Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Webstrings anyone?

bassplayer7770

I tried a set of their nickel strings last year and wasn't impressed, but I decided to give them another shot and bought a couple sets of their Stainless Steel strings. For the money, I'm pretty impressed, and the playability is much better than the previous set I tried. However, I'm still trying to decide if they "sound" different than other strings (namely, Ken Smith Rock Masters).

Any thoughts or experiences?

Edit: In case somebody doesn't know what I'm talking about, check out www.webstrings.com . :)

Rig:

Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Fender Deluxe V (Bartolini pickups and BTB-01 preamp)

Schecter Diamond Series Model T

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bspangle@yahoo.com:

I actually like their nickle strings. I use them their light gauge, which is very light. The bass intonates better with the thinner strings and they are bright enough for my uses...plus they are cheap enough to change the strings fairly often.

Have you compared them to other brands at all? If so, what are your thoughts?

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

Originally posted by dcr:

I sure like the price--about half of what Smiths cost. But as Bob says, life's too short for bad tone...so I'd be very interested to know if the sound is worth it. Intriguing!

Last year I would have told you they sound bad and weren't worth the money. However, they seem to have improved. Still, I wish I could do an easy side-by-side comparison versus the Ken Smiths (actually, through Musician's Friend the Rock Masters are only a few dollars more per set). Perhaps I'll get a chance to do that soon since my Yamaha is strung with Ken Smiths and the Rev with Webstrings. Of course, they're two different basses tonally.

Rig:

Eden WT-400

Boss ME-50B

The Mac - My cover band

I've used markly Blue Steels, Rotosound, Ken Smith, Carvins (i liked them 'til they went to the tapercore crap), Ernie Balls, and D'Addario, and others through the years. I like the webstrings as well as I've liked most of the others. Here's what I've found out about my particular preferences:

1) I much prefer nickle coated to stainless steel. Stainless strings as a ruleare too "twangy" for my tastes when I play them.

2) Most of the "brand name" strings call their 5 string "light" or "extra light" even though they

might start with an 0.045 "g".

3) I very much prefer extra light strings for both the way they sound and for the way they feel. I will admit, however, that it took a few days for me to get used to the feel of a 0.045 "D" (!!!) string, which is what the webstring's 5 string light uses.

The only way to know for sure is to try strings yourself. It isn't much of a gamble to try these and they do pay for the postage.

Archived