Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Supporting live music: I feel nice...

_Sweet Willie_

Originally posted by getz76:

NYC is pretty dead on the weekends during the summer as far as the bar-crowds go. Everyone is either at the NJ Shore or the Hamptons.

Doesn't this depend somewhat on where and with whom you hang? The sociologist in me says that there's some confounding w/ social class... n'est-ce pas? ;)

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a fair point, Willie. However, most of the live music venues in the city cater to a younger crowd. The majority of this crowd is busy creating the latest "Girls Gone Wild" video in some bar in Belmar, NJ.

I'm not saying it's COMPLETELY dead, but I can get gigs at really good venues on the weekends in the city. That says something. :D

For years now, Thursdays have been big nights in Manhattan. Some of it is the chance to party with work-friends - the weekends are either done in the "home" territory or away on vacation.

And in Hartford (other than Wednesdays at Black Eyed Sallys)?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 11 months later...

Golly! It's a thread revival!

I checked out a local music spot last night that I hadn't been to before -- The Dancing Goat in South Orange, NJ. Nice joint. It's a coffee shop with a separate performance area in the back. Couches and tables'n'chairs -- comfy. Good coffee and tasty desserts.

I went to see the Dave Stryker Trio -- jazz show. Dave Stryker is an excellent guitarist. He plays most often in the NYC area, and I highly recommend catching one of his gigs.

I can't remember his band members' names now (shame on me), but the drummer and electric organ player were excellent. Seeing an organist who plays such solid basslines on the pedals w/ his feet while his hands are busy on the keys is always an inspiration to practice -- so we bassists don't become obsolete!

I brought my daughter (8 yrs old), even though it was after her bedtime. Her guitar teacher is somewhat of a mentee of Dave's, and he showed up, too. (Sidenote: my daughter gives The Dancing Goat's hot chocolate her seal of approval.) I think she had a good time, and I hope that seeing such a great guitarist in the flesh continues to encourage her budding musical interests.

I think she was also really pleased that Dave acknowledged her presence in the audience, saying, "I heard about you. You play guitar, don't you?" My shy daughter nodded her head and smiled.

Unfortunately she was too tuckered out to make it through the entire set, so we didn't get to meet Dave after the show. Another time perhaps.

Who else has been supporting his/her local music scene as an audience member of recent? Any good acts or spots to recommend?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

This was her first "official" gig. The coolness of the venue is that it's a coffee shop/club and not a bar/club, so her being so young is not a problem on a number of levels.

She's seen performers at outdoor fairs, etc., but this was her first real gig.

She's seen me play a couple of times at friends' parties, but I haven't gigged for real since before she was born.

Hopefully I'll be able to do this with her from time to time. This was sort of a unique event given the locale, the connection to the headliner, etc.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Don't know if this really counts, but my parents, my sister, my girlfriend and myself went out for dinner tonight (nice Italian restaurant) when all of a sudden 3 guys walk in with a violin, a Spanish guitar and an URB, and started playing (mostly Italian) songs.

Really cool !!

They came to our table, because my sister was smiling at them (she wants to learn to play the violin) so I got to get a good look at the bass players upright technique. It was fun and interesting to see that, as I've never really seen anyone play URB from up close.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived