Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Self analysis, the good,the bad and the...

Cup

Hello, I'm interested in how you all view yourself as bass players and musicians? What's your best points, what's your worst? I'm asking on a very broad basis. Is there a part of your approach, technique, learning, that you think could be improved, couldn't be better?

Your answer should require a lot of ego, and a little humility.

Your answer should require a little ego and a lot of humility.

Hobbyists, amatuers, pro's...answer away!

Mine? Well, I possess a little bit of funk, a touch of melody and a lot of attitude.

My technique is at best sloppy and I fear I sometimes lack the taste a song requires. I also know no theory. Absolutely none!

Cheers.

Cup

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by CupMcMali:

...What's your best points, what's your worst? ...Is there a part of your approach, technique, learning, that you think could be improved, couldn't be better?

Your answer should require a lot of ego, and a little humility....

A lot of ego and a little humility? Should be no problem! :D:thu:

Strong points? I'm generally a "hear it once and play it" kind of guy. Comes in handy for last minute call gigs, or for studio work where the person who called me in doesn't have their crap together.

Bass is my instrument of choice, but I'm fairly comfortable on several others as well. That can be a plus or a minus, depending on the egos of the other players in the band.

I'm pretty strong on theory, hear vocal parts well, and seem to have a knack for arrangements too. Those three things have gotten me a lot more gigs than pure talent on my instrument for sure. I'm competent at what I do, but by no means a stellar instrumentalist or vocalist. I'm generally able to do what the situation requires....which can be a weak point if I'm not enamored with the music I'm playing. I can tend to get a bit complacent, just play in "the pocket", and not be creative in situations like that.

As far as things that could be better, I'm ALWAYS striving to become better. There isn't any aspect of my musicianship that couldn't be improved in one way or another.

Later..................

Good question Cup!

As a bassplayer:

:thu: Strong on playing the correct notes in the correct timing.

:( Weak on improvising.

:( Weak on tone, because I haven't developed any tone preferences yet. My tone may be great, or crappy, and sad to say... I don't even know! Everyone says it sounds fine, but you know how that is! I think they are just impressed that I am playing a bass in the first place!

As a (band) musician:

:thu: Very strong on dedication, reliability, teamwork and the ability to be diplomatic.

:( Weak on practicing (until a few days before the gig).

:( Weak on taking the initiative to learn more theory.

You know... if Santa reads this, I may get only a lump of coal in my stocking this year. :P

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

I think my greatest strength is that I try to come in prepared, & to put in what I think is needed to make the whole thing fly.

Weaknesses? Those are what I work on every day! So there are plenty. Actually, I find that I tend to put my playing under a microscope, which in some ways is good, but at the same time can rob you of the fun of playing, & keep your attention too focused on the finesse. It's a tough balancing act & I've not got it down yet.

I would say my strongest asset is my adaptability - after playing guitar for a couple of decades I was able to move to bass with very little difficulty, gigging within weeks of changing instruments. After that, my ability to not only count 1-2-3-4 (which some people still find extremely hard to do - don't even think about 7/8 timing...), but also to feel the natural flow of the music, which comes in handy when you have a vocal line to slaughter at the same time as having a bassline to play.

I was able to lock up with the drummer in a really short period of time, and we quite often end up with a "sharing a brain" situation on stage, where we pretty well know what the other is thinking of doing. This is a bonus.

I tend to be the only person in a band with a full time, shift work job, and yet in the last 20 years, I have only had to beg out of a gig once (and one other time missed a portion of a first set). So I would say another point in my favour would be dedication, and an endless struggle to remain available for gigs.

On the downside, I tend to stick to a much more traditional bass player role, with very little attempt at any slap/funk stylings. For some reason, I just can't be all thumbs when I need to be. I am not afraid of improvising here and there, but with only 3 instruments in the band, I tend to stay in my zone and not venture out too often.

And after all those years of buying and playing guitars, switching to bass only made my GAS worse. But is that a good thing or a bad thing?

the Grump

I mostly concentrate on my weak points of my bass playing more than admiring my strong points. Someone who posted earlier said that they are really critical of themselves and it takes the fun out of playing. I'm the same way when I'm by myself, however when I'm jamming with others I don't worry about my technique or whatever and have fun!!

Anyways I guess I should list what I think my strengths and weaknesses are.

Strengths:

1) Good left and right hand movement, my fingers are quite dexterous which definitely helps.

2) Good ear, I can usually pick up a song fairly quickly unless it's a song by Jaco or Les Claypool which in that case takes me a little longer

3) Good phrasing, timing. I guess I have a good idea of what to play and when to play it without overdoing it.

Weaknesses:

1) I don't know a lot of theory but I'm getting better

2) Bad practice habits. I'd rather play a song than play a lydian scale in two octaves and all twelve signatures

3) I don't know a lot about my gear and what it can or can't do

4) Can't play jazz, however I'll soon conquer that obstacle

Pros:

I learn songs quickly, especially with a chart

I can play fingers, pick or slap techniques fluently

I have a good understanding of theory

I can improvise

I can tell what chords the guitarists and keyboards are playing by looking at them if i cant hear them

I like to think I play tastefully and lock well with the drummer

Cons:

I forget songs quickly too :rolleyes:

I dont read staff very well

I can't play more complicated songs by ear

I rely too much on my brain and less on my ears so I can get lost on impromptu changes if i dont have a chart

I'm lazy :(

Some days I hesitate so the right notes sound wrong and some days I'm solid so my mistakes are nice and clear :P

Social Critic : :mad: Cant find Bass Tab for BOC's "Godzilla"
So you are saying you need to concentrate on EAR-TRAINING? Better watch out for those sheeple who do internet tab then - most of them have problems themselves. Don't get infected! ; }

I've played that one. During the verses (and intor) I basically cover the bass and a lot of the "riff" guitar, playing a fair amount of chords on main accents, and double-stop octaves too. The choruses seemed harder to hear the exact bass parts and they vary on his basic idea each reoccurence anyway. I like the good-natured slop feel he gets there... once you understand what the chorus parts are about it's pretty cool to play and sing.

Then I extend the bass solo which starts about the same but as I get further into this it has evolved into something a lot more involved. Then I extended the figure that leads out of the solo into an ensemble riff that repeats a few times, altered slightly so that it repeats well. This gives the drummer a chance to do some cool stuff. It was satisfying to play a trademark riff like this tightly with the guitarist : }

Interesting to go through this post right now, for me I'm just really getting into the meat of what the bass is all about. I'd say right now my good points are that I am understanding theory and patterns. There seems to be a sort of natural ability that transfers from my ears to my fretting fingers. Basslines are pumping through my brain as I go to sleep. The only negative thing that I will focus on at this point is that I don't practice enough.
Donnie Peterson

:) Play for the song

:) Can write songs

:)Good sense of melody

:) Like to keep things simple but interesting

:) Can sing and play

:(Can sing and play

:( Lacking on fancy shmancy "chops"

:( Poor at reading

:( Lacking any really cool hats

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I am prepared, I have what I need for the gig, I know the tunes. You don't need to worry much about me messing up the set.

I am quite good at playing note-for-note off a CD. What you heard on the recording is what I will give you.

Conversely, I am not good at making up my own parts. I don't think I could write an oiriginal song if you had a gun to my head.

While I can "get by" enough to please a bar crowd, I could use some work on becoming more proficient at all styles.

(longish)....

I am very hard on myself, sometimes to the point where I shoot the plane down before it ever gets to take off (speaking metaphorically).

I'm very passionate about the holistic ideals I hold about music, life, etc....and can't work with people who don't see the point.

I enjoy exploring new ideas, engaging in openmindedness to a point. But I've observed that too much openmindedness leaves one's brains susceptible to falling out and going splat, something we have no shortage of these days.

My will is not to be part of a non-shortage. I won't "moo" in agreement when people say "this" or "that" is great.

I don't expect anyone nor myself to be a computer or a karaoke machine.

I expect to hear a person's interpretation of a piece, not a carbon copy of a piece. I seek "understanding" not imitation.

I'm a thousand times happier when someone "feels and understands" the "meaning" of a piece and even feels comfortable enough to put their own twist on it, as opposed to someone who dispassionately and robotically memorizes a piece.

Out of what I do I expect perfection - there's simply no excuse I can emply for me saying I'll do something and be unable to do it right. I memorize very well and "pick up" very rapidly. I treat it all with discipline and tough love.

I get frustrated when others who want to work with me don't even try to meet these same expectations when I promise them to others - wankers.

It's taken me years of hard work, discipline and self correction to prove and improve myself, to be able to finally begin to admit what others have always said about me, that I'm a very good musician.

I happily and willingly invest time and sweat equity in people who are passionte and want to succeed by doing their best, not by following any dumb icon of "hipness" or some other form of mental effluent (ie: American Idol or "name-brand gear hounds". For all I care you could play a stick, a string and tin can, and if you're good, we'll take things up where they belong.)

I don't like my limited time and limited resources to be wasted.

I will spend time and sweat with the right people if it means they become the better musicians they want to be, and we can do good work to not only support ourselves but make things a little better. Spending time with someone who is a self-satisfied wannabe is just so useless.

In summary, be progressive but not even for it's own sake. Always seek to make things better and help others make things better for others while we're at it.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Originally posted by greenboy:

I enjoy quiet walks by the river at sunset with the girl or fishing pole of my choice.

Ahhhh, yes, as do I! :cool:

;)

But to answer the original question --

I think I'm a funky S.O.B. who grooves hard.

My technique is pretty good, but there are some specific things that could be better (e.g., my incorporation of muted notes into slap playing which can add to overall bad-assedness).

I read well enough to learn music from charts and standard notation, but not well-enough to sit down and sight-read something on the spot (e.g., for a session or fill-in gig).

I know some theory, but could really learn more. I could also benefit from working harder to apply the theory that I do know.

My ear is pretty good, and has saved my ass more than once, but it could be better.

Overall assessment? I'm a decent bass player with plenty of room for growth.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

:) : I keep time well with a pick

:( : not so well with fingers or slapping

:) : I can improvise well and tastefully (IMO)

:( : I know NOTHING about theory except for one scale (i think its the A major) and some basic stuff about octaves and some chords. This doesn't reallly matter to me though because Instead of taking years to memorize every scale known to man I can take five seconds to figure out what my guitarist is playing and work from there.

:) : I'm good at memorizing stuff

:( / :) :when playing songs written by other people I'm not overly fond of playing them note for note. This can be a blessing and a curse in ways that I'm sure most of you know about.

:) : I'm always willing to work out whatever the other members want in a songwriting situation and still manage to keep a little flavour in the mix.

That's all folks

Strong points:

I can play in time, even at 250 BPM +

I can construct strange basslines

I can play with a pick, fingerstyle, slap or tap.

Weak points:

Music Theory

Practising

sloppy playing

bad hearing (tinnitus)

did I mention practising?

The truth about myself is something I try to avoid but I'll see what I can do.

Strong points:

:D I play a cuople of hours a day so my chops are like reagu pasta sauce"they're in there"

:D I'm not an over player,I try to play what the song feels like

:D My tone is killer I have prof. equipment and good left hand technique(I play with thumb,2 fingers and a pick)

:D I have dedication to the project I'm currently wether I like it or not

I pick up neew stuff quick and have a versital style that lets play different types of music

My weaknesses:

:mad: My ears could use some tuning

:confused: I have a hard time learning from a tape or cd

:bor: I have all the text to learn theory but rarely study it and know very little

:cry: the one technique I have the hardest time with is slap I'm not very creative when it comes to that

while I can play any funk line I've ever herd I have a hard time making feel as funky as the original

I hope my ego to humility ratio was correct I don't want to come off to pompus,I'm much better at talking about how good or bad someone else is.

i grew up watching TV and i turned out TV

I didn't play any kind of music until I was 40 so I'm just happy to be in the band. As a late bloomer I realize that there are things I'll probably never do well, especially slap and funk, but I don't let that bother me. The other five band members are long time players and could easily find a better bass player than me, so I must be doing something right. Nobody has more fun than me playing with a band. My ear slowly but steadily improves. A sound man once complimented me on my restraint not knowing that I was using everything I had (both notes) so I lectured him about young hot shots with no taste and he left thinking I was a long time pro. hehe

:) I posses a little bit of everything, i can play jazz, rock a little funk. I can play finger style, picked and a little slap and tapping.

:mad: Im a horrible reader

;) I can Improv pretty well

:P Im a gear head (this could go either way)

:rolleyes: I know a little bit of theory, and I still am learning more

We distort. You abide.

I can't read well but with a chart I can play anything.

I'm not a great improviser but I know how to phrase things to make them sound like I'm not playing the same thing over and over.

I know some theory but can't really apply it well, especially on the fly.

I play guitar, bass, and drums, but my piano skills are suffering due to lack of practice and use.

I am a good writer, arranger, and producer but my lyrical skills are hindered by a perminate case of writers block (and spelling).

I can play all styles and genres of music but need a few hours or sets to really get me into the state of mind for that particular....thing.

I have the shiznit when it comes to bass rig and tone control (SWR, QSC, and Epifani) drool baby, drool.

I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

:cool: My ears are great. I can learn a tune from a recording very quickly. I can fake tunes well if there's a harmonic instrument playing the changes. I've spent a lot of time transcribing and studying the basslines of great bassists in a large variety of different styles...and I have a long way to go still.

I've studied theory and harmony. I know the difference between major, minor, diminished and augmented chords. I can improvise over changes. I understand the power of reharmonization that the bass has and use it to good effect (tastefully and very occasionally).

I know how to play a large variety of styles. Reggae, rock, funk, metal, swing, blues, jump blues, latin, merengue, rhumba, jazz, etc. I know what a groove means in a particular style because I've practiced it.

I'm creative and tasteful. I know how to let myself go in the studio to come up with a part that compliments a tune nicely. I've learned to keep this part of my playing in a part of my mind that I don't remain too conscious of. I just "play what sounds good."

My time is good. I've spent a lot of time practicing walking basslines with a metronome clicking on 2 and 4, 1 and 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I've sat next to the stereo clapping my hands to the beat during wild polyrhythmic "hit every beat except the 1" Tony Williams solos to make sure that my internal time is good. I've also spent a lot of time playing with great drummers who won't wait around for a bassist with bad time. I also know the difference between being on top of the beat and laying back. I know how to sit right in the pocket and make drummers smile. I also know how to keep a "rushin' and draggin'" drummer under control (as long as they listen).

My technique is solid. I've studied with great double bassists who improved my technique on both instruments tremendously. I know how to play without hurting myself and using economy of motion. My intonation on fretless and double bass is good (although it can always be better).

I've got my sound together. I sound like myself no matter what brand of instrument I play.

I've got a level enough head to take a hard, critical look at my playing.

:( My sight reading is bad. I've learned to be very good at reading chord charts, but the prospect of sight-reading actual notes on a gig causes my heart to drop into my stomach. I've been practicing it at home, but I have yet to get myself into a low-pressure sight-reading situation with other people, and I have no excuse for it. :rolleyes:

My piano knowledge is horrible. I recently bought Mark Levine's "The Jazz Piano Book" and am confronting my keyboard confusion head on, wide-eyed.

While I'm confident in my abilities, I'm skittish about putting myself in situations where I could really embarass myself. Jam sessions where all the players onstage are serious heavyweights intimidate me, although I've been able to push myself past my inhibitions as of late, with mixed results.

My ability to play straightahead jazz is not great. I can play it well enough to do a cocktail hour at a wedding playing standards like "Solar" "On Green Dolphin Street," "Take Five," etc...but you wouldn't want to hear me play in a big band.

At times, I am a great bass player. At times, I really suck.

Things I am usually great at:

Music Theory

Scales and Patterns - I know hundreds.

I can come up with any bass line with chords thrown at me.

Keeping time.

Things that change daily:

Intonation- really this does depend on the day, sometimes great sometimes yucky.

Soloing- besides the trap player, the bass does not have the bass to guide the changes so when I am doing a melodic solo, sometimes it really sucks. But this also has something to do with my stage fright that developed over the last few years. i don't recall having nearly this much difficulty soloing in high school when my insecurity should have been at its zenith.

Things I suck at all the time:

The slap sound-I think this is because I have really long fingers and shortest, gimpiest thumbs on the planet. I never sound good.

Sight reading- I'll play the right note but rarely the right rhythm. This has something to do with my

CONCENTRATION- I totally admit that one minute I am counting and then all of the sudden, I am thinking about something unrelated.

What can I say, there is room for improvement for us all.

Hansen

Edit: I almost forgot- I know absolutely nothing about equipment and related things. Actually I played my MM5 for the first year without a battery. Yes, I am a loser.

"What's it going to be then, eh?"

The good

Sight reading.

Grooving.

Dynamic contrast.

Time.

The bad

Playing a simple melodic solo over complex changes - instead I will always opt for the "impressive" flurry notes. This is in no way a substitute for one good idea.

Need to learn more rock tunes.

Need to earn more, gig less. Better to perform well on 6 gigs in a week than to sweat through 12 gigs in a week.

More ear training.

Playing with a pick.

good

I stay in time, turn up ontime, leave lots of sonic space, can control dynamics

bad

I only leave space 'cause I can't fill it, need to hear a band to play (just did some recording and got very confused), can't remember anything

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

i am long on groove. i've been called lint because i'm always in the pocket.

i cannot read. i mean cannot. if my reading of words was as bad of my reading of music i would have been poisoned long ago.

my ear sucks. i couldn't tell you what chord you were playing unless you told me.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived