Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CubaseSX...anyone using it yet? Pros/cons...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's very much like Nuendo. I have a copy but have not installed XP yet, and SX won't work on 98SE. It's only a matter of days now before I get it booted and happening. I'm curious too what people think.

What about CubaseSX on W2K? I did a little "snooping" over on the Cubase user forums, and it appears that there were a few bugs/problems with the initaial release...but Steinberg has already issued an update (1.01) to address some of the problems...eh..just the usual first-release growing pains. I think a lot of the current Cubase x.x users are just not familiar with it because it is SO different than the previous Cubase versions. Many Cubase users probably expected it to be more like an upgrade, but it appears to be all new. Me...I still have my original Atari Cubase version...so I probably won't have any preconcieved notions about SX. I just ordered a copy of Sonar2 also...$99 only (cuz I'm a Cubase user)...and the Cubase SX for me would be a $300 "upgrade" from my Atari version...not bad, for $400 total...I can have Sonar2...AND Cubase SX!!! Give us the unbiased "Anderton" review of SX as soon as you have it flying!!!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

It does work on W2K or XP. For the Mac, only on OS X. What appeals to me is the configurable mixer, additional of ReCycle-type stretching, and the plethora of included effects and such. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Sonar.

[quote]Originally posted by miroslav: [b]I just ordered a copy of Sonar2 also...$99 only (cuz I'm a Cubase user)[/b][/quote]Miroslav -- How/where did you do that? I looked on the Cakewalk site and I didn't see a competitive Cubase -> Sonar 2 upgrade. I'm a Cubase (3.7r2) user, but I'd be willing to give another program a chance... For $99 I might be interested in checking out Sonar 2.

You're kidding right... :D Just look at the left hand column...it's right there: "Cubase users click here" [url=http://www.cakewalk.com/]Cakewalk[/url] or Here it is direct: [url=http://www.cakewalk.com/getSONAR/index2.html]Cubase to Sonar[/url] You have until July 15th I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
It only takes a second to look up topics over at Cubase.net and see a lot of grumbling and moaning on SX. It'll take a few months for Steinberg to iron out the bugs, by then, Nuendo2 should be out. :D Then there's the issue of W2K/XP only support. Not for me... Nuendo running in my W98SE PC has been flawless. Coupled with Cubase VST32/5.1 for midi, I have basically the same functionality that SX has to offer, and more stable. it's best to wait it out. "why fix something if it ain't broken" my 2 cents...

I've heard some rumours about Nuendo 2. It depends on what you want to use a DAW for but Nuendo looks to be the way to go.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Wow, finally found something that Rog likes. I think Nuendo does have some pro features, so now they go and shoot themselves in the foot by putting out a unbelievably cheaper version( Cubase SX) Doesn't look like a smart move to me. I guess you've got to go where the money is, but my conversations with you(Rog) have made it clear that there are two very seperate markets. Pros and home studios. How does you bridge that gap? This is a subject for future discussion.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Wow, finally found something that Rog likes. I think Nuendo does have some pro features, so now they go and shoot themselves in the foot by putting out a unbelievably cheaper version( Cubase SX) Doesn't look like a smart move to me. I guess you've got to go where the money is, but my conversations with you(Rog) have made it clear that there are two very seperate markets. Pros and home studios. How does you bridge that gap? This is a subject for future discussion.[/b][/quote]Steinberg have made it clear that SX is for composition and Nuendo is aimed at post (whatever that means!) There were a lot of pissed off Nuendo people around when SX was released (myself included) but I'm going to wait and see what Nuendo 2 offers. The two programs may be very similar right now but I'm betting that will change soon. The developers have hinted at some amazing things in store for Nuendo users so I'll take their word for it until I see otherwise. Yep, I like Nuendo. I'm looking forward to using it with a Radar setup :) It's way better than Minidisc ;)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by DeafMix: Then there's the issue of W2K/XP only support. Not for me... Nuendo running in my W98SE PC has been flawless.[/quote]Yeah....but Win98SE has it's own problems/issues. It's old. It has limits on RAM...I believe. It does not support dual processors...I believe. And there might soon be audio hardware driver issues…because Win2K and XP are different than Win98…so how long are manufacturers going to keep up the Win98 hardware support…? So...it's a bit contradictory to anticipate the latest software release...but then want to run it on a OS that is becoming very outdated and unsupported. I think that just paints you into a corner. I've read some of the "grumbling and moaning over SX" also...but it's the same with ANY brand new software release on ANY platform. You have to look at the future, and just ride it out during the “growing pains”. Not a real big deal...they are committed to the software and will iron it out. I think being involved with that process makes you a better "power user" in the long run. Yeah...it would be nice if everything ran "smooth as silk" right-out-of-the-box...but that's just a dream. Anyway...I'm still looking at both Nuendo and SX...though I think for the price, SX will make Nuendo a harder choice because it does almost the same thing…AND has better MIDI options. There ARE a few nice features that are specific to Nuendo...but you really gotta' need them...otherwise SX seems to cover it all…at less then half the price, it's just a $300 upgrade for me to go to SX. Anyone know if SX will record at 88.2kHz or did they omit that just like Calkewalk developers did in Sonar? Sonar does 11, 22, 44, 48….and 96, but no 88.2…kinda' dumb and weird that they skipped over that sampling rate…???

From what I've read, there are some problems with it..not anything major though. I've also read that you will need to go dual processor because of the power needed for the host app alone. I'm waiting a few more months in building a computer system and allow for an update.

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]What's blowing everyone away is the humongous PRICE difference between NUENDO and CUBASE SX. Were they hoping no one would notice? Looks like a major marketing error to me.[/b][/quote]You're right. I wish they would go the Emagic route and offer a basic Nuendo/SX and then progressively more expensive ones with more features. Maybe they could go modular - you want audio? that costs X, MIDI costs more as does video, scoring, surround, etc.

Archived