Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Switchfoot

frontlinebass

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the 5 minutes I spent skipping through the cd: it sounded like the thousands of other boring rock bands out there. No amazing guitar, bass, beats, vocals, nada. Another mediocre effort to avoid IMO.

o Spector Spectorcore 5 fretless

o Ibanez GSR200

o Peavey Basic112

Switchfoot has been one of my favorite bands since their first album in '97. Out of their four albums, I think their newest one (the one that's getting all the attention) is one of their weakest. "New Way To Be Human" is probably my favorite album of theirs.

Switchfoot does tight, perfect pop-rock. Their playing is solid, but the songwriting is stellar. One of the few bands whose albums I can listen to all the way through without skipping at least one or two tracks. I'm a Christian, but I'd be listening to these guys even if I weren't. Actually, I find the majority of "Christian music" to be trite and insulting to my intelligence, but Switchfoot does not fall into that category.

N-E-way, check 'em out. They deserve to be heard.

All your bass are belong to us!

Originally posted by CaptainSaveAHo:

From the 5 minutes I spent skipping through the cd: it sounded like the thousands of other boring rock bands out there. No amazing guitar, bass, beats, vocals, nada. Another mediocre effort to avoid IMO.

I agree, a girl that I work with always brings their cd in for us to listen to, and after about ten minutes i'm bored to tears... and eventually suggest listening to something else.

on the topic of christian music you might want to check out a few aussie CD's "the gospel according to groove" and any thing by the jive express...first CD is a jazz CD with hymns done jazz style and the jive express are very Jimeriqai (sorry about the spelling).
A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

I heard on a recent interview that switchfoot is 4 guys in a band that a christians and not a christian band. They also said that of course their spirituality comes through in the songs but that they are ment of all to listen to not just the chirstians. I find that if a band is labled chistian it is a major hinderance to them because immediately alot of people who aren't wont listen. Just thought I'd drop that in the mix.

Originally posted by frontlinebass:

I heard on a recent interview that switchfoot is 4 guys in a band that a christians and not a christian band. They also said that of course their spirituality comes through in the songs but that they are ment of all to listen to not just the chirstians. I find that if a band is labled chistian it is a major hinderance to them because immediately alot of people who aren't wont listen. Just thought I'd drop that in the mix.

Very much the same as P.O.D., am surprised to hear songs from other bands on christian radio playlists from time to time such as Lifehouse's "Breathing".
Donnie Peterson

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by frontlinebass:

That is so true. I am a Christian and played in a band with all Christians for the past three years. Just because of that, many people would turn us down for shows, because they assumed that we would be incapable of rocking out or playing a wicked show because of our beliefs and christian lable.

On another note, this last albulm is good in my opinion, but definitely not their best. The prize for that would have to go to Learning to Breath. Much better.

Archived