charlie Daniels Band almost WAS an Allmans tribute band for a while there in 1974-1976, I love those records "Fire on the Mountain" and what's that other one with "Carolina" on it... I got a gal named Sue, she know just what to do, and if she played keys for the Allmans they would be twice the band they are! No shit! Only I'd have to cover the Gregg vox... ;) My local co-op check out girl from the south is buds with the killer new Allmans bassist, who has the unprecedented taste to play an old Fender Jazz instead of that active tripe... I think with Dicky out of the band, the Allman's ARE over, but I'm a fanatic... Ted

I wanna start a Pixies cover band. I'll be Joey Santiago if Lee will be Kim Deal ... who the hell could do Black Francis? AJ?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived