Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Set Up Question

57pbass

How do you maintain / set up your instrument

Can you share some pointers on setting up the bass and adjusting the string height on a bass neck.

I have been setting up my basses for some time to my liking but am interested in hearing other players method and tips.

Thanks.

I usually get a professional set up at Sadowsky Guitars on all my basses to have a standard established.

When adjusting my basses I mainly give the truss rod a slight twist to get the preferred string height and remove unwanted buzzing..

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first set the truss-rod so my neck is slightly concave (I don't know, maybe an 1/8" from end to middle), then I adjust the string height so I have only minimal to no fret noise (which is a problem on my '73 because all the screws are corroded in place; fortunately there is a guitar show this Sunday only 5 miles from my home!). I keep the pickup low enough so my pick/fingers don't hit it and make noise.

I like the bow of my neck, and string height "deep" enough so I can really dig in when necessary.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I set my necks as flat as they'll go without backbow or buzz. Then adjust the saddles. I used to play exclusively with my fingers with a light touch so my necks were all arrow straight. Now I play a bit harder with 50/50 fingers and picks so there is a little arc now. My fretless seems to work best with a bit of backbow. The action is dead low on that one. Just enough clearence for vibrations. My bridge pickup is always just a tad higher than the neck pickup because thats what I like to hear when I mix 'em. On my PJ I usually just use the p, though. My Dano is set high with flats because it sounds best that way and its easy to press cause of the short scale. If I'm using that one,chances of playing fast licks are very slim,anyway.
Hello.

I bow mine out a bit as well. Then raise or lower the action, same fare as everyone else ^_^. When I tune, I tune from the 12th and open frets, gives me an idea on how far off intonation is at the moment (whether I bother to fix it is another issue :P ).

o Spector Spectorcore 5 fretless

o Ibanez GSR200

o Peavey Basic112

Archived