Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The tubes in speakers

[img]http://www.trace-elliot.com/bass/images/loudspeakerse_06.jpg[/img] could anyone tell me what do the 4 tube/hole things do for sound quality? they seem to all trace-elliot speakers and their in my loudspeakers at home too. thanks
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those are tuned ports - they're supposed to enhance bass response by allowing certain frequencies from the rear of the speaker to "couple" (arrive in-phase, adding power) with ones eminating from the front. Port tuning is how they manage to get more bass response from smaller boxes. The reason you see them on Trace Elliot speakes so often is that they primarily make bass amps. :)

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Those holes are for storing illicit contraband. The cops will NEVER look in there.[/b][/quote]No! When we used to take the equipment truck over to Canada to play, the border guards would point us over to the 'reception area' and have us take the backs off the bass bins, mid cabs, you name it. (this was before electric screwdrivers) It was a drag because it used to delay us about 3 hours. They used to look where you keep the engine air filter! It always happened going into Canada, never on the way back. Good thing we were mostly alkies.
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote] Keeping pot in any kind of speaker enclosure is a bad idea! Low frequencies break down THC into a substance that grows breasts on men. [/quote]Arrgh!! and ive only just come out of surgery to remove the ones i was born with........
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Those tubes are typically referred to as ports. Ported systems (and also designs with passive radiators) are 4th order hi-pass systems. They use an acoustic resonator to increase system efficiency, reduce driver excursion and extend the low frequency response of a given speaker. There are some tradeoffs with ported designs (which may not be an issue and depends on the application) - because they use a high Q (typically around 7) acoustic resonator, they do have much worse transient response than the low Q (.707) sealed box design. You can also get a lot of noise out of the port due to turbulent airflow. Ported designs can have very impressive output on sine waves and other relatively steady state signals. However, if you put signals into a ported system, which are below the system cutoff frequency, the port no longer works as designed and the driver excursion is no longer constrained by the action of the port. This can cause the drivers to bottom out. Sealed box designs do not suffer from this problem. Placing pot in the ports will change the ports resonant frequency and may also result in pot flying around the room when playing at high-level.

Pascal Sijen

Co-Founer

www.abluesky.com

If you must stuff pot into the ports of your cabinets, then you really should invest in an electric lighter system for the inside of the cabs - that way, when the music starts, you just flip the switch & light the rear of the ports. The thumping of the bass will push great puffs of pot smoke out of the speakers & across the room, ensuring that everyone in the crowd gets the right vibe during your set. Added bonus - As the ports clear, your bass response will increase proportionally with your buzz. :D Just make sure to scrape out the ports after the gig, or else you will eventually clog the ports altogether, making you sound as if you're playing through a gnat's ass. :eek:

[quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]If you must stuff pot into the ports of your cabinets, then you really should invest in an electric lighter system for the inside of the cabs - that way, when the music starts, you just flip the switch & light the rear of the ports. The thumping of the bass will push great puffs of pot smoke out of the speakers & across the room, ensuring that everyone in the crowd gets the right vibe during your set. Added bonus - As the ports clear, your bass response will increase proportionally with your buzz. :D Just make sure to scrape out the ports after the gig, or else you will eventually clog the ports altogether, making you sound as if you're playing through a gnat's ass. :eek: [/b][/quote]Come on Bluesky, we need a decent monitoring system which includes an ABS (Active Bong System) which is computer controlled for surround smoking.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]How's this for a new product, Rog? Think it'll make it to NAMM this year? :D :D [img]http://franknputer.complexero.com/images/console.jpg[/img][/b][/quote]A Mackie? Sheesh ... I thought I'd get a Neve, I've heard they're much smoother :D
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]If you must stuff pot into the ports of your cabinets, then you really should invest in an electric lighter system for the inside of the cabs - that way, when the music starts, you just flip the switch & light the rear of the ports. The thumping of the bass will push great puffs of pot smoke out of the speakers & across the room, ensuring that everyone in the crowd gets the right vibe during your set. [/b][/quote]Waitaminute, I thought that gear stopped working after you let the smoke out? Every piece that I've seen smoking stopped working very soon after. For dawg's sake, don't let the smoke out of your speakers! -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived