Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP!!!! ... Audition

penny

Hey guys! I'm freakin' out over here, so I was hoping you might have some nerve calming advice, or at the very least some cotton candy :D . I found a couple of bands in the area who are looking for a bass player, and in answering I have been trying to be as honest as possible without being self-detrimental (i.e. explaining that I stopped playing for 10yrs, and only just started back up again, and have been generally describing myself as "playdoh" - ready and willing to be molded). So, I have an audition this thursday, and I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I have never auditioned before, let alone played with others.

... Advice???

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by penny:

... Advice???

If they're a cover band, learn some of the tunes before you go. If they're original, would it be possible to ask for a demo or listen to MP3s online? Perhaps you could also ask the band if there are any particular tunes you should learn for the audition.

Other than that, just be ready to lay down the groove and lock in with the drummer (even if you don't know the tune). Oh, and have fun!

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Hi Penny, Welcome to the Lowdown. Well, I'd say just relax, be yourself, and do your best. Everything else is gravy.

Instead of cotton candy would you accept a bunny with a bass on it's head?

http://pep.us/images/BUNNY%20BASS.jpg

:D:D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by Ouizel:

Hi Penny, Welcome to the Lowdown. Well, I'd say just relax, be yourself, and do your best. Everything else is gravy.

Instead of cotton candy would you accept a bunny with a bass on it's head?

http://pep.us/images/BUNNY%20BASS.jpg

:D:D

:D

The thread that Scootdiggitydogg linked is a good one for you to read through. Plenty of good advice in there about how to handle auditions. Don't sweat it if you don't get the first gig you try out for. Get back on the horse and try again.

Penny, being the one that posted the thread that everyone is referring you to, i gotta say, read it and follow the advice given. I was given my first chance to audition and was scared crapless!! I did'nt know if i could keep time with a drummer or how i was going to sound with others playing around me. My first instinct was to go in and try to impress them. Well, i decided to post a thread the day before my audition and see what the experts had to say. I went to my auditon very nervous but yet confident, i kept the basslines very simple providing only what was needed to lay down a solid groove, the timing thing with the drummer just felt awesome. After 5 songs with them i was offered the gig. Let it be known that out of the five songs i only knew two of them,the others i just got in the groove as they played. I have only been playing a year but in the past few weeks i have grown considerably. So be confident, stay simple, keep your time, and you'll do fine!!! :wave:
Set the pace.......add more Bass!!

Sounds like you're only lacking confidence.

It's a very common issue - I think everyone goes through their own struggle. Otherwise they wouldn't be human.

Here's a few tips I've learned from others as well as myself.

Don't worry too much - just worry a little bit to keep you on edge.

Get adequate sleep, don't ever drink any beer or booze before the audition. It may calm your jitters but it will also form an unhealthy and expensive habit you can do without.

Unless you're alergic, take an Aspirin an hour before you perform. It's healthy and helps keep the blood flowing. It also helps ward off any possible headaches due to worry or tension.

At least 3 or 4 hours beforehand, unless you're Diabetic don't eat any food before an audition or gig. Especially do not eat anything sweet or chocolate - that form of energy just drains you because it dissipates too fast.

See, when you eat, blood is drawn into your digestive system to process the food, making you lethargic. When you're playing you'll need all of the blood to go into your head to help you stay sharp and focused.

Keep hydrated. No sugary stuff, just lots of water over a couple hours time span.

And remember, they don't know you from Adam or Eve.

Play your best, let the mistakes fall where they may. Don't draw attention to your mistakes and nobody will likely notice them.

Another "trick" - if you make a mistake, if it's not too serious and you want to "cover it up", make it part of the song by repeating it deliberately as if it were some bit of improv on your part. The illusion of continuity make it work every time.

Confidence will come the more you persist. The HARDEST part is to not cease in persisting, in spite of how nervous you feel.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

Hello everyone! I just wanted to thank you for all your considerate advice.

I didn't get the gig I auditioned for on Thursday (but after playing with them I didn't really want it and that may have shown - it was bad enough that I don't know what I'm doing, but they didn't really know what they were doing either... it was a mess).

But, I auditioned for another one last night. I had a really good rappor with the singer via e-mail and was just really honest about not having played for so long and getting back on the horse and being an amateur, but also being willing to work hard and accept advise. That apparently shot me to the top of their list before even hearing me play. Then after 2 or 3 songs, (I just stuck to roots and played with timing to groove a little), they offered me the gig.

So, I owe this all to Low Down Low Down (and craigslist). Thanks guys.

Way to go! :thu::thu::thu:

That is so awesome!

What kind of music will you be performing?

How long has the band been together?

How many band members and what do they play?

(My "Inquiring Mind" wants to know!!! :D )

Congrats again!

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Right on, Penny!! Congrats!! :thu:
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Congrats on the gig !!

A point that comes out in your story is that auditioning is a two-way street. You get to choose and they get to choose.

I'm with Connie - give us all the info!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for all the support everyone. Here's the info. for Connie and anyone else interested.

name: hollywood house party

genre: classic rock (mostly covers, some originals)

time: about 1 year, although the drummer they now have has only been with them for about 3 months.

musicians: drummer, lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist/singer, and they're going to audition keyboardists (and they want me to do some singing too - eeeek!)

Archived