Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright strings on electric?

zen2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Zen2, Welcome to the Lowdown!

In answer to you question, NO, upright strings will not even fit on an electric they are far too long! If you are looking for a Dub style sound flat wound or tape wound strings are the norm.Do a 'search' (upper right hand corner)for more info.

Also stop by the "Introduce yourself" thread and give us your bio!

Cheers :wave:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

There are plenty of flatwounds around, or selective EQing and cabinet selections if you want to get nappy. Mess with strings that are not designed for electric bass is just foolish. Try the Carvin or Dean Markley flats and remember that flats of the same gauges as roundwounds feel like they have more tension because they are less flexible. So if you don't have monster grip you may want to start out with a lighter set of guages than you would use with rounds.

Originally posted by  :

... and remember that flats of the same gauges as roundwounds feel like they have more tension because they are less flexible. So if you don't have monster grip you may want to start out with a lighter set of guages than you would use with rounds.

That's a great tip. Wish I'd known it before purchasing my first set of Roto flats (and soon getting frustrated with them.)

.....and Welcome Back, guy. :thu:

-Mike

...simply stating.

Originally posted by zen2:

Had this recommended to me for a dubby bass sound... can anyone confirm that this works or sounds decent?

It may work but they'll be very long and very expensive. You'd be better off trying heavy gauge flatwounds such as LaBella's Jamerson strings, they'll get you a similar tone at a reasonable price and they'll fit.

Alex

Tapewound strings are deader sounding than flatwounds.

Sometimes people have a little trouble getting tapewound strings (which are a little thicker) through the bridge.

You know, it won't kill you to buy a few sets of strings and experiment.

Sax players will buy a whole box of reeds and decide that only like one of them.

Random OT joke:

How many sax players does it take to change a lightbulb?

Only one, but he has to go through a whole box of lightbulbs before he finds the right one.

Double Bass strings don't all have the metallic content for magnetic strings; I have magnetic pickups for URBs and mention that specifically, that you are restricted to certain strings that will work with magnetic pickups as a result.

Grab a set of D'Addario Chromes, fat, thick, and punchy, lotsa lows.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Sax players will buy a whole box of reeds and decide that only like one of them.

True... and sometimes we learn to modify the reeds out of the box, sand or trim them so we can get more good reeds for our $$$. I might liken this to adjusting tone controls, setup, and everything else involved in getting bass sound from brain to air.

Random OT joke:

How many sax players does it take to change a lightbulb?

Only one, but he has to go through a whole box of lightbulbs before he finds the right one.[/QB]

Ahem... there are sax players in the room. :D

We blame this phonomenon on the manufacturer. GE is brighter the Sylvania, but they aren't consistent. And now they have 5 different types of bulbs that are shaped different and have various output.

The bulbs they sell at the dollar store are good, but don't expect them to last for more than one gig. Classical players prefer lightbulbs made from French glass, except for German trained players who will buy bulbs from only one region of France and they must be made between 1947 and 1956, between certian serial numbers.

This is why I hang at the bass forum...

Reeds or strings (or mouthpieces and pickups, etc)... we create job security for product developers.

- Matt W.

Archived