Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Self analysis, the good,the bad and the...

Cup

The Good

- Im dedicated

- My ear is getting better and better (but needs some work to grasp the details)

- I love to play, so Ill play any genre or songs that a band would want me to

- I can sing backup without screwing up the bass line (not always, though) and with a little practice, Im sure I could do lead vocals as well, although my voice isnt that strong

- Id rather play three notes less, than one note too many

- I can keep time relatively well

- I can recognize chords by looking at the guitar players hand

- I can adapt to drummers fairly easy (because since Ive joined my current band, Ive played with more drummers than I have in all the other prior bands combined :) )

- I have learnt to be patient: if I cant get a song on the first few attempts, I wont get into a fit and let it ruin my day anymore

- Im willing to learn and improve

The Bad & Ugly

- I dont practice as much as I should

- Hearing someone who is good (but not necessarily better) discourages me and makes me feel like I dont know diddly on bass and should just give up

- I often end up playing the same sort of patterns rather than learn new ones

- I dont practice scales and the likes enough

- I only know much theory (mostly chord theory) so in a way its actually blocking my playing

- Cant do the fancy stuff (soloing, tapping I can slap a wee bit, but not much)

- Im mostly stuck in the classic rock / hard rock / some metal style, although I sometimes venture off in other directions

- Cant play jazz though

- As patient as I have learnt to be, sometimes it all gets to me, and I think about giving up about twice a month (never seriously, though :D )

All in all, I think I'm doing okay ... I get a lot of compliments with regard to my bass playing, but (and I think this is my best characteristic) I'm never satisfied with the level of experience & playing that I'm at, and I always want to improve.

Right now I'm at a point where I could just stop improving and still be able to play in most cover bands similar to the one I'm in now (Burnin' Leaf) but I don't want to stay on this level nor do I want to continue playing classic rock exclusively.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weak points:

I sometimes find it difficult to create space in a funky way without being obvious.

I'm a terrible slapper.

I get real cranky when I have to push or pull a drummer through a gig.

I'm a poor Jazz player. I don't know many standards and modal Jazz confuses me. Its like giving a monkey a typewriter.

I'm not good with drunk and/or pushy people.

I can be to serious and uptight when under pressure.

I'm a horrible sight reader.

I have the stage presence of a mic stand.

I have had bouts of stage fright, but It's never caused trouble aside from someone noticing that I can't moove my eyes from my feet, let alone moove my feet. Its happening less and less, though.

Strong points:

I'm always on time. Musically and otherwise. Always. Its my job.

I can be whatever is needed except the above exeptions. Heh.

I have good judgement when left to my own devices. I can play many styles.

I have good, reliable gear and I know how to use it. People seem to like my tone and I can change it a fair amount just by using the tone knobs on my bass and my hands.

I have a great ears. (boy what an ego :rolleyes: )

Improvising and soloing is not a problem (see above exeptions)

I learn quickly

I'll play damn near anything in whatever get up, anytime, anywhere. (I have no soul)

My musical tastes and knowledge of artists and songs reaches far beyond my years. I was born in '75.

I can play guitar and drums so its easier to relate to those instruments.

Archived