Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Supporting live music: I feel nice...

_Sweet Willie_

...like sugar and spice!

So, this morning in the car, after dropping off the kids at day care and school, I was thinking that I was feeling surprisingly upbeat considering that I'd gone to bed pretty late the past couple of evenings. Usually when I start stringing together a couple of late nights and early mornings in a row, I become more of a Spicy Willie (even a Sour Willie) rather than a Sweet Willie.

It then dawned on me that the reason I am feeling so damn good is that the reason that I've been up late is because I have gone out to hear some live music!

>

Two nights ago I attended a blues jam (sans instrument) at a relatively new blues club in a neighboring town. I heard some fine players (and a couple who were having a rough go of it). One of the bass players, holding it down for a couple of tunes on EUB, was none other than preamp mastermind Les Plopa (see: Kern IP-777 ;) ). Greatest of all was the scene at the club -- a real range of ages and ethnicities, a nice gender mix, and the players brought a variety of blues stylings to the stage. Plus, everyone in the audience was hangin' out with each other -- really nice vibe.

Then, last night I was invited by a drummer pal to check out a jazz combo for a local jazz station's holiday "listeners' party." The combo was so-so overall, but the bass player (North Texas educated, mind you!) did a terrific job, and played one of the stronger URB solos I've heard live in a while. He was also a pleasure to talk to after the gig.

>

My point, friends, is that you should go out and support your local music scene -- even on a weeknight, or even two weeknights in a row! Someone's gotta go hear those acts that get the crappy slot of a Wed night gig at 10pm! You'll feel better about life, the universe, and everything!

If fact, you'll feel nice, like sugar and spice.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

[QB Someone's gotta go hear those acts that get the crappy slot of a Wed night gig at 10pm! [/QB]

I just DID one of those last night! I arranged a little pick up gig at a local country bar that's having classic rock on Wednesdays. It was supposed to be an impromtu reunion of sorts with a singer and guitar player I used to gig with many moons ago - alas, they hit some bad weather and couldn't make it at the last minute. :( The guitarist from my orig. project agreed to help me out, so I made him a bunch of charts 4 hours before the gig and fronted it myself. Hell, I even remembered the lyrics to songs I haven't sang in 20 years. I HAD A BLAST!!!!! :D:D:D We actually had a decent crowd, too and they were gettin' into it almost as much as we were. I've gotta do this more often. :thu:
Later..................

Originally posted by LizzyD:

And don't forget about Sundays at midnight. For instance, Half Zaftig will play the Central in Seattle on Sunday Dec. 14. Featuring Mr. Bumpcity and me! :D

Dear Ms. Roscoe Bergantino and Mr. Lull Bagend:

As reliable as I am trying to become as an engaged and enthusiastic audience member in support of musicians who suffer through the ugliness of unfortunate gig day/time slots, I must RSVP in the negative concerning my attendance at your upcoming display of musicianship on the 14th of this month.

My apologies, but the travel distance is simply too great. I wish you the best for a fine show.

Sincerest regards,

Sweet Willie

spreadluv

Hey I agree,

I try to go to one live show a week.I usually pay the cover even if I could get in for free.I figure there might be something to that Karma thing and plus I just dig checking out who's doing what.

Hey lizzyD I might show up at the central on the 14th but I'm not sure cause I'll be returning from Montana that day and might be to exusted.

i grew up watching TV and i turned out TV

I accidently did the same thing this week; Monday night I went to see the Time Jumpers, a 9 piece western swing band with Dennis Crouch playing wonderful upright bass (as he always does). On the way home from that club, I won tickets to the Tuesday Grand Ole Opry. Tuesday, my wife and I went to the Opry, and the last act on the show was the fabulous Etta James, who had done a full show at the same venue the night before. (Occasionally they do non-country acts on the Opry; Joni Mitchell has played it, and somewhere around here I have a CD of James Brown's appearance from the 70's). The other act on that segment was Little Jimmy Dickes - a wonderful dichotomy of styles in a single half hour...

Wednesday, I went to the new BB Kings, and saw Jimmy Hall and The Prisoners Of Love, with Mike Joyce playing bass. Mike has played on records for Sherrie Austin, Gene Cotton, Radney FOster, Rebbecca Lynn Howard and others, and is a successful songwriter. The guitarist, Jack Pearson, has recorded or toured with the Allman Brothers, Greg Allman, Bobby Blue Bland, and Jimmy Buffet.Drummer Tommy Wells has recorded with everyone from Don McLean to Riders In The Sky, and the front man, Jimmy Hall, sang with Wet Willie, and Jeff Beck, played harmonica on Allman Brothers and Grand Funk Railroad records, and sax with Charlie Daniels and Hank Williams Jr. Just a Wednesday night in Nashville...

And liaat night I went to a christmas party that had dueling pianos. I guss that counts as supporting live music, even though they were too loud...

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Agreed. I can't think of a better way to spend my time or money. Especially when <15 samolians gets you 2+ hours of blistering music. Everyone should check out the local music scene.

Here in Ottawa, two of my fav places are the Rainbow, which is a blues venue with music almost every night, and the Black Sheep Inn, which is actually about a 15 min drive across the border into Quebec. I saw Daniel Lanois, that's right, of U2/P Gabriel/etc producing fame, also happens to be a Gatineau native, do an intimate show there during Bluesfest this summer...wow!

Open mic nights are another great way to see what's happening in the local scene. Cafe Dekcuf...ha ha...is a great place for that here in Ottawa, as is Cafe Nostalgica, Ottawa U's little grad bar. The best part is it's awesome motivation to go home and play yourselves!

• 1 month later...

I'm doing my best to increase my attendance at live music in my local area. There's certainly plenty of it in and around Chicago. Here's an update...

Saw a great band last night -- the Robert Cornelius 7. R&B/soul/funk outfit. Mix of originals and covers (Stevie Wonder, Sting/Police, War, and others). Robert can sing -- fantastic voice! :thu: Used to sing w/ Poi Dog Pondering. The lineup includes vox, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums, percussion, and last night they had a guest harmonica player on a few tunes.

The bass player is a friend of mine. It's the first time I'd heard him gig. He was uber-solid. Great feel, great sound. He was workin' it last night! Terrific player. For those who are gear-curious, he gets it done w/ Fender American Deluxe 5-string J basses through an Eden Navigator preamp, a Carvin power amp, Eden 4x10 cabs, and a GT-6B multi-effects.

Anyway, if you're in the Chicago area, they'll be playing the Abbey Pub (on W. Grace, a couple of blocks north of Addison, between Kimball and Elston) every Wednesday night this month. They usually have someone open at 9pm and they go on at 10pm ($7 at the door). You won't regret it (and they have very tasty fries w/ a curry gravy on the menu).

Peace. :cool:

>

spreadluv

My personal preference for live performances are original rock bands and jazz in a small setting (my favorite bar of all time is Detour on 13th St. at 1st Avenue).

It's good to live this close to the Village. :)

That said, I will almost always take a live band over a DJ. Cover bands that play disco or latin are always fun as well. Big-bands that play at black-tie events are always fun.

Umm, did I just describe Jeremy? Crap. :D

Unfortunately, in a lot of places around the country, places like TGIF's and Applebees and such are cutting into the local bar traffic. That's a shame. There's nary a live performance at these corporate restaurants.

Well said, Willie!

And sometimes really unexpected and good things come from it...

A few weeks back I went to see this kick ass blues man who used to live here. He was back to play a weekend gig at the joint my band is now the house band for. The dude and I went to high school together in the seventies, so we got talking in the break. We were playing there the next night, so he decided to come sit in with us.

If I had not gone out to see that show, we never would have had the most famous blues man from this region show up the next night to sit in.

The moral of the story...

Support live music, and it will support you back!

:D

Originally posted by getz76:

My personal preference for live performances are original rock bands and jazz in a small setting (my favorite bar of all time is Detour on 13th St. at 1st Avenue).

I'm much the same. My favorite spot in NYC was the 55 Bar in Sheridan Square. Small. Great music -- although there was always the occasional exception when I'd hear something pretty crappy. Free popcorn.

Here in Chi-town I like to take visitors to the Green Mill. Live jazz and used to be a speakeasy owned by Al Capone where he used to hang out. Not a particularly small place, but tends to get crowded. Gets me there a couple of times a year.

The place I talked about in my first post will probably be where I land next. I want to try to take in one of the Thurs evening jazz jams.

On Monday I hope to read about some folks having gone out to hear live local music this weekend (if they weren't gigging!).

Peace. :cool:

spreadluv

Here in Chi-town I like to take visitors to the Green Mill.

I used to live one block from there (yes, it's a HORRIBLE neighborhood) and I'd go there for the poetry slams. It's been a while, though.

Your thread has inspired me, Mr. Sweets. I will endeavor to get my butt out to a club this weekend.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Your thread has inspired me, Mr. Sweets. I will endeavor to get my butt out to a club this weekend.

Yeah! You get down w/ your bad self, 0-9!!! :thu:

May I be so bold as to recommend also the Abbey Pub on a Wednesday evening to hear the Robert Cornelius 7, or is that too crazy? ;):D

spreadluv

I really enjoyed Andy's Jazz Club in Chicago. I saw a great quartet when I was there last year.

Willie, Bar 55 occasionally has a good act these days. However, as of late, it has been really hit or miss. :(

For rock, I still love the Lion's Den. Or, for all out dive-bar, C-Note or Acme Underground. The Mercury Lounge is very nice; great stage.

Maurizio,

I still love the Peculiar Pub...oh wait :o ...they don't have live music just a massive beer list...damn... ;)

I actually used to get a kick out of the "miss" nights at 55. I'd also remind myself that I hadn't paid an exhorbitant cover and $10/drink at a more prominent jazz venue very, very close by. ;)

Peace.

--Sweet "still spreadin' the luv" Willie

spreadluv

I still love the Peculiar Pub...oh wait :o ...they don't have live music just a massive beer list...damn... ;)

:D

Yes indeed. You know, if you get up to 36th St., you could always head to the Ginger Man; 100+ beers on tap. Insanity.

Willie, Bar 55 occasionally has a good act these days. However, as of late, it has been really hit or miss.
Whenever Wayne Krantz plays there it's definately a big, BIG hit. I've seen him there twice with Kieth Carlock on drums and damn!!!! :eek:

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Willie, Bar 55 occasionally has a good act these days. However, as of late, it has been really hit or miss.
Whenever Wayne Krantz plays there it's definately a big, BIG hit. I've seen him there twice with Kieth Carlock on drums and damn!!!! :eek:
Ben, we might have been there at the same night if you have been in the past two years. Small world.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd bump this baby back to the top of the heap. :)

Yesterday I took my daughter to her guitar lesson at one of our local music shops as I do every Friday afternoon. While she has her 30-min lesson I usually play a bass or two. Anyway, one of the bassist employees and I were shooting the breeze and he mentioned he'd just got a call to sub for a jazz gig at a local restaurant that night. I said maybe I'd drop by.

Well, I was leaning towards not going that evening, when I thought to myself, "Why not? It's either that or hit the hay." Called a drummer friend of mine and after the kids were in bed, I picked him up and we sat at the restaurant bar for an adult beverage (followed by another for him and a club soda for me, the driver) and listened to the gig.

It was fun, and very laid back. The bass player was solid, with great tone from his lovely Lakland 55-94 (cherryburst over quilt maple w/ maple 'board for those of you who appreciate the visual aesthetic) and a GK combo. I thought he did some particularly nice things on Chick Corea's/Return to Forever's "500 Miles High". We got to chat for a minute between sets; he was critical of his "A Night in Tunisia" solo. Such is life. He's a fine player, and clearly he was having fun. My drummer friend also got to sit in for one tune.

Of course, when I got home, I popped on the headphones and went with the inspiration to fish for a little while before finally going to bed. :thu:

So, just a little reminder and encouragement to support your fellow musicians when you've got that chance.

Peace.

--SW

off thread>

spreadluv

I'm probably heading out tonight to take a shot in the dark for some live music; Manhattan is usually pretty dead this weekend, so I figure I can sneak into Mercury Lounge or LUna Lounge and catch an act or two.

Is NYC more happening on weeknights, or is it because of Memorial Day?

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

I'm probably heading out tonight to take a shot in the dark for some live music; Manhattan is usually pretty dead this weekend, so I figure I can sneak into Mercury Lounge or LUna Lounge and catch an act or two.

Is NYC more happening on weeknights, or is it because of Memorial Day?
NYC is pretty dead on the weekends during the summer as far as the bar-crowds go. Everyone is either at the NJ Shore or the Hamptons.

Thursday night is a big night between Memorial Day and Labor Day in the city. Weekends are hit or miss.

Archived