Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How much should I budget to plug my album on radio?

I am spending $10,000-15,000 recording my album. When it is finished, I wont be able to get it played on radio since the radio station I'm interested in is not interested in playing my songs. how much should I plan to spend to get on the playlist, and what should I expect?. What kind of airtime will draw attention to my song( the songs are very catchy). Not only that, but how do I approach the station about this. I think its illegal, but I know that its being done everyday. Finally, if I do get the airplay, are there any tricks or tips to turn this into album sales?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to approach some professional pluggers for advice and see if they will take your money. You'll never do it on your own.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Hit the street and market to your target audience. Run regular ads in your local paper and music publications. Like Talcott said, play live as much as you can. Regarding radio, get people to call and request your song. A lot of people have to call regulary over a long period of time. Then [B]IF{/B] it ever gets played, have even more people ready to call constantly. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Clock, The economics work against artists and indepedents trying to get music on the radio. Like everyone else has said, take it to the streets yourself. Instead of spending another 3 or 4 hours trying to get the perfect mix on a single track, earmark 10-15% of your budget as a start for marketing and advertising. Create a buzz about you and your music, or better yet, hire someone else to do it. Book some gigs, hit the live performance circuit and sell the CD direct to your market. If you are set on getting music on air, target college radio, PERIOD. It's a captive audience that is more open to new music. If they like it, they will buy it, come to your shows and then start looking for in mainstream.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

In the early days, the Police would create a bunch of letters and postcards in different handwriting styles and names from the phone book, ranting and raving about this "great new band" they'd just seen, and mail them from the cities and towns they'd just played in. Something in my gut tells me that was a Stewart Copeland idea....helps redefine "shameless self-promotion", eh?
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

If your songs are less than a minute long you could do what the Residents did and buy commercial time. Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Clock, Check out [url=http://www.cdbaby.net/]CD Baby.[/url] Go to the Musicians Corner a click on Tips and Articles. Looks like good stuff.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived