Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tonality

Cephas

Hmmm, i have a very big question. Do anyone have any specific guide regarding the tonality of the bass guitar and the adjustment of the (treble, mid, high) of the bass amp.

I am also having problem knowing how to adjust the knobs of the bass guitar to have the best tonality for finglestyle. I know all of us have different types of bass, but i hope to get a rough guide or some help here.

Cephas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turn both pickups up full, then turn the neck pickup down slightly, and turn the tone knob up full. Turn all the knobs on the amp to 12 o'clock (i.e. no cut or boost) and leave them there.

Once you've got used to how everything sounds like this and how many different sounds you can get by plucking harder or softer in different places, try adjusting just one knob at a time slightly and note how it affects the sound. Repeat ad nauseam and everything will start to make sense.

Alex

Hi Cephas, the answers to your question are legion! Made more complex by the fact that tonality is subjective. Give us an idea of what kind of tone that you are after. Perhaps you could give an example of a particular artist's tone that most closely matches what you mean.You mention fingerstyle, however, I would point out that both Jaco and Jamerson were fingerstyle players yet have radically different tone.See what I mean? :)

Give us some examples

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It makes a difference whether your bass is active (has a battery) or passive. On an active bass, turn the main volume all the way up, & put the tone-shaping knobs at center (no boost, no cut), & adjust from there. On a passive bass, put everything all the way up, & adjust from there by cutting in different degrees & combinations.

I'd generally follow what Alex said above: Set everything flat on the amp and bass and go from there. Every amp/bass/set of hands are different so there is no "right answer."

I think that most of us here would also agree to leave your tone knob(s) on your bass untouched (for now at least), and instead use the eq on your amp (more flexibility this way.)

For which pickup to use (assuming you have two pickups), the neck pickup will be smoother w/ more bass, while the bridge pickup will have more bite and definition. Again, start in the middle and adjust according to your ears.

If you are playing w/ guitarists, a beginners trick is to boost the low-mids on your amp to cut through the volume (much easier on the ears than simply turning the entire amp up.)

welcome,

scooty

Ah, nice marmot.

Archived