Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've always loved these basses!

onamission

Ampeg Scroll top basses have a place in my heart. Here's a fine example someone in Chitown has for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569428795&category=4713

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

What's the body material on those things? Plexiglass? Looks interesting, though not really what I'd want in an "exotic" bass.

Wood! Boz Burrel used to play one of these, I believe his was fretless though. Listen to some old Bad Company and you'll here one of these. Scroll's are not really exotic just ultra vintage.

- Jon

-----

You have the right to remain in the groove, any solos cannot be used against you, you have the right to snap and pop, if you cannot snap and pop, two fingers can provide the funk just fine.

Originally posted by onamission:

Wood! Boz Burrel used to play one of these, I believe his was fretless though. Listen to some old Bad Company and you'll here one of these. Scroll's are not really exotic just ultra vintage.

Okay. Thanks. I didn't know, as I don't usually hunt down too many vintage pieces. I much prefer my stuff new at this point in time. My only reference point was the plexiglass model that was made for Ampeg by Dan Armstrong (right?).

Thanks again. :)

Some trivia:

Ampeg did make a plastic/fiberglass1 URB many years ago,

Ampeg got it's name because the company began making pickups for URB. They put transducers on the endpin...hence the name Ampeg, for "amplified peg."

The scroll has a function in a violin family instrument. Builders hang instruments by the scroll on wires at the roof of the finish room. In this way, they can apply finish evenly around the entire instrument at the same time, rather than do the top, do the bottom.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

[QB My only reference point was the plexiglass model that was made for Ampeg by Dan Armstrong (right?).

Thanks again. :) [/QB]

Correct. Dan made some clear acrylic or plexi's for Ampeg.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

[QB I've always had a fascination with those basses as well. I got to play one at Bass NW once, very cool instruments.

[/QB]

I've never had the pleasure to play one. How was it??

- Jon

-----

Originally posted by onamission:

I've never had the pleasure to play one. How was it??

Tasty!

Great tone and the neck didn't feel like a 2x4 in my hands. If I had endless amounts of money, I'd consider buying this sucker.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

[QBGreat tone and the neck didn't feel like a 2x4 in my hands. If I had endless amounts of money, I'd consider buying this sucker.[/QB]

Thanks!

I love the way they sound, especially the fretless ones! Maybe one these days......

- Jon

-----

So Cool!

The seller wrote quite a novel didn't he! I think that's the longest post I've ever seen on ebay :D

Ampeg came up with some real original stuff. I sure would like to mess around with some of 'em.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by basshappi:

So Cool!

The seller wrote quite a novel didn't he! I think that's the longest post I've ever seen on ebay :D

Ampeg came up with some real original stuff. I sure would like to mess around with some of 'em.

From what I understand, Scrolls with good necks are hard to find. Most of the ones I've seen for sale are in need of repair or have been highly modified. Remember an outfit by the name of "The Call"? They were one of those "80's" bands. Anyhow, we went to see them in concert when they were opening for the "Psychedelic Furs". Their bassist/vocalist was playing one of the fretless Ampeg scrolls. He had modified it with a set of Pbass pups. It sounded great!

- Jon

-----

Archived