Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

routing the outputs of a bunch of things to one set of speakers

Sorry for the clumsiness of the title :D But this is the first time i've had to do this without a mixing board, and i don't have a lot of experience with patchbays yet, so i just want to make sure i'm on the right track here.... Like the title says, i need to route a bunch of different components, like my soundcard, DJ mixer, DVD player, outboard samplers/synths, etc. to all play (independently or concurrently) out of one set of monitors. Is a standard patchbay all i need to do this? Or is there an even easier solution? If a regular patchbay is all i need, does anyone have any recommendations? ($200 or less, if possible) So far, I've been looking at the 48 point Neutrik model that looks to be available for about $80. Which brings me to another question: With patchbays, are there big differences in sound quality between all the different models? Or are the differences so negligible that it's more important to look at the configurability?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Like the title says, i need to route a bunch of different components, like my soundcard, DJ mixer, DVD player, outboard samplers/synths, etc. to all play (independently or concurrently) out of one set of monitors. Is a standard patchbay all i need to do this?[/quote]No. First of all, I'm unaware of a patchbay that has all its jacks wired to one another in parallel. Even if that were the case, you would definitely not want to "Y" cable your components together. The reason for this is that all the outputs of your gear become "visible" to one another, and they all try to drive one another. At the very least, some nasty signal loss can result. (I'm not sure as to what conditions would actually cause real damage to the components, but the possibility exists.) It is possible to build a box/ cable that will allow you to do passive summing... but I would highly recommend some kind of mixer, if only a simple one. (Regardless of what you said above.) -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

You might want to take a look at Coleman Audio and Martinsound for some examples of switch boxes that do this - just to get an idea of how it can be done well. They won't be in the under $200 range though. A patch bay would work for single souces maybe, but summing like that for concurrent playback probably needs a mixer or summing buss of sorts. I think Rane makes a Stereo mixer for keyboards that may work or look aroung for an inexpensive mixer with several stereo inputs - maybe even one of the small Mackies.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Archived