Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gallien Krueger Amps

pnkranger

Another thread about combos got me thinking...who out there owns a GK combo amp? I've got the 400 RB/210 combo. Just bought it recently, so I haven't really gotten much into the sound...so, a question:

Playing a standard p-bass through it BTW.

* How do you guys set yours up? I've had a little trouble with TOO much distortion using the boost knob. Also...the boost adds noise but not volume. Does this make sense?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I never take the gain level past 12 o'clock.

Boost sits around 1-2 o'clock. and master volume is around noon as well. I don't believe I've ever pushed the gain and/or volume knobs past 2 o'clock. Past that, you're not getting much of a volume increase anyway.

...simply stating.

Depends on the bass.

With the G&L's extensive preamp, I can set the EQ flat and leave the contour & presence at or near 0, then tune at the bass...

With the Rickenbacker, I have to boost lows a bit and drop out some mids.. highs=12 o'clock, high-mid=11 o'clock, low-mid= 10 o'clock, lows=between 1-3 o'clock (depending on boost level)

I normally don't use much contour or presence. I like 'em set low. I run through Ampeg cabinets and those knobs tend to scoop my mids more than I care for... occaisionally I'll dial some in to try it out, but never more than 12 o'clock. Just my personal taste.

-Mike

...simply stating.

I have a G-K 700RB112 combo; my main bass is a 5-string Washburn XB925. The amp is basically the 700RB amp with a 12" woofer and a horn. I run my amp in bi-amp mode (225W to the woofer, 50W to the horn), with the horn master volume set at 12 o'clock (halfway up) and the woofer master volume set at 3 o'clock (almost all the way up). I keep the boost at 12 o'clock, I always use the input pad (-10 dB) and I use the input volume (AKA preamp volume or gain) to control the total volume. I never need to turn the input volume past 12 o'clock.

For tone, I set the contour and presence controls at 1-2 o'clock; I always use the 5-string bass "voicing filter" and the "tweeter high cut filter". I typically set the the bass at 12-2 o'clock, the low mids at 3 o'clock, the high mids at 9 o'clock (almost off) and the treble at 12-1 o'clock. I find that the low mid adds the most punch. Cutting the high mids reduces string squeek for me, but if I get a lot of treble hiss, I sometimes boost the high mids and cut the treble. I almost always run the EQ on my Washburn bass flat, but with the active electronics on and the two pickups blended dead center.

I have the GK MBE, and I leave all EQ flat.

I use the contour about 3 oclock and bass and treble boost about 12-1 oclock. I use the "GK" switch in the GK position (much more bright.)

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived