Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my meeting with Tom Capasso

jeremy c

Last night I met one of our fearless moderators, Tom Capasso. We had dinner and then hung out and played and talked bass.

He's a great guy and the forum is truly blessed to have him volunteering his time to be moderator.

Here are the pictures of the infamous incident.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/tomwithblue.jpg

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/jeremywithblue.jpg

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/TomandJeremy.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a little unclear on that one too Bumpcity...

;)

At any rate TC is a cool guy and a class act. Never met him in person but I have had the pleasure of talking on the phone a time or two.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I am curious as well, was the meeting in NY or Ca. Anyway, it was great to meet Tom, when I met him a few weeks ago. Hey Tom, you could probably run for president ;) . At the rate you're going you will get all of the fellow forumites votes.

How 'bout dat?

Ya found a way to make the blue bass the star anyway!

Nice Shirt, Jeremy. Wish I had one.

Nice Shirt Tom. That's more my style, actually.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Thanks to all the posters that are supporting my candidacy (or is it lunacy?). My company sent me to the bay area to teach a class this week. As soon as I got the word, I emailed Jeremy and Wally. Neither live exactly where I'm staying, but both have been kind enough to come visit (I didn't rent a car, so I'm kinda stuck).

As Jeremy said, we had dinner and then pulled some equipment into my hotel (I got one of the desk folks to let us into a conference room). Jeremy brought an old Roland cube that had a great sound and more volume than we needed. So much so that the person at the desk had to ask us to turn down !!!

While Jeremy was setting up the amp, I grabbed one of the two gig bags and opened it. Inside was a Fender Jazz from '71 - and I was in shock - it wasn't blue :P . It was a well-played instrument, and had a fine feel and sound. Then the Blue Lull came out - what a beauty. It turns out that Jeremy had gone to Mike Lull and had one made for me just like Willie said. OK - that didn't happen, but it is a beauty. We sat around and talked and played. Jeremy talked about his "conversion" from rock to funk in the way-back days and played some lines. He also treated me to a chordal version of "Girl From Ipanema". You all know from his posts that he's a hard-working guy. The years of playing showed by the ease with which he could tackle lines. I was impressed by his fret-hand finger independence. We went over a few lines discussing different ways to play them, and Jeremy always had a few different approaches. I couldn't always keep up because I can't work my fingers like that!! He also took the time to teach me about harmonics.

Over all, we just had a great time. It's got me hoping I get to meet every bass player, because I find I enjoy the experience so much.

So thanks again, Jeremy, for making the trip and bringing the equipment. And thanks for the lessons ;)

Tom

P.S. When I came into the hotel tonight, Yolanda was at the desk. I apologized again for disturbing anyone - she said it was fine. Then I asked her if I could use the room again because I had 10 bagpipe players that I needed to work with. Her face went blank (I think she didn't know what a bagpipe was, and has little sense of humor).

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I just got in from an evening with Wally Malone. Two moderators in one city !!!

Wally was kind enough to come by and pick me up - and off to Gelb Music we went. Wally even brought his Alembic 6, Kubicki, and EBS pedal board with him so I could try them out. The Alembic is solid and beautiful, but just not my "feel" (and I have enough trouble with 5). The Kubicki is a work of art. I was playing away on it when Wally looked up and said "you look pretty comfortable with that" - what an understatement! That thing is really outstanding. I tried the pedals as well. I always thought I wanted a sub-octave, but I realized that I probably wouldn't use it much. The pedal works and sounds great, with smooth tracking and adjustments. The IQ pedal is an envelope filter. Again, not for me, but Wally made it sing. The Unichorus pedal did work for me - so even sounding and clear. I loved playing upper register lines with it.

Wally treated me to some chord work on the 6, and a bit of warp speed slap (on a Fender '51 reissue). What a cool player. I also managed to try a Lull Modern 5V - the neck dimensions were close to my Kinal, but the body was bigger. I'd rather a Modern 5. A beautiful instrument at an incredibly low cost.... And I played an MTD 5 (still think the Bart preamp is too high-intensive), and a Peavey Cirrus fretless. I like the Cirrus line very much. While I had the Cirrus at hand, Wally started playing a jazz chord progression on an F bass, and I walked around underneath. I could rarely tell exactly where he was going, but managed to fit some line in just the same. Hey - it's jazz - as long as you keep moving you can get away with it. It was cool to watch Wally play - an accomplished player with skills and taste.

They had the new Mesa combo (with the built-in WalkAbout amp) that 57pbass has. Man !! That thing sounded great and has lots of volume. What a solid bit of work - excellent tone, and only 60 pounds!!

When we walked into Gelb, Keith was on duty and made us feel at home as we took over the bass area. At one point he asked us to stop playing so a guy could try a bass and pedal. So (of course) we did. The guy was trying a used Ibanez R300 and a Boss ODB3. After a while, I asked him what he thought. He wasn't thrilled with the pedal - too much high crunch. We talked a bit, and I made some suggestions about changing the dials on the pedal to get what he was looking for - and he bought the pedal (and I think the Ibanez, which I played and was pretty cool). Hey JLSound - I interfered with another customer ;)

After Gelb closed, Wally and I found a place for dinner. What a gentleman he is! He really loves music, musicians, and the forum folks. It's great for me (and Bob G) to be working with such a warm person. We got on famously and it was a great evening. Wally took me back to the hotel, which left him a long ride home (for which I'm grateful). Wally - thanks for a great evening.

What a week !!! Jeremy and Wally !!

And it gets better. My job is sending me to Princeton NJ for a long assignment. I'll be calling Bob G next week so I can meet him face to face. And Princeton isn't so far from Philly, so CMDN will be getting to see me again as well.

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

And the TC American tour continues!

Thanks for the update. Again, it's great to hear about when forum members get together.

I thought Wally's Kubicki was a great instrument as well -- very comfortable to play. Plus, Wally's been adding his personal "mojo" to it for years now. :D

Gelb's a nice shop. I certainly enjoyed it when Wally, Jeremy, and Whappo took me there!

Peace,

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov-Capasso:

... Hey JLSound - I interfered with another customer ;)

Tom, thats okay, with the advice and knowledge you provide, I just might start saving some money, so when I decide to buy another Bass, I will ask you to come along. ;):thu: . Glad you are having fun with our west coast brothers. :thu:

After the drive home last night I was tired and didn't get on the computer until now after sleeping in this morning. Well it's hard to add to Tom's great detailed review of our evening together. I will say that we're all very lucky to have Tom here as a moderator for the Lowdown, he's a true gentleman with a sincere interest in the forum members and all things bass. Even though Tom talks about the styles which he is comfortable I feel that he could step up to the plate in other musical environments if the opportunity presented itself.

On the equipment we played, I was also impressed with the Mesa amp. I had played the WalkAbout amp at another store awhile back and thought it would be a great amp to play classic rock but I think that may have been from the speaker cabinet I had tried with it. I liked the tone of the combo we played last night. Here we are in a store that has some of the greatest basses and the first one I picked up was the Fender '51 reissue, still think they would be a great bass for a blues gig. I liked the Mike Lull five that we played but really liked the six-string F bass.

As much as I enjoy trying out equipment it was a real pleasure to sit down at dinner with Tom (thanks for the great dinner Tom) and learn a little more about each other. Every now and then I get to go to NYC to the AFM headquarters. When that happens I look forward to meeting more of the NYC Lowdowners.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

One thing I forgot to mention was how great it was that Tom took the time to help out one of the customers at the store who was trying out an overdrive pedal. I believe what Tom showed him actually closed the sale for the store. It's too bad I didn't have a gig when Tom was here and get to experience his roadie abilities. :D

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived