Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mic buying binge...someone please stop me before my fiance finds out!

So, I've already bored you all with my recent C451B saga. Sorry 'bout that. Luckily for you, there were several other stories that I didn't deem interesting enough to bother y'all with...most involving ebay and the outlay of cash by me for microphones I'll probably never use. :) But, here's a deal I thought some of you might want in on... I just ordered a Studio Projects C1 from East Coast Music Mall. They've got a deal goin' where if you buy one for $229 (basically the same price I see everywhere +/- a few bucks) they'll ship it for free, throw in a B.L.U.E. mic cable, and sell you a RNC for $159 (that's the best price I've seen for one ever). So I did it. Can anyone help me with my problem? I gots no $$$ but I can't stop buying stuff... HELP!!!
None more black.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say go for it ,while she's still your finacee, cause when she's your wife, That's gonna stop. :cry:
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

I'm just kiddin. Actually I think my wife is out right now getting me something for father's day. :thu:
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

[quote]Originally posted by jgc2002: [b]I say go for it ,while she's still your finacee, cause when she's your wife, That's gonna stop. :cry: [/b][/quote]Ya know, I think that might really be part of the problem. I was engaged once before and I did the same exact thing...spend, spend, spend for like three months straight. Luckily for me, it ended up not working out, but it took me a year to pay off the credit cards. I've been SO brainwashed into thinking my financial independence will be gone the instant I return from the honeymoon...I've just gotta buy it all NOW!!! Happy Father's Day, BTW! :)
None more black.

I have experienced financial independence.....All my money has been freed from my tyranical hands...LOL ..Just kiddin again.And thanks for the HFD. :wave:

Hmmm. Is something going down that I don't know about? Someone else gave a tip on a PAIR of Oktava MC012 mics for $199 at MF. Click [url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020613181606206184017253779184/search/g=home/detail/base_id/81864]here[/url] . Are music manufacturers hurting for business or something? I would've jumped at the C1 deal because I was planning on buying another one to use as drum OHs but I think the MC012s are better for that so I got them instead at MF.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

No man!it's just gear lust.It's a sickness,like gambling.I've been married for ten years,and now I know how to do it without getting busted. Read,and learn: The very first thing you want to do is; Open up a new account(one your fiance cannot access via computer or mailed statements.Never ever use your Visa card or Paypal. In order to put money in this account use any money you recieve from recording,odd jobs,or my favorite;When you do any shopping using your bank card connected to joint accounts,always ask for extra cash.Deposit your mic money in your secret account.When shipping your ebay purchases,have them sent to a good and trusted friends address. Secrets always have a way of getting out ,sometimes they are not worth the grey hair and worry the cause.Just recently I purchased an EV V-2A velocity microphone on ebay,When it arrived I tested it immediately on my VC1,to see if it worked.It did,but it sounded like crap.Word to wise,Don't buy V2A mikes built at the Buchanon Mich.factory ,they are not ribbon mics,they have a shitty little moving coil diaphram.This is original.This must be one of EVs dirty little secrets. A.F.

[quote]Open up a new account(one your fiance cannot access via computer or mailed statements.Never ever use your Visa card or Paypal. In order to put money in this account use any money you recieve from recording,odd jobs,or my favorite;When you do any shopping using your bank card connected to joint accounts,always ask for extra cash.Deposit your mic money in your secret account. [/quote]Pure Genious!!! :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by riffing: [b]Hmmm. Is something going down that I don't know about? Someone else gave a tip on a PAIR of Oktava MC012 mics for $199 at MF. Click [url=http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020613181606206184017253779184/search/g=home/detail/base_id/81864]here[/url] . Are music manufacturers hurting for business or something? I would've jumped at the C1 deal because I was planning on buying another one to use as drum OHs but I think the MC012s are better for that so I got them instead at MF.[/b][/quote]Funny, I was looking hard at the MC012s when I stumbled onto my "new" AKGs. Must...fight...urge...to...click...on...link!
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by audiofreek: [b]My names ***** and i'm am Ebay aholic.[/b][/quote]Yeah! And I bet you're the one who keeps outbidding me on those Crown CM700s too! :mad:
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by audiofreek: [b]I wasn't,but I may be now. No,right now I'm on a ribbon binge,I've just cleared a M.O. for an old RCA Varicoustic.It will be very interesting to hear what it sounds like,if it even works. A.F.[/b][/quote]The CM700s are supposed to be very nice-sounding but I now officially have "enough" small-diaphragm condensors. I don't own any ribbons yet so I might actually be stepping on YOUR toes soon. ;) I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the ribbon side of things...
None more black.

Well, I have a PayPal card. When I sell crap, er, good, unused stuff, on eBay I request payment via PayPal & leave it there for my musical binges. Another thing I do is, keep my gig monies in one of my guitar cases & use that. Wifey never sees it, & I don't tell. Once in a while though, I throw a little of my gig money to the family pot.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I probably should just save up for a Royer 121 or 123,but the reasonI've got such a hard-on for ribbons is a comment that,I beleive,was made by Klause.He was stating,why it costs so much to build a good condenser mic,tube or otherwise,and that how so many of todays manufacturers use transformerless circutry,and negative feedback to acheive good specs,but sacrafice good sound qaulity.Then another comment was made recently about how the coles/STC 4038 is a lower cost way of achieving an expensive,deep,and smooth u47 type of sound.The ribbon mic employs very little in the way of electronics(the new Royer aside).Basicaly a ribbon,a transformer,and a magnet.In some cases,an acoustic baffle system to manipulate the polar response.As well the ribbon hears a sound sourse in a different manner than a condenser or dynamic mic.The Ribbon microphone works on velocity,with a natural figure of 8 pattern,similar in nature to the way human hearing works,kind of like the affect air movement might have on a vertical blind.As were the dynamic and condenser are responsive to sound pressure.This gives the well designed ribbon mic a more realistic quality.The ribbon mics transient response is said to be some were in between a dynamic element and a condenser element.This accurate,but smooth tracking of transients is said to help tame down alot of the harshness associated with digital recording of cymbals,which is why ribbons are becoming popular for drum O.H.s as well as vocals,guitars etc.A good RCA 77DX,or Coles 4038 is running for around $1,300.00,while an 44s are running around $2,000 for a refurbished unit.A company recently released a reproduction of the RCA 44 for a retail of $3,000.00.This is why I'm sraping the bottom trying to find a bargain.I've got the Varicoustic coming,then maybe a a 74(baby 44). I'll keep my eyes open for a 77 or 44,but it will be a while before I can afford one,so if your looking,just ask me.Chances are I'll have the ribbon mic scoop on ebay and beyond.

i got back my B&O BM5 [like the royer sf12] from sank who did the 44bx NOS ribbon mod to it. so i got that and a royer r121 which i absolutely abuse. i need to order some backup ribbons for the r121. i got the r121 for $700 and the BM5 for $300. i got a pair of cm700's for $99. they sound really cool on guitar cabinets, especially mixed with the r121. overheads... nah. i am itching to put them on the snare. the octava mc012's are decent. im getting out of using sd condensors anymore. i prefer ribbons mostly these days with ld condensors, and dynamics.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by rog951: [b] financial independence will be gone the instant I return from the honeymoon...I've just gotta buy it all NOW!!! [/b][/quote]Irony will come in the form of the judge pronouncing you guilty(divorce) through an SM58! :confused:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

OK so it wasn't a Royer,but my wife got me a SM57 for my birthday a couple of years back,thats what I call doin your reserch,damn handy piece of gear to have lying round.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote]Originally posted by rog951: [b]I just ordered a Studio Projects C1 from East Coast Music Mall. They've got a deal goin' where if you buy one for $229 (basically the same price I see everywhere +/- a few bucks) they'll ship it for free, throw in a B.L.U.E. mic cable, and sell you a RNC for $159 (that's the best price I've seen for one ever). So I did it. [/b][/quote]I've got a Chinese 1 and a RNC and I think you'll be pleased with both of them (wish I'd got that deal!) My friend says his BLUE mic cable made an audible difference over regular cables so that sounds cool too.

Cool info on the ribbons, guys. I'm trying to understand exactly how they work though. The ribbon itself is the front end of the transducer I guess...I mean, it's mounted in the airstream and moves with differences in pressure. It must be made of something electrically conductive, right? So, exactly how does the signal end up on the wire? Hmmmmm.
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln@hotmail.com: [b]Irony will come in the form of the judge pronouncing you guilty(divorce) through an SM58! :confused: [/b][/quote]NEVER! She was made for me and I will always OWN her!!! :evil:
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by markvincent: [b]OK so it wasn't a Royer,but my wife got me a SM57 for my birthday a couple of years back,thats what I call doin your reserch,damn handy piece of gear to have lying round.[/b][/quote]Yup. No matter how many expensive, esoteric mics you end up owning in your life, you will still occasionally go for the '57s. Cool gift!!!
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by DC: [b]I've got a Chinese 1 and a RNC and I think you'll be pleased with both of them (wish I'd got that deal!) My friend says his BLUE mic cable made an audible difference over regular cables so that sounds cool too.[/b][/quote]Now THAT'S what I like to hear!!! Much better than the usual "you spent HOW much for WHAT?!?!" :) Actually, I'm quite familiar with both the mic and the comp through some friends of mine and, well, let's just say that they need their stuff back! :D I've got an AKG C-414 already and was gonna get one of the lower-end Neumanns as a kinda "counter" to the AKG. If one mic wouldn't work quite right, chances are the other probably would. Well, I hate to say this but I found that the C1 has enough of that "Neumann-esque" quality (or maybe it'd be better to say an anti-414 quality) that I think I can get by with it until I save up the pennies. It's a fine mic and for around $200, I just can't believe it. Now, as I sit and wait for it to arrive, I'm worrying that mine won't sound as good as my buddy's. But I have heard that their QC is a cut above most of their Chinese competition. FINGERS CROSSED!!! Good to hear about the mic cable too...it'll be replacing one of my old, chewed-up ones. I'm going to FORCE myself to toss a cable; something I haven't done in probably 10 years...
None more black.

[quote]Originally posted by Ultravibe: [b]A simple request: Nobody bid on any Sennheiser 421s on Ebay until I can win one. Thanks.[/b][/quote]If only it was that easy, Drew. ;) I know how you feel. I kept losing bids on a Mackie 1402 vlz pro and finally went with a Buy It Now option that was in my price range. Good luck! P.S. I'm not on the market for 421s so I won't be in your way. :)

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived